Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Continuous Deployment of runbooks

I have runbooks that are stored in source control which then get deployed to Azure Automation. The process of deploying them is rather cumbersome (basically a bunch of hand crafted Powershell scripts that call the Azure Automation cmdlets). It seems to me that there are going to be lots of people crafting the same kind of scripts - that's a lot of wheel-reinvention going on.
    I'd like to see some features introduced that support quick and easy Continuous Deployment of runbooks (i.e. I check them into source control and they automatically get deployed to Azure Automation).

Some ideas:
    -Support Continuous…

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Start-AzAutomationSourceControlSyncJob Add SyncType parameter to invoke 'Incremental' syncs

The Start-AzAutomationSourceControlSyncJob function only triggers a FullSync from a connected Azure DevOps Repo, which can sometimes take a long time if you have lots of runbooks in a repo. Can we add a pramater to this to trigger an optional incremental sync?

Use Case
    The Azure Automation account has this option as a feature toggle but not something that can be triggered ad-hoc after a full sync outside of Azure Automation. We don't want to use the AutoSync feature as we want to control the upload of runbooks via Azure DevOps pipelines with approvals etc. then trigger a sync job…

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

3. Source Control integration - preserve logging settings

I've noticed that every time Azure Automation syncs up a new version of the runbook (PowerShell script pulled from an Azure DevOps repo) it resets the Logging\Tracing configuration. Is it possible to preserve these settings during sync?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

4. certificate

Windows does not let you export a private key certificate without a password, but there does not seem to be any way to specify a password when using ARM. I'm not sure why the ARM resource requires a base64 string--it would make much more sense to just reference a certificate in an existing Key Vault, like the Compute team does.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base