Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow description/instructions of parameters to be seen by person starting a runbook

I have a PowerShell runbook that requires input for several parameters. I'd like to customize the text here when someone starts the runbook. For example, to let the automation operator know that this input is required to be less than 10 characters, or must have numbers, etc. This looks similar to these:
    1) https://feedback.azure.com/forums/246290-automation/suggestions/6560476-display-parameter-help-messages-in-ui
    2) https://feedback.azure.com/forums/246290-automation/suggestions/10921377-open-up-for-helpmessage-and-validation-to-be-suppo

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support other mainstream, cross-platform scripting language like Python and Ruby

Other cross-platform languages like Python and Ruby have served as automation and orchestration scripting languages of choice for much longer than PowerShell. A large community of users already know and use Python on Windows, Linux, and Mac systems. Its okay to invent something new with Powershell, although it would be even better to embrace and support existing languages like Python for IT Automation.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make securestring a supported input type for runbooks

As of right now you can´t secure the runbook input. Using a string works fine but it leaves the password for example in the input as plain text. If we could write the password as a secure string instead, that would be great and solutions to reset passwords etc. would be safe to implement in production.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to resize left pane of Edit blade

The left pane of the Edit blade with the CMDLETS/RUNBOOKS/ASSETS dropdowns wastes a lot of horizontal real estate when all the dropdowns are collapsed. It would be nice if this was resizable and/or collapsible.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. parameterset

support parametersets in powershell scripts.
    I have several usecases, as with functions where I could benefit from parameterset support.
    Currently Parent - child scripts can be used as a workaround, but include overhead for common features\elements

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Co-authoring runbooks

A way to co-author a runbook (simultaniously work on the runbook)

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Inlinescript within Function Within Workflow?

Why does the following script:

workflow rbk-test {
    function vm-test {
    $output = InlineScript {
    write-output "$($(get-azurermvm -ea SilentlyContinue -wa SilentlyContinue -status -name 'somename' -resourcegroup 'somegroup').statuses[1].code.split("/")[-1])"
    }
    write-output "status:$output
    }
    vm-test
    }

give me this error?
    Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility\Write-Error : The term 'InlineScript' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

But if I take the inline out of the function, it works fine.

workflow rbk-test {
    $output = InlineScript {
    write-output "$($(get-azurermvm -ea…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Please add support other external source repositories like Bitbucket.

We use an internal Bitbucket repo and cannot use Github due to GSO guidelines. This makes updating changes to runbooks a manual process. Either that or develop within the portal which is time consuming and tedious compared to using the Powershell ISE.

Please add Bitbucket support.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add link to manage Assets from Runbook context

Assets can only be managed through the "Assets" link from the Azure Automation Account context. Since Assets are an important piece of building and managing Runbooks, please add a link to Assets directly from the Runbook context in the Azure Portal.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for the suggestion. Are you looking for the ability to edit and delete assets while authoring a runbook? You can currently use the “Manage” command at the bottom of the authoring view to create assets.

10. no way to give the Suscription variable to ASSET in runbooks in RM

please describe how to give the suscription to the asset. It is very confusing in RM

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. When running date related cmdlets such as Get-Date, it's returning Universal time.

I'm attempting to write a cmdlet that checks the present time but it uses UTC rather than my local time. I can utilize the SCHEDULER with my local time but I'm not able to run a Set-Timezone within my cmdlet.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. BUG BUG!!! Bug in Powershell Workflow

Hi,

I have been working in creating multiple VMs parallel using Azure Automation and it seems there is a major bug in Azure Automation Powershell Workflow.

Microsoft Support failed to resolve my query despite I'm having Microsoft Premier support.

PS Workflow script failed to add Multiple NIC, get an error at fetching the value from VNET and associating NIC with my Subnet.

For Reference attaching Microsoft Support Case ID: REG:117041015576485

Kindly helop

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base