Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Continuous Deployment of runbooks

I have runbooks that are stored in source control which then get deployed to Azure Automation. The process of deploying them is rather cumbersome (basically a bunch of hand crafted Powershell scripts that call the Azure Automation cmdlets). It seems to me that there are going to be lots of people crafting the same kind of scripts - that's a lot of wheel-reinvention going on.
    I'd like to see some features introduced that support quick and easy Continuous Deployment of runbooks (i.e. I check them into source control and they automatically get deployed to Azure Automation).

Some ideas:
    -Support Continuous…

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. multiple powershell module versions in automation module

We can't have multiple version of a powershell module in automation.

We develop some DSC resources and we using in different configuration of project but sometime we havnt the same version in each configuration. Like old configuration for project1 with xPSDesiredStateConfiguration with 4.0.0.0 and new configuration for project2 with xPSDesiredStateConfiguration version 6.2.0.0 .
    So each time we want to compile we need to upload the old or new version. It's not working like a nugget server keeping old version.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Start-AzAutomationSourceControlSyncJob Add SyncType parameter to invoke 'Incremental' syncs

The Start-AzAutomationSourceControlSyncJob function only triggers a FullSync from a connected Azure DevOps Repo, which can sometimes take a long time if you have lots of runbooks in a repo. Can we add a pramater to this to trigger an optional incremental sync?

Use Case
    The Azure Automation account has this option as a feature toggle but not something that can be triggered ad-hoc after a full sync outside of Azure Automation. We don't want to use the AutoSync feature as we want to control the upload of runbooks via Azure DevOps pipelines with approvals etc. then trigger a sync job…

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

4. Git (Stash) Source Control Support or TFS On-Prem

Would be good if we could connect to our Stash server rather than having to use GitHub. Alternatively we have an on-prem TFS setup that we could also use. Data sovereignty issues prevent the use of GitHub/VSO at this time.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for your feedback on this! We are definitively interested in private/on-prem scenarios for source control.
    As we start to do more development in this area, our team will follow up to get more details about your specific needs.

5. authenticate source control fails

We use VSTS + Git for change control. When asked to authenticate there is a failure with 0 additional information. Our source control is part of the same AD tenant.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Setup DevOps SourceControl sync as a AzureADApp service principle

I would like to list two issues and possibly can be addressed by one implementation.

1. Would like to setup sync between Azure Automation Account and DevOps as an Azure AD APP service principle and/or managed identity of automation account, rather than a person or on-prem service account.

2. Would like to access files from DevOps Repository (e.g latest ARM templates) as a REST call using managed identity/service principle.

Above is very important as people leave organisations and can leave broken process behind and the worst is, the organisations would not know until something drastic happens.

Please see the issues below in…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Sync in both directions

I find that a possibility to sync to repos would be useful as that would enable creation of already existing runbook files in the repo, also the graphical runbooks (if any) could be exported that way.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. export /import run book into VSTS

While working on Azure run books we would like to export the the scripts into VSTS and put them under version control. Therefore we have one single source for all code. This is usefully we can keep in sync version of scripts with the current version of code including environment requirements

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Github checkin for modules and configurationdata needed

right now, while I can connect to github, the only thing I'm able to check-in or out are runbooks. This needs to be extended to both modules, configurations, and configuration data in order to provide functional DSC support.

Tracking configurations is critical to a proper dev-ops model, and in the current PowerShell implementation of DSC, that means BOTH configuration scripts as well as composite configurations stored as modules.

To take it further, company specific modules need to have the same ease of check-in/out, especially with the removal of versioning from the zip.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Source Control integration - preserve logging settings

I've noticed that every time Azure Automation syncs up a new version of the runbook (PowerShell script pulled from an Azure DevOps repo) it resets the Logging\Tracing configuration. Is it possible to preserve these settings during sync?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

11. Search does not seem to work for VSTS repository.

We have a large number of projects, some of which have 100s of repositories. The list that shows up is random, probably selecting some max # of repos as returned by the API. But when I type search, I do not find my repository. It always returns the same list, never the thing I was searching for. I am in the Administrator group for the project I am looking for.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Azure DevOps Collection Selector

As we have multiple different Azure DevOps Collections, I would like to see an additional drop to select which collection I want to connect to. I am unsure how it is picking the collection right now, but it is not the connection I need and I don't see a way to change it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Multiple directories - only repositories from first one are visible

Having same user in multiple directories (in my case, it is my private repository and another one for startup) - I see repositories only from first directory (private) and cannot select others.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. certificate

Windows does not let you export a private key certificate without a password, but there does not seem to be any way to specify a password when using ARM. I'm not sure why the ARM resource requires a base64 string--it would make much more sense to just reference a certificate in an existing Key Vault, like the Compute team does.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

15. true Github intergation

Automation has source control and thats great. But it has to be under your username. All the scripts I work on are under the company's page. It should be able to post there.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow Advanced source Control Sync to Github and VSTS

provide an option to allow users to unhide the runbooks that sync AA and Github to allow users to modify the process, with their custom process.

Use case would be adding an email notification or integrating with a ticketing system so their is a record of who preformed the sync and when in other system than the Azure Audit log.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for posting this! You can actually overwrite these scripts with your own content today just by importing a runbook with the same name as the script (just like global modules, these are global runbooks). So for example, you can name a script Sync-MicrosoftAzureAutomationAccountFromGithubV1 and your script will run when you click the “Sync” button.

In order for us to make these scripts public, we need to remove some proprietary code so this isn’t just as simple as releasing them. I’ll discuss with the team to see what we can do though.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base