Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. It would be nice to be able to rename things like a schedule for a runbook.

It would be nice to be able to rename things like a schedule for a runbook.

128 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    13 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Dynamic menu for Input Parameters and/or Activities. Either a drop-down or multi-select list, etc.

1. As an Input Parameter to the Runbook, an array of possible values could be presented to the admin either as a drop-down or multi-select list, e.g., a list of servers. Ideally populated from any valid Data Source.
    2. Same idea but in Activities. Currently Out-GridView and Read-host are available in the Azure Automation cmdlet library but are not supported due to the design of Posh Workflow.

Closest existing feature request I could find is:
    http://feedback.azure.com/forums/246290-azure-automation/suggestions/6560476-display-parameter-help-messages-in-ui

127 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Azure Automation Cannot Connect to Azure SQL using Azure Active Directory (ADAL)

Azure Automation cannot connect to Azure SQL using the Azure Active Directory Admin Account as Azure Automation does not have the ADALsql.dll. Please add this .dll. You can see here for more information: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45107165/create-adalsql-dll-azure-automation-module-the-module-was-expected-to-contain-a

124 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to be able to Re-Run Azure Automation jobs with the same parameters

A lot of times during unit testing as well as development we face the need to re-run the jobs after executing it once with the same parameters. It would be a lot more productive if we could re-run our jobs so that we dont have to manually enter the same values again (Via the portal as well as via the cmdlets)

113 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow bash, perl, php scripts on Azure Automation

Will be great allow bash, perl or php scripts on automation scripts

113 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. hybrid Worker should have different pricing model or priced than runbooks running in Azure

Hybrid Worker should have different pricing model or priced than runbooks running in Azure.

105 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Provide Visual Studio Authoring capabilities

Provide the same authoring capabilities being provided in Azure Automation in Visual Studio. Would have the ability to create runbooks and assets and upload them to Azure Automation. Be able to download existing runbooks and assets to Visual Studio.

98 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add support for Azure CLI Runbooks in Automation

This feature is requested at the below item, but it is closed to votes since it was moved from another product. Recreating so it can receive votes to reflect the frequent comments.
    https://feedback.azure.com/forums/246290-automation/suggestions/31482895-add-support-to-automation-for-az-cli

The ask is to be able to create Runbooks that run Azure CLI commands, not PowerShell, as there is functionality in CLI that is not achieved with PowerShell in some cases.

97 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Provide CredSSP support

Could you add CredSSP support to Azure Automation?

There are many PowerShell cmdlets that require a server double hop with credentials. When a call is made to Enable-WSManCredSSP an access denied is returned.

Not having the ability to perform server double hops with credentials prevents the ability to create a new SQL cluster (sqlps - new-cluster) or a new SharePoint farm (Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell - New-SPConfigurationDatabase).

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Automatically upgrade PowerShell modules which is installed in an Azure Automation account

Currently, it is necessary to manually upgrade the modules which is installed in an Azure Automation account periodically. Some customer feel manual upgrade of PS modules inconvenient and high-maintenance. It would be great if you can choose manually or automatically upgrading of Azure PS modules in an Automation account.

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Run as credentials for specific runbooks

It would be great to have to possiblity, to run a specific runbook on a HybridWorker, with a specific credential, other that the one defines on the HybridWorker, as 'Run as' credentials.

The example being:

SQL interactions. Right now, we either need to use an SQL user or add the HybridWorker run-as account, as a member of the group/SQL server that gives access.
    It would be nice to have the ability to change the run-as account on that specific runbook, to support a credential with the required permissions in SQL.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. variables to provide execution context

Please provide built in variables so that an executing runbook can know stuff about itself. e.g.:
    -CurrentAutomationAccount
    -Me (would return the name of the runbook).

Here's an example of why this would be useful. I want to call New-AzureAutomationSchedule & Register-AzureAutomationScheduledRunbook so that the current executing runbook can schedule itself to run again after a specified period of time. Unfortunately New-AzureAutomationSchedule has a required parameter "AutomationAccountName". This obviously isn't something that I want to hardcode into the runbook so I need a way to access the containing account. The only way to do this is to deploy a variable that…

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Rename an Azure Automation Account?

I have multiple runbooks within my Account but I need to rename the account - I cannot see this via the portal.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Webhook input data not well formed

When using a webhook with an alert the Alert will send the json payload to the run book with the associated webhook just fine. The issue is if you try and use the input data in a test the entire webhook has extra char's in the input result causing the input data to be invalid when attempting to run this under the test blade.
    Suggest that the parsing routine remove the extra characters to allow the input data to be well formed.

Input data in job in azure.
    {"WebhookName":"TestHook","RequestBody":"{\"status\":\"Activated\",\"context\":{\"condition\":{\"metricName\":\"CPU Percentage\",\"metricUnit\":\"Percent\",\"metricValue\":\"4\",\"threshold\":\"2\",\"windowSize\":\"5\",\"timeAggregation\":\"Average\",\"operator\":\"GreaterThanOrEqual\"},\"resourceName\":\"apidev\",\"resourceType\":\"microsoft.web/serverfarms\",\"resourceRegion\":\"West US\",\"portalLink\":\"https://portal.azure.com/#resource/subscriptions/mysubscription/resourceGroups/ApiDev/providers/Microsoft.Web/serverfarms/ApiDev\",\"timestamp\":\"2016-04-26T16:37:33.5939787Z\",\"id\":\"/subscriptions/mysubscription/resourceGroups/ApiDev/providers/microsoft.insights/alertrules/CPUHigh%20ApiDev\",\"name\":\"CPUHigh ApiDev\",\"description\":\"The average CPU is high across all the…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Webhooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Closing this out since this is by design and not actually a bug. Feel free to post back if you have any additional questions around this.

15. Remove Azure Automation (Integration) Module

When using Azure Automation Integration Modules you don't have an option to remove a Module when you don't use that module anymore.

I would like to have the option to remove a Module in Azure Automation when I don't need that module anymore.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This functionality is available today. You can navigate to Assets > Modules and select the module that you want to remove. Click the delete button at the top to delete the module.

You will not be able to delete global modules – modules that Automation provides out of the box. You can however overwrite them by uploading a module with the same name. In this case, you can delete out the module that you have imported to override the global module, and revert to the original global module.

Feel free to follow up with any questions.

16. Get-AzureAutomationAccount Cmdlet defaults to wrong subscription

When using Get-AzureAutomationAccount with no parameters with multiple subscriptions and each of those with multiple automation accounts, the Automation accounts returned are not from the Subscription that contains the Automation account used to execute the Runbook that called the Cmdlet.

To get the correct Automation Accounts, you need to explicitly select the subscription using the Select-AzureSubscription Cmdlet.

To me it makes sense for it to return one of the following:

a) Returns the Automation Accounts in the Subscription used by the Automation Account that called the Cmdlet

b) Error stating you need to specify the subscription before calling the Cmdlet

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

See Joe’s comment for why we are closing out this feedback.

17. powershell not finding automationaccount when automation was provisioned using new portal

When creating a new Azure Automation Account via the new portal, no automation account is created in the old portal. Therefore, the current cmdlets cannot find any automation accounts.
    I checked the automation authoring toolkit code-behind to figure out a way, but can't see any

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is the intended behavior. Automation will move all of the resources from the old portal (Azure Service Management – ASM API) to the new portal (Azure Resource Manager – ARM API).

You should use the new ARM cmdlets to manage your Azure Automation resources: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt619373.aspx. When you use these cmdlets, you will get all of your Azure Automation resources (whether they are created in the old or new portal).

You will also get new functionality which didn’t exist in the old API. For example, you can use hybrid workers to manage On-Prem resources, Desired State Configuration, PowerShell scripts (not just workflows), and Graphical runbooks.

18. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. We need to be able to edit Automation Schedules, currently we have to delete and recreate to change the time and/or job specification

Hi,

This is a copy of my question:

Hi,

I am currently using Azure Automation to scale up and down SQL Azure instances, using a great runbook, see SQL Azure Vertical Scale Runbook

The current Automation Schedule seems very restricted. The inability to edit a schedule is most frustrating, unless I have missed something, which I hope I have. Each time I want to alter a parameter for the schedule like a job detail value ie database name or schedule details such as frequency, I have to delete and re-add the schedule. If I have made a mistake, I have…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Automation First 500 minutes should be Free in the Basic tier

The first 500 minutes should be Free in the Basic tier for Azure Automation accounts. It only makes sense that I should start paying for minutes after the 500 free minutes are used up. Otherwise, every month I have to switch back to the Free tier to use up the free 500 minutes, then switch to the Basic tier to start paying for the 500+ minutes.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Discussed this with our team and this is not a change that we will make to billing. Thank you for posting this, and do let us know if this becomes a real blocking factor for you to use the service.

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base