Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a refresh button to Jobs lists.

Neither the "main" job list or the specific job lists on each runbook has a refresh button.
    Many other pages does.

I would like to see a refresh button on the job list (since it is the page I refresh the most)

Is the design relying on the auto refresh instead? .. it does not seem to update very fast.

thanks

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Beth Cooper responded

We just added a refresh button to the runbook/jobs list (navigate to your runbook, select jobs, view refresh button at top).

We also have a separate item to track adding the refresh button to the list of all the jobs in the Automation account, but have not yet begun work on adding it.

2. Support other mainstream, cross-platform scripting language like Python and Ruby

Other cross-platform languages like Python and Ruby have served as automation and orchestration scripting languages of choice for much longer than PowerShell. A large community of users already know and use Python on Windows, Linux, and Mac systems. Its okay to invent something new with Powershell, although it would be even better to embrace and support existing languages like Python for IT Automation.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. ParentJobId not showing in Hybrid Worker scenario

Recently the Azure Automation team released the functionality to be able to get the job Id of the current running Automation job. (https://feedback.azure.com/forums/246290-azure-automation/suggestions/10300698-power-shell-runbook-add-support-to-get-own-job-i)
    This works fine by using the command: $PsPrivateMetaData.JobId.Guid in a normal PowerShell runbook although if you use a hybrid worker scenario the earlier mentioned command gives no output.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: our team is currently working on getting this fixed.

4. hybrid worker should use configured proxy

Currently the hybrid worker doesn't use proxy settings from MMA, this forces the hybrid worker to be NATted, and slows deployments in certain security sensitive environments. For some calls it doesn't use the specified credentials for others doesn't use the proxy at all (for example all the communications to port 30004)

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Proxy support is now available for PowerShell script runbooks. PowerShell Workflow Runbooks will be targeted next.

5. UI Improvements

The current portal implementation of jobs and outputs is suboptimal. When there are many jobs, clicking on the "jobs" "box" auto-scrolls down to the oldest one - imho that's wrong, theres a bigger chance that I'm interested in the newest one than the oldest one. Also, there's no refresh button, so the only way to see if any new jobs have been fired is to close the blade and click "jobs" again (causing me to have to scroll up repeatedly when waiting for a job to kick off.

Further, the "all streams" should have the same auto-scroll feature as the…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have currently fixed:
    1. Modify jobs list so that it does not scroll to the bottom of the page
    2. Added a refresh button to the streams blade (note this doesn’t help if you have more than 50 streams so we are still looking at other ways to improve viewing active streams)

I’m leaving this open to track further improvements to the job and streams blades.

6. Graphical Runbook: Input that had a default but afterwards is set to mandatory still have default value in tester

Steps

1. Create input at set a default value
    2. Set the input to be mandatory, which hides the default value textbox.
    3. test the runbook in the tester, and the default value will still be inserted in to the input textbox

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base