How can we improve Azure Automation service?

Improve error message upon failed compilation

I just attempted to run a runbook and was presented with this error in the Azure portal:
Compilation error while building dependent workflows. For details see C:\Users\Client\Temp\PSWorkflowCompilation\Workflow_83e005c5eb8144cb8dbc7eb0b9055ffa\Project\Build.Log.

Not very helpful given that I cannot access that build log. please could you just give me the error log instead.

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jamie Thomson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded  · 

Thanks for the feedback. Would you be able to provide the repro steps for this/explain the root cause? We can look into improving this behavior.

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • joe brockhaus (rax) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came across this recently as well.

To investigate the issue, I created a single workflow that had all my dependent workflows nested inside it, then tried executing it locally. The same error will be produced but obviously point to a local build log file within the Windows Workflow csproj that is created during compilation.

• AdminBeth Cooper (Admin, Microsoft Azure) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No worries. We actually had another user hit a similar issue & have a bug tracking this. In this case, if a string parameter is sent into a child runbook as an empty string, a log file is displayed instead of the error contained in the log. This bug actually falls back to the PowerShell team, but our team is tracking its status.

• Jamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Beth,
    I'm sorry, I don't recall. My bad, I'm usually (fairly) diligent about collecting evidence for things like this - guess I was busy at the time or something. My apologies.

Feedback and Knowledge Base