Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable Implicit Remoting

I don't seem to be able to use implicit remoting to manage things like Exchange Online or the Office 365 Compliance Center, which leverages Exchange as well.

This is a hurdle for me as I can't migrate some of our important jobs to Azure Automation. Is it possible to enable implicit remoting in the PowerShell environment?

Thanks!

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    14 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for this feedback. We will take a look.

Also, do you have an example of a command that you are trying to use right now? I’ve heard of other customers managing Exchange & O365 with Automation, so there might be a different way to perform the task you are trying to do.

2. Edit the name of assets and runbooks

To be able to edit name/description or asset/runbook

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can currently edit the description on runbooks and assets. To do this for runbooks, go to the Configuration page.

On the names, would the ability to add a friendly name (that you can edit at any time) be sufficient or are you hoping to change the workflow name as well?

3. Git (Stash) Source Control Support or TFS On-Prem

Would be good if we could connect to our Stash server rather than having to use GitHub. Alternatively we have an on-prem TFS setup that we could also use. Data sovereignty issues prevent the use of GitHub/VSO at this time.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on this! We are definitively interested in private/on-prem scenarios for source control.
    As we start to do more development in this area, our team will follow up to get more details about your specific needs.

4. Open up for HelpMessage and Validation to be supported in Automation runbooks input parameters.

Ability to describe and validate required parameters in more detail, in the Test Pane. Instead of starting a runbook that will fail due to wrong inputs, users will have to correct these wrong typings before initiation of the runbook.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Interactive Console

It would be great if the test pane offered a true interactive REPL. This would allow better testing and debugging of code before publishing. Right now there always seems to be a bit of guesswork involved in getting a script runbook working correctly and being able to debug the script would be really beneficial. I am a big fan of the ISE add-on for Azure Automation, but this doesn't really offer true debugging features.

I know this is a tall order and may not be possible, but it's definitely on my wish list!

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this suggestion! You are right that this is a larger work item, but something that could really help with debugging. Having your & the community vote for it helps our team prioritize the work though, so even if its a tall order its great for us to get the feedback.

6. Show the line number when an exception is raised

I tend to use ErrorActionPreference = 'STOP' in my Runbooks (and my Powershell scripts) because if I haven't handled an exception, I want to know. While in Powershell this gives me a useful trace to go back and figure out what went wrong, in Azure Automation I am presented with only the exception name, ie "An error occurred while sending the request.". This makes it really hard to find out what happened.

As a work around, I can put a whole bunch of Write-Verbose statements in my Runbook, but this is tedious. It would be great if Azure Automation could…

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you provide more detail on what you mean by useful? Do you want to know where in the code the error occurred? Can you provide an example of what you find useful for debugging PS in the ISE?

You may want to try using ErrorRecord.InvocationInfo for non-terminating errors since on non-terminating errors, we currently save this data in the Error stream.

On terminating errors (exceptions), this data is currently lost. But we can investigate storing this information to present it for debugging. I would like to make sure that this is the info that you are looking for though, so please confirm.

As a workaround for now, you could write a global try/catch block in the runbook (which will also catch exceptions thrown because of $ErrorActionPreference = ‘Stop’) and write $_.ErrorRecord.InvocationInfo to a stream.

7. Surface runbook errors in the Automation account overview page like runbook exceptions are surfaced

Currently if my runbook is having issues and I look at the overview page, I can only see exceptions of the runbook. The runbook may hit errors during execution, which do not show up on this page.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Pause a published runbook to prevent it accepting new jobs

Today once you publish a runbook there is no way to put it in maintenance mode and prevent new jobs from being accepted. You only choices seem to be to delete the runbook so it is not shown as published (which loses all job history), or comment out the runbook code and publish that version so it basically does nothing. Would like to see a new menu option to Pause or Disable/Enable a published runbook.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Provide Ansible configuration

I would like to use to Linux configuration by Ansible.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow Custom Module sync / link from AzureDevOps Artifacts (or other external repository)

We have multiple custom powershell modules. All are in CI/CD in Azure Devops.
    I now have created a workaround to keep modules in Azure Automation up-to-date.
    Publishing our modules to the PowerShell Gallery is not an option.

Please provide a way to link PowerShell modules to Azure DevOps Artifacts using a service connection / webhook / whatever, or to any other private repository for that matter.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. More robust viewing and management of Hybrid Runbook Workers

Hybrid runbook workers should have management offered through the Azure Portal and via PowerShell cmdlets.

User story 1: As a user I should be able to see which hybrid runbook worker a particular job ran on, not just the hybrid worker group (which I should see as well). The Azure Portal UI should show me the specific hybrid worker and I should also see the specific hybrid worker as output when executing Get-AzureRmAutomationJob (again, in addition to the Hybrid Worker Group).

User story 2: As a user I should be able to configure individual hybrid workers to be available/unavailable to…

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Adding a "Create New" button in Graphical Runbook configuration when adding input parameters

when configuring input parameters for a cmdlet in the graphical runbook canvas, if there are no inputs configured, you'll get an "No item to display" message and you have to go back and add input parameters. However, you will lose unsaved changes if you go back. To make it more user friendly, would it be better if there's a "Create New" button next to the "No item to display" message so users can create input parameters without having to go back and lose unsaved changes.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Graphical authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for voting for this suggestion. We will look into adding functionality that makes adding input parameters from cmdlet configuration easier.

13. Allow Terraform in Azure Automation

It would be helpful if you allow terraform script to create a runbook in Azure Automation.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Github checkin for modules and configurationdata needed

right now, while I can connect to github, the only thing I'm able to check-in or out are runbooks. This needs to be extended to both modules, configurations, and configuration data in order to provide functional DSC support.

Tracking configurations is critical to a proper dev-ops model, and in the current PowerShell implementation of DSC, that means BOTH configuration scripts as well as composite configurations stored as modules.

To take it further, company specific modules need to have the same ease of check-in/out, especially with the removal of versioning from the zip.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow monitoring runbooks like orchestrator

Allow for "monitoring" runbooks like orchestrator does, without minutes charge or provide this only for hybrid workers. It makes no sense in running runbooks 24 hours waiting for a condition before the actual magic starts and being charged for the entire day.
    Having this option free of charge on hybrid workers would be a great improvement, since we pay for the computer onprem this makes sense.

Without this option it is a half solution where we need to run scripts or on prem solution to monitor for a condition and after this send out the webhook call which than again…

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Connection fields for modules are not updated

I have a module that has a connection. That connection has 3 fields in it. Import the module in SMA. I can see the connection imported by that module and I can create connections. I update my module and in the definition for the connection I add 2 more fields. I logon to the Azure Portal. Remove my old module and import the new one with the updated connection that has 5 fields in total. When I try to create a new connection of the type in my module I can see only the 3 fields that were in my…

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this suggestion. Yes, as you mentioned & Joe explained this is a known issue in SMA and Azure Automation, but there are workarounds now.
    We can use this request to track making connection types mutable.

18. Ability to Stop Test While Queued

When using the test panel for a runbook, would like to be able to stop the test when in the queuing stage. We have a runbook that was executed from the test panel that's been queued for over 90m and we have no way to stop it.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Remove the 400Mb limit or provide payed option with larger limit

Our runbooks crash because of the 400Mb RAM limit in Azure Automation. They do not crash when Running on a Hybrid Runbook Worker. The problem with the Hybrid Runbook worker is that it's not a Serverless model with pay per use. It would be good if we could:

1) Runbooks in Azure Automation that will not crash because of the 400 Mb limit
    2) We can somehow remove the default PS Modules in an Automation Account which we don't need to lower the memory consumption. At the moment these modules cannot be removed.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Runbook Libraries / Repositories

It would be nice to bundle up runbooks related to a certain integration into a library of child repository in Azure. Let me do some explaining on this. Currently I have 235 runbooks for automation which makes managing my environment a little difficult over time. It would be nice to bundle up runbooks related to a solution such as F5 integration. A library could contain the PowerShell module that we created for F5 integration, but the real power would be adding in runbooks that use that module. So I could have a collection of runbooks like Create-VIP, Update-VIP, Delete-VIP, Remove-From-Pool,…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this suggestion!

Do you want the collection of runbooks and modules visually grouped in a folder-like structure, or are you looking for the ability to export (either to source control or locally) as a solution and to share the collection in your team? Or are you looking for both?

Thanks,
    Beth

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base