Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Runbook Libraries / Repositories

It would be nice to bundle up runbooks related to a certain integration into a library of child repository in Azure. Let me do some explaining on this. Currently I have 235 runbooks for automation which makes managing my environment a little difficult over time. It would be nice to bundle up runbooks related to a solution such as F5 integration. A library could contain the PowerShell module that we created for F5 integration, but the real power would be adding in runbooks that use that module. So I could have a collection of runbooks like Create-VIP, Update-VIP, Delete-VIP, Remove-From-Pool,…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for this suggestion!

Do you want the collection of runbooks and modules visually grouped in a folder-like structure, or are you looking for the ability to export (either to source control or locally) as a solution and to share the collection in your team? Or are you looking for both?

Thanks,
    Beth

2. Allow use of assets (variables) in runbook parameters

We'd welcome the possibility to use Automation account assets (like encrypted variables) when running or scheduling Runbooks.

E.g. we have Storage Account connection strings stored as encrypted variables and we have Runbooks that take a connection string as a parameter. It would be nice if we could just use value of the variable instead of having to look up the value in Azure Storage management.

I know that an alternative is to create a Runbook that will take the variable name as an input or something like that.. But that feels like too close coupling of (at least some generic)…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this suggestion! Our team has looked at this in the past and having your vote for this feature helps us prioritize adding it.

3. View or export Modules

The use of modules is very important in PowerShell authoring. Currently in Azure Automation, once you import a module, there is no way to view the current code that is implemented. This is challenging when you want to update a module or are troubleshooting an existing one. You can refer to source control but there is no guarantee that is what's implemented in Prod. Being able to see what is contained in a module or at least export out the zip would be helpful.

Thanks!

Christopher

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback Christopher! Are you interesting in the global modules or modules that you have imported yourself to Automation?

4. Allow access to Azure KeyVault

Currently, i'm using azureKeyVault for account and secret but it didn't work in DSC automation configuration so i need to push to AzureAutomationCredential to access. Is it possible to allow access keyvault from automation ?

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support for GDI+ on worker

hi all, I'm developing a runbook that generates mail with graphical content using System.Web.DataVisualization.Chart class. Since the runbook grabs data from OMS Log Analytics it is an ideal solution for an Azure worker, alas when I run the runbook I get "A generic error occurred in GDI+'. Any plan to add support for GDI in the Azure worker?

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Cloning Automation Account

It would be useful to be able to clone an Automation Account. By cloning I mean:

• Copying all the variables and assets

• Copying all the Power libraries (IMPORTANT)

• Copying permissions, authorised users, service principal

• Optionally copying all scripts

The reason is that I spent quite a lot of time setting up a production automation account with all the stuff I need and I spend time to maintain it, and I would like to create cloned sandboxes for dev and test purposes.

Thanks

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this feedback.

This request seems fairly similar to this one: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/246290-automation/suggestions/13781724-migrate-runbook-with-assets-to-another-automation, but I’ll leave both open to track as they are slightly different.

You can take a look at syncing via source control or writing a script or ARM template (or both) to manage the deployment as a workaround today. Here is an example of syncing Automation content from Git that might be a useful reference: https://github.com/randorfer/ScorchDev. I know its not the same as having a button to click that does this for you, but it should work for you.

7. Hybrid Worker Maintenance

It would be very helpful to have the ability to "pause" a hybrid worker so that it can complete any running jobs without accepting new jobs. This would allow the worker to become passive for maintenance/patching.

We could then automate the rolling maintenance between hybrid workers to ensure availability and zero runbook downtime.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add node js library

It would be awesome if you would add Azure Automation node library to your azure-sdk-for-node.
    Really looking forward for this!

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for sharing this feedback. As Joe mentioned on GitHub, the team is looking at this.

9. Assign DCS Multiple Node Configurations to a DCS Node

Would be nice to be able to assign multiple DCS node configurations to a DCS node, i.e. the same way we can have multiple GPO assigned to an OU.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add PowerShell support for managing autoscale

I'd like to be able to manage autoscaling my web app from an Azure Automation runbook. A PowerShell interface to manage autoscale settings would be extremely useful for this.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow to enter an AAD user account when manually start a runbook, or allow to use the credentials of the signed-in user (AAD token)

Allow to enter an AAD user account when manually start a runbook (instead of store it as Asset), or allow to use the credentials of the signed-in user (reuse the AAD issued access token)

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We will look into making authentication to Azure easier and will take this suggestion into consideration.

12. "Copy" as in Copy/Past works intermittently from Edit screen

When trying to copy paste data, the copy works intermittently at best. I have not been able to reliably replicate a scenario where this works. I can literally select some text, copy it, paste it to notepad (or something else), then go back to copy something else and it fails to copy still retaining what I last had in the clipboard.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting this! What browser are you using? Does refreshing the portal help with the issue?

13. Please add SQL as Runbook type.

This would make Azure Automation a suitable replacement for SQL Agent. It would require only a few inputs: Server, Database, Credentials and obviously the SQL code to execute.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ability to resize left pane of Edit blade

The left pane of the Edit blade with the CMDLETS/RUNBOOKS/ASSETS dropdowns wastes a lot of horizontal real estate when all the dropdowns are collapsed. It would be nice if this was resizable and/or collapsible.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Status on Module Import

I would really like to be able to get a status for when a module has been fully uploaded and all cmdlets have been extracted.
    Currently I have to make my script sleep for a random time and not be able to extract information whether it has been fully uploaded or not.

Either build a -wait property on the new-azurermautomationModule or some other thing.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Why can’t you use the ProvisioningState property from the Get-AzureRmAutomationModule cmdlet? ProvisioningState should show as “Creating” until all the cmdlets are extracted.

As a side note since it is somewhat related. We are currently working on providing more detailed feedback in the UX on module import status so it is more apparent that the module is still extracting activities. We are also working on bubbling up underlying errors that caused activities to fail to extract.

16. previously working SSH scripts now says "cmdlet not found"

This may be temporary since I've noticed some changes in the preview portal, but my previously (about 12 hours ago) working SSH scripts are now not recognizing Invoke-AutomationSshCommand:

Failed
    The term 'Invoke-AutomationSshCommand' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Linus,

I think this was answered on a few other channels, but wanted to post an update here just in case. We have removed this default module from the service, and do not have a planned ETA on when we will add this back.

I’ll treat this as a vote to add a Microsoft Linux supported module, to help us prioritize when we can get the module back into the service.

Thanks,
    Beth

17. Allow 'Protected' RunBook items in the Admin Portal

Description : Until granular permissions for items becomes available per administrator, allow critical RunBooks to be marked as protected and with a password requirement.

Reason : Critical runbooks need to be protected as much as possible from accidental deleted or editing. Mitigate possibility of human error.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Role Based Access Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Would role based access control solve this problem for you?

Also, are you interested in protecting runbooks from being started or just edited and deleted?

Thanks,
    Beth

18. Enable Publish-AzureWebsiteProject command in Runbooks

Please add this feature "Publish-AzureWebsiteProject" in future so that we can publish content to website from Runbooks using the package which is in azure storage container or by downloading package from storage container to Worker process locally temporary folder and then execute the command .Currently getting error while performing the option

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. startup

why not to add "startup" function instad of only "shutdown" in VM manager?

I can use automation, but almost run error. it's too hard to use. I hope new feature of "auto start up" VM for the next times.

Thank you!

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are looking at simplifying the automation scripts used for starting and shutting down VMs in your subscription so hopefully that will make it easier to use. We will update with the status here once we have a solution in place.
    Thanks for the feedback.

20. Execute Native PowerShell Runbooks deployed to Azure Automation within a Workflow's InlineScript Activity

I created a StackOverflow question for this because I'm not sure if it's unsupported or if I'm doing it wrong (http://j.mp/23IaN2K).

But, assuming this is not supported, it would be a nice inclusion.

In my case, I have a native PS runbook which can't (easily, for now) be converted to workflow, but is required by other runbooks which have already been converted.

My workaround for now is to copy the contents of the dependent .ps1 as a function inside the (first) InlineScript activity in each workflow, which is obviously not ideal.

There error received is:

.\child.ps1 : The…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Currently it is unsupported to call a PS script from a PS Workflow and vice-versa in Automation. What you can do right now is use Start-AzureRmAutomationRunbook to start runbooks of different type. This will asynchronously start a runbook.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base