Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create general way to detect/use Environment within Azure Automation Runbooks

I think Azure Automation urgently needs a way to determine the environment (AzureCloud, AzureChinaCloud, Gov, Stack).
    Currently you need to work around with either custom AutomationVariables or by changing the source code of the runbooks depending on your environment.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Run PowerShell Runbook 'as administrator' on Hybrid Worker

This is a repost of https://feedback.azure.com/forums/246290-automation/suggestions/39895024-run-powershell-runbook-as-administrator-on-hybri as the original was hidden from some reason and is now stuck in 'Your idea is being processed and will appear shortly' limbo. I have attached a screen shot of the original post with its current up vote and comment situation.

I have a PowerShell script I need to execute on-premises which requires the script to run 'as administrator'. This works fine if I run it with Windows Task Scheduler and the option 'Run with highest privileges'. In my attempt to migrate across to Azure Automation I have an encountered a stumbling block in…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable scheduling for AKS cluster shutdown.

Customers has confirmed a need to have an option to schedule AKS clusters resources to be shutdown and started.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Get-AzAutomationAccount should include the resource Id in the results

Get-AzAutomationAccount doesn't currently return the resource id as of version 1.4.0. It should! :-) Should be an easy update.

Currently it returns these properties:
    SubscriptionId
    ResourceGroupName
    AutomationAccountName
    Plan
    CreationTime
    LastModifiedTime
    LastModifiedBy
    Tags

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I would like to see a circle graph demonstrating the degree of compliance.

Just like the Automation resource page, a circle graph that demonstrates degree of compliance.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This is something we’ve been planning to add to the service. Monitoring\compliance for Automation. Please share if you have any specifc area you’d want to have captured that will impact your overall Automation Compliance.

6. Allow Custom Module sync / link from AzureDevOps Artifacts (or other external repository)

We have multiple custom powershell modules. All are in CI/CD in Azure Devops.
    I now have created a workaround to keep modules in Azure Automation up-to-date.
    Publishing our modules to the PowerShell Gallery is not an option.

Please provide a way to link PowerShell modules to Azure DevOps Artifacts using a service connection / webhook / whatever, or to any other private repository for that matter.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Alert for internal job error of Runbook

Currently there is no alerting mechanism to alert when jobs in automation accounts get Completed with errors. The job shows completed, which means the runbook script has executed ok, but when we go inside the job we can see errors. There should be some alerting configured to know that the Automation job has completed with errors.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Create a VS Code extension for authoring

As a newbie to AzAutomation, I'm shocked there isn't a Microsoft provided VS Code extension.

It would be great if the automation team developed one that allowed import/export of runbooks and over time run and debug.

Just avoid the complexity of the Azure Functions extension, which personally I find nearly unusable.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow Terraform in Azure Automation

It would be helpful if you allow terraform script to create a runbook in Azure Automation.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to rename automation runbooks and schedules

Ability to rename automation runbooks and schedules. Typos and naming standards changes happen, please help your customers out with this little change. Thanks.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. webhook expiry

Add a banner to the Azure portal - informing customers of impending webhook expiry - in a similar way to the banner for expiring runas accounts

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Organize runbooks with a folder like structure in the runbooks view

Add the ability to organize runbooks into folder / categories in the Runbooks view under automation accounts.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Increase 1MB Size Limit for DSC Node Configurations (MOF files)

Azure DSC node configuration (MOF files) are currently limited to 1 MB in size. This limitation does not allow for significantly detailed or complex configurations.

In my specific scenario, we have several IIS websites in a our web farm and we've hit the limit of how many unique websites we can configure per server because the MOF file is larger than 1 MB. The resulting error is that the MOF cannot be encrypted by Azure DSC Automation.

100 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Provide Ansible configuration

I would like to use to Linux configuration by Ansible.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Apply DSC sequentially in Availability Groups and Zones

Say you have a configuration that applies to two servers behind a load balancer and it includes the installation of some software.
    You now want to upgrade that software so you update the product ID and link to MSI.
    Once the servers pick up the change and attempt to apply it, they could both do it simultaneously causing a system outage.

Having DSC respect Availability Groups and Zones would prevent this happening and allow the use of DSC for automatic upgrades.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Create a native SCSM Azure Automation connector

System Center Service Manager (SCSM) only has connectors to SMA and Orchestrator. To be able to shift to Azure Automation for all our automations there have to be an Azure Automation SCSM connector. Please add this soon!

63 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add possibility to end a test job when it hangs.

Sometimes when running code in a PS runbook something seems to hang. I'm getting the following error although the job probably finished long time ago:
    "BadRequest: Test job is already running."
    I would like to have the opportunity to clear any running test jobs to bypass this bug.

108 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Hybrid Worker Maintenance

It would be very helpful to have the ability to "pause" a hybrid worker so that it can complete any running jobs without accepting new jobs. This would allow the worker to become passive for maintenance/patching.

We could then automate the rolling maintenance between hybrid workers to ensure availability and zero runbook downtime.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Pause a published runbook to prevent it accepting new jobs

Today once you publish a runbook there is no way to put it in maintenance mode and prevent new jobs from being accepted. You only choices seem to be to delete the runbook so it is not shown as published (which loses all job history), or comment out the runbook code and publish that version so it basically does nothing. Would like to see a new menu option to Pause or Disable/Enable a published runbook.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base