Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to rerun a job with same parameters of the last job

The feature I propose is a 'Rerun Command’. I have a ‘crude’ mockup attached. Clicking on Rerun would bring up the Start Runbook blade; but with the parameter values prepopulated with the same values from the previous execution. I can now modify any value, if necessary, or just click OK, to start the job quickly.

I see myself rerunning my runbook with mostly the same values. When I have many input parameters, I have to be very careful not to mess up any values, and what I do now is open two browser windows. Open the previous job’s Input blade…

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support populating and displaying arrays for account-level Variables

While it's possible to set arrays with Set-AutomationVariable, they cannot be displayed or edited from UI.
    It makes them a bit inconvenient - if I have a job that I need to execute against a set of something, I need to have separate jobs to validate and change that set.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The way updating the certificate for Run As account should be more flexible

Currently, the self-signed certificate that you created for the Run As account expires one year from the date of creation and the certificate won’t be automatically updated. Although you can set your certificate to expire a very long time by using Azure PowerShell, some users wonder that it will be a security issue if such a long certificate leaks. Such users are required to update the certificate every year before it expired. It would be great if the operations to update a certificate could be flexible as follows so that the uses can omit the troublesome procedure, which is updating…

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

4. Display Parameter Help Messages in UI

When using [Cmdletbinding()] along with parameter property Helpmessage and [ValidatePattern()] it would be nice if these messages were fed back to the user interface. Right now the users have to guess what the parameter allows them to input through trial and error.

For example:

[code]

[Cmdletbinding()]
    param (

[Parameter(Mandatory=$true),HelpMessage='Enter 1 computername']
    [ValidateNotNullOrEmpty()]
    [string] $Computer
    )

In the console, when referencing a workflow with this parameter set you could enter !? to get the help message.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for the feedback! We will look at making these modifications to starting a runbook job.

5. Surface runbook errors in the Automation account overview page like runbook exceptions are surfaced

Currently if my runbook is having issues and I look at the overview page, I can only see exceptions of the runbook. The runbook may hit errors during execution, which do not show up on this page.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Edit the name of assets and runbooks

To be able to edit name/description or asset/runbook

[Beth Cooper]: Updating this request to only include updating the names of runbook/assets because you can currently edit the description

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can currently edit the description on runbooks and assets. To do this for runbooks, go to the Configuration page.

On the names, would the ability to add a friendly name (that you can edit at any time) be sufficient or are you hoping to change the workflow name as well?

7. Connection fields for modules are not updated

I have a module that has a connection. That connection has 3 fields in it. Import the module in SMA. I can see the connection imported by that module and I can create connections. I update my module and in the definition for the connection I add 2 more fields. I logon to the Azure Portal. Remove my old module and import the new one with the updated connection that has 5 fields in total. When I try to create a new connection of the type in my module I can see only the 3 fields that were in my…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion. Yes, as you mentioned & Joe explained this is a known issue in SMA and Azure Automation, but there are workarounds now.
    We can use this request to track making connection types mutable.

8. Test Pane should show what's actually happening

Currently the test pane only shows the output that specific commands write, but if a command isn't writing anything, there's no way to know where in the script the problem is occurring. Similarly with issues, if something is endlessly looping, there's no way to know what or if it's just very slow.
    The test pane should either be a proper step through of the script (highlighting the running command along with the output) or show it like the commands were typed into the PowerShell window itself.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for posting this suggestion!

There are a couple of existing features that may get you most of what you are looking for.

1. While we do not have a debug mode where you can step through your runbook and see output, we do have an Add-On for the ISE and you can debug your runbooks in the ISE. http://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/AzureAutomationAuthoringToolkit/0.2.3.1

2. If you are using graphical runbooks, there are settings that you can turn on to show exactly what is happening and what command ran with it by turning on additional logging. Select your graphical runbook > Settings > Logging and Tracing > turn on Verbose and change Trace Level to detailed to get the level of detail you are looking for.

3. For scripts, you can set your verbose preference to continue (instead of silentlycontinue) in your runbook to debug and write to the verbose stream. $VerbosePreference =…

9. Add "warning" status in the Job list and Job statistic

Currently just "Completed" and "Failed" state is shown in job list.
    If the script throws warnings, this is just visible if I go directly the job / Job overview.

E.g. in my script that assign SPE E3 licenses I throw warning messages if we are running low on licenses .. but if it's not in the dashboard the Administrator don't cares ..

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Assign DCS Multiple Node Configurations to a DCS Node

Would be nice to be able to assign multiple DCS node configurations to a DCS node, i.e. the same way we can have multiple GPO assigned to an OU.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Provide notification when global modules are changed in the automation account

Today global modules can be added and updated without any prior notification by the Azure Automation team. In certain scenarios these changes cause issues with existing code used in the account. A simple banner in the automation account indicating which modules were updated would facilitate troubleshooting efforts.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow to enter an AAD user account when manually start a runbook, or allow to use the credentials of the signed-in user (AAD token)

Allow to enter an AAD user account when manually start a runbook (instead of store it as Asset), or allow to use the credentials of the signed-in user (reuse the AAD issued access token)

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! We will look into making authentication to Azure easier and will take this suggestion into consideration.

13. ctrl+s to save

When editing a workbook, ctrl s should save the workbook, instead of having to press the save button

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Sort and search assets

Provide the ability to search and sort for all of the different asset types

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We just added search for runbooks, and assets are in our backlog, but not planned yet. This vote helps us prioritize so thank you for posting!

15. Please add the StartedBy value to the job details page in the Azure Portal

For auditing purposes, it would be helpful to be able to view who started a job in the Azure Portal. It would be nice to show the StartedBy property in the Essentials section on the job details screen. Currently we need to use the Get-AzureRmAutomationJob PowerShell cmdlet to view the StartedBy property by providing the JobId.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add a refresh button to Jobs lists.

Neither the "main" job list or the specific job lists on each runbook has a refresh button.
    Many other pages does.

I would like to see a refresh button on the job list (since it is the page I refresh the most)

Is the design relying on the auto refresh instead? .. it does not seem to update very fast.

thanks

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  Beth Cooper responded

We just added a refresh button to the runbook/jobs list (navigate to your runbook, select jobs, view refresh button at top).

We also have a separate item to track adding the refresh button to the list of all the jobs in the Automation account, but have not yet begun work on adding it.

18. UI Improvements

The current portal implementation of jobs and outputs is suboptimal. When there are many jobs, clicking on the "jobs" "box" auto-scrolls down to the oldest one - imho that's wrong, theres a bigger chance that I'm interested in the newest one than the oldest one. Also, there's no refresh button, so the only way to see if any new jobs have been fired is to close the blade and click "jobs" again (causing me to have to scroll up repeatedly when waiting for a job to kick off.

Further, the "all streams" should have the same auto-scroll feature as the…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  Beth Cooper responded

We have currently fixed:
    1. Modify jobs list so that it does not scroll to the bottom of the page
    2. Added a refresh button to the streams blade (note this doesn’t help if you have more than 50 streams so we are still looking at other ways to improve viewing active streams)

I’m leaving this open to track further improvements to the job and streams blades.

19. It would be nice to remove the old entries for Update Deployments in update management solution for presentation purposes

It would be nice to remove the old entries for Update Deployments in update management solution for presentation purposes.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Runbook-Editor: Add #region-#endregion

Runbook-Editor: Please add #region-#endregion support to the runbook-editor. This would improve working with large runbooks a lot.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base