Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. PowerShell cmdlet to get Runbook context.

It would be great if you could use in runbook code something like Get-RunbookContext to retrieve the current ResourceGroup and/or Automation Account the runbook is executing in. Then it would be much easier to locate Automation Account Assets like connections and variables without the need to hard-code them into your Runbook. The PowerShell commands available to retrieve and use assets require you to specify the ResourceGroup and Automation Account the asset is stored under.

94 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add possibility to end a test job when it hangs.

Sometimes when running code in a PS runbook something seems to hang. I'm getting the following error although the job probably finished long time ago:
    "BadRequest: Test job is already running."
    I would like to have the opportunity to clear any running test jobs to bypass this bug.

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. WebHook Job Monitoring

Allow people to use the same WebHook Url used for triggering a runbook for querying job status.
    Instead of doing a HTTP POST (used for triggering) you could allow a HTTP GET with the JobId as parameter. This would be a lightweight alternative for consuming runbook results no matter client and platform.
    Note: Using the same url means same access token which leads to monitoring being possible for the lifetime of the access token.

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Webhooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to rerun a job with same parameters of the last job

The feature I propose is a 'Rerun Command’. I have a ‘crude’ mockup attached. Clicking on Rerun would bring up the Start Runbook blade; but with the parameter values prepopulated with the same values from the previous execution. I can now modify any value, if necessary, or just click OK, to start the job quickly.

I see myself rerunning my runbook with mostly the same values. When I have many input parameters, I have to be very careful not to mess up any values, and what I do now is open two browser windows. Open the previous job’s Input blade…

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support populating and displaying arrays for account-level Variables

While it's possible to set arrays with Set-AutomationVariable, they cannot be displayed or edited from UI.
    It makes them a bit inconvenient - if I have a job that I need to execute against a set of something, I need to have separate jobs to validate and change that set.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Outgoing WebHooks

It would be nice if it was possible to register callbacks for events like "Runbook Status Changed".
    This would allow people to execute runbooks using your existing WebHooks concept (HTTP POST), store the jobid and consume the result of the runbook through the callback once completed.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Webhooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Change behavior when sandbox runs out of memory (1MB max to one stream limit)

There is currently a maximum limit of 1MB when outputting values to the any stream (Serialized size per object in pipeline).
    I understand why this limit is there, but I don't think the current behavior is the right way to go.

Current behavior is that the runbook restarts, and runs 3 times until it is stopped with the following error:

Suspended
    The job action 'Activate' cannot be run, because the process stopped unexpectedly. The job action was attempted 3 times.

If we run it on look at the eventlog on a hybrid worker (this error also happens in Azure workers),…

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for posting this feedback! I’m checking with our team to see if there is anything that we can do about this in the short term. We’ll definitely take this into consideration in our longer term plans.

8. Display Parameter Help Messages in UI

When using [Cmdletbinding()] along with parameter property Helpmessage and [ValidatePattern()] it would be nice if these messages were fed back to the user interface. Right now the users have to guess what the parameter allows them to input through trial and error.

For example:

[code]

[Cmdletbinding()]

param (

[Parameter(Mandatory=$true),HelpMessage='Enter 1 computername']
    [ValidateNotNullOrEmpty()]
    [string] $Computer

)

In the console, when referencing a workflow with this parameter set you could enter !? to get the help message.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We will look at making these modifications to starting a runbook job.

9. Allow description/instructions of parameters to be seen by person starting a runbook

I have a PowerShell runbook that requires input for several parameters. I'd like to customize the text here when someone starts the runbook. For example, to let the automation operator know that this input is required to be less than 10 characters, or must have numbers, etc. This looks similar to these:
    1) https://feedback.azure.com/forums/246290-automation/suggestions/6560476-display-parameter-help-messages-in-ui
    2) https://feedback.azure.com/forums/246290-automation/suggestions/10921377-open-up-for-helpmessage-and-validation-to-be-suppo

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Increase 1MB Size Limit for DSC Node Configurations (MOF files)

Azure DSC node configuration (MOF files) are currently limited to 1 MB in size. This limitation does not allow for significantly detailed or complex configurations.

In my specific scenario, we have several IIS websites in a our web farm and we've hit the limit of how many unique websites we can configure per server because the MOF file is larger than 1 MB. The resulting error is that the MOF cannot be encrypted by Azure DSC Automation.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Desired State Configuration Source Control

Provide the ability to sync DSC Configurations with remote GitHub Repo's. Similar to how the Runbook integration works. When a push to a Git Repo is made, synchronise it with the Azure Automation Account.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make securestring a supported input type for runbooks

As of right now you can´t secure the runbook input. Using a string works fine but it leaves the password for example in the input as plain text. If we could write the password as a secure string instead, that would be great and solutions to reset passwords etc. would be safe to implement in production.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Schedule exclusions

It would be nice to be able to exclude specific dates from schedules. For instance one might want to schedule a runbook every Friday of the month except on Friday 13th or if the Monday of the month is the 1st of that month. (like we could do in Orchestrator)

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Fixed IP for Automation PowerShell sandbox in order to fit ACL requirements for public endpoints

If VM has external endpoints (WinRM, SSH) protected by ACL, the Azure Automation doesn't able to connect for such VMs.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Git (Stash) Source Control Support or TFS On-Prem

Would be good if we could connect to our Stash server rather than having to use GitHub. Alternatively we have an on-prem TFS setup that we could also use. Data sovereignty issues prevent the use of GitHub/VSO at this time.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on this! We are definitively interested in private/on-prem scenarios for source control.
    As we start to do more development in this area, our team will follow up to get more details about your specific needs.

16. Open up for HelpMessage and Validation to be supported in Automation runbooks input parameters.

Ability to describe and validate required parameters in more detail, in the Test Pane. Instead of starting a runbook that will fail due to wrong inputs, users will have to correct these wrong typings before initiation of the runbook.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Enable Implicit Remoting

I don't seem to be able to use implicit remoting to manage things like Exchange Online or the Office 365 Compliance Center, which leverages Exchange as well.

This is a hurdle for me as I can't migrate some of our important jobs to Azure Automation. Is it possible to enable implicit remoting in the PowerShell environment?

Thanks!

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this feedback. We will take a look.

Also, do you have an example of a command that you are trying to use right now? I’ve heard of other customers managing Exchange & O365 with Automation, so there might be a different way to perform the task you are trying to do.

18. Edit the name of assets and runbooks

To be able to edit name/description or asset/runbook

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can currently edit the description on runbooks and assets. To do this for runbooks, go to the Configuration page.

On the names, would the ability to add a friendly name (that you can edit at any time) be sufficient or are you hoping to change the workflow name as well?

19. Surface runbook errors in the Automation account overview page like runbook exceptions are surfaced

Currently if my runbook is having issues and I look at the overview page, I can only see exceptions of the runbook. The runbook may hit errors during execution, which do not show up on this page.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Move "Run on" to runbook settings

It doesn't make sense to have "Run on" dynamically selecteable. Please move it to "Runbook settings" so that we can do a one-time configuration of whether a runbook should run using hybrid workers or cloud-based workers.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base