Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. startup

why not to add "startup" function instad of only "shutdown" in VM manager?

I can use automation, but almost run error. it's too hard to use. I hope new feature of "auto start up" VM for the next times.

Thank you!

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are looking at simplifying the automation scripts used for starting and shutting down VMs in your subscription so hopefully that will make it easier to use. We will update with the status here once we have a solution in place.
    Thanks for the feedback.

2. Sort and search assets

Provide the ability to search and sort for all of the different asset types

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

We just added search for runbooks, and assets are in our backlog, but not planned yet. This vote helps us prioritize so thank you for posting!

3. Eliminate dependency upon parent runbooks pubished before child runbooks

I ran into an issue where I had no idea how to fix nor was the error message correct. I called CopyItemtoVM runbook and got an error saying Connect-Azure runbook could not be found. that was only because I had imported the child CA after the parent CITVM. Error message needs to be updated and more importantly this bug is very hard to figure out.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently investigating how we can fix this issue so that it does not matter what order you publish your runbooks in.

But better error messages to explain the actual issue would definitely help too. I’ll keep you posted. :)

4. The Automation Operator account should also have permission to read Hybrid Worker Groups

Having the Automation Operator see what machines are in each group would help him figure out where to start the jobs.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. parameterset

support parametersets in powershell scripts.
    I have several usecases, as with functions where I could benefit from parameterset support.
    Currently Parent - child scripts can be used as a workaround, but include overhead for common features\elements

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Show Minutes for each runbook to complete

Each runbook should show how many minutes it took to complete. This is what we are being billed for. It should be the top and center for every runbook. There should also be average and a forecast based on current schedule.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this suggestion. You can calculate it based on job start and job end times, but makes sense for us to show the calculated runtime in the portal as well.

7. Start-AzureRmAutomationDscCompilationJob incorrect error message when configurationname is incorrect

When calling Start-AzureRmAutomationDscCompilationJob if the configurationname parameter is not a published config, the error message reports that the AutomationAccount is not found.

The correct error should state that the ConfigurationName is not found.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell Module

It'd be great if you could include the latest Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell Module in the gallery.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Runbook-Editor: Add #region-#endregion

Runbook-Editor: Please add #region-#endregion support to the runbook-editor. This would improve working with large runbooks a lot.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Get Subscription ID of Subscription in the runbook

It would make distributed data collection a lot easier if you could obtain the subscription ID or subscription name of the subscription housing a runbook from within the runbook.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Register-AzureAutomationScheduledRunbook does not support assigning to hybrid worker

Register-AzureAutomationScheduledRunbook does not support assigning to hybrid worker. it is only possible via the GUI and ARM.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Co-authoring runbooks

A way to co-author a runbook (simultaniously work on the runbook)

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Option to remove onetime schedule when completed

I have a runbook that schedules itself to run again one hour after it completes. It does this by creating a onetime schedule. The reason for doing this rather than using a regular (i.e. not a onetime) schedule is to prevent the runbook from starting while the previous job is still running (I discussed this approach with Joe Levy here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/06f1b011-1fe2-4a3a-a0a3-88256f83a3ea/can-i-prevent-multiple-instances-of-the-same-runbook-from-running-concurrently?forum=azureautomation)

Unfortunately this means that my Assets screen becomes littered with expired onetime schedules (22 or 23 every day) and there's no simple way to go and clean them all up.

Hence this request is for an option on…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

That’s an interesting idea – thanks for the feedback. We can look into it.

In the meantime, you could probably work around this. I’m not exactly sure what your runbook looks like, but it might make sense to create the schedule with the same name each time, then when the runbook starts again to delete that schedule, then to create it again at the end.

14. Text selection bug in runbook editor for Edge browser

When editing a runbook and trying to select a single line of text, I cannot select all of the text and end of the selection jumps around. You can reproduce easily if the line is a comment and start with a # symbol.

I am running Windows 10 Enterprise build 14257.rs1_release.160131-1800/

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. The ability to disable rerunning of failed job.

I have a powershell script that send out email notifications and if something unexpected fails the script will send email to the same user mulltiple times. Looking into converting to a runbook that checkpoints after each email sent or setting a parameter that will exit the job if attempting to run a second time.

The job action 'Activate' cannot be run, because the process stopped unexpectedly. The job action was attempted 3 times.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To confirm I understand the request, you are looking for:
    1. The ability to monitor runbooks for failures or suspensions
    2. The ability to send an email only once if you hit one of those states.

As you mention, you can write this into your code by writing try/catch statements or by writing additional logic that checks that you only send an email for a specific instance.

If we did create a built in way to do this, do you have any time requirements on how quickly you need this email sent? Would 5-10 minutes be acceptable?

That last error you have there means that there was something in your script that caused the powershell engine to be able to start your runbook 3 times in a row. This could either be an issue with the way that your script is authored or sometimes due to an issue with hybrid…

16. Improve error message upon failed compilation

I just attempted to run a runbook and was presented with this error in the Azure portal:
    Compilation error while building dependent workflows. For details see C:\Users\Client\Temp\PSWorkflowCompilation\Workflow_83e005c5eb8144cb8dbc7eb0b9055ffa\Project\Build.Log.

Not very helpful given that I cannot access that build log. please could you just give me the error log instead.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. Would you be able to provide the repro steps for this/explain the root cause? We can look into improving this behavior.

17. Start/Stop Cloud Services Web/Worker Role using Azure Automation and RunBook

We have many Cloud Service Worker roles running on Dev environment. Dev team does not need them at night and on weekends. It will be awesome to have a RunBook which i could schedule to run at day end to to Stop these Worker Roles. can have another RunBook scheduled early morning to spin them back up.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Right now, you can stop an entire service using Stop-AzureService and start it using Start-AzureService. If you are looking for a more granular solution, you can delete a role instance (see msdn.microsoft.com/library/azure/dn469418.a..) and wrap this call in PS.

Can you let me know if you are looking for one of these solutions? If you are looking for a specific cmdlet that does not exist either as an Azure cmdlet or in the REST API, then I’ll move this request over to cloud services since they own adding this functionality.

18. Increase 5MB limit for CheckPoint

Many cmdlets need to be run as InlineScript. And as Checkpoint are not available in InlineScript trying to assign the returned values from an InlineScript to a variable is a solution.... sometimes.
    When dealing with larger data sets, e.g. Get-MsolUser with +1000 users this no longer works because of a 5 MB limit for a Checkpoint.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this! How large does the data set get with you are working with a function like Get-MsolUser with 1000 users? Also, how frequently do you rely one PowerShell Workflow functionality in your scripts vs. using PowerShell and making the script idempotent?

19. Deploy to Azure Automation: Automation Account Name parameter

When we click on "Deploy to Azure Automation" button on PowerShellGallery.com and choose "Existing" as the value for first parameter, Automation Account Name should be change to a dropdown box prepopulated with the names of existing accounts.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this suggestion! Our team will investigate adding our own blade for deploying from the PowerShell Gallery.

20. Change the interface so it actually makes sense

I have no idea how to change the password for automation. There are ten or twenty screens which I can't seem to find any reference for. I get messages like:

"The running command stopped because the preference variable "ErrorActionPreference" or common parameter is set to Stop: [...]: Error validating credentials. [...]: Invalid username or password"

...and there's nothing about it anywhere on the web. I can't find help. I phone the support and they have no idea what they're talking about. The whole community is full of snark when I ask about such things ("it's easy", "you should know if…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base