Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Issues scrolling with mouse wheel in runbook editor

I'm currently having issues using the mouse wheel to scroll, in firefox, while editing a PowerShell-based runbook. I've not tried it with any other runbook types, but I presume the issue would persist.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please make the label for each activity display more characters and lines

In runbook designer, the label for each activity is too small in length, only allows 11-15 characters, could you please make it allow more characters showing. This will help to know what each activity does at a glance in runbook designer.

Currently the words wrapped and cut off. it is hard to read especially when calling child runbook, we want to know what child runbook name is , but it wrapped and cut off, we will have to click it to display the whole label.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

3. The way updating the certificate for Run As account should be more flexible

Currently, the self-signed certificate that you created for the Run As account expires one year from the date of creation and the certificate won’t be automatically updated. Although you can set your certificate to expire a very long time by using Azure PowerShell, some users wonder that it will be a security issue if such a long certificate leaks. Such users are required to update the certificate every year before it expired. It would be great if the operations to update a certificate could be flexible as follows so that the uses can omit the troublesome procedure, which is updating…

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

4. Fix New-AzureRmResourceGroupDeployment module to read the parameter 'name' from json correctly

In my case i must to change the name of parameter 'name' from template.json and parameters.json.
    I downloaded a Service Plan Automatetion Script and changed the parameter name from 'name' to 'servicePlanName' to make it works, else PowerShell prompt this...
    nameFromTemplate:

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Enable Ctrl + s in powershell editor

It's nice to have the powershell editor and see how it supports useful capabilities like code comments through keyboard shortcuts. (Ctrl + k c), however, it would be even better if it supports Ctrl + s to save the script (currently it opens a window to save the whole webpage...), that would make the editor even more intuitive.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. assign a schedule to runbook via ARM templates

I'm in the middle of automation and deploying runbooks/schedules via ARM templates but couldn't find the option to link schedule to runbook.
    i tried with "type": "Microsoft.Automation/automationAccounts/jobSchedules", but didn't work

could you please check and provide some suggestions?
    thanks
    ak

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Sorting Filtering Runbook list

It would be great if there was a way to sort/filter runbooks in the Azure Automation Runbook definition table. I envision being able to sort and filter each column, as well as a table-wide search function.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. It would be nice to remove the old entries for Update Deployments in update management solution for presentation purposes

It would be nice to remove the old entries for Update Deployments in update management solution for presentation purposes.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. change tracking "Manage Machines" is grayed out after onboarding

change tracking "Manage Machines" is grayed out after onboarding.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Provide notification when global modules are changed in the automation account

Today global modules can be added and updated without any prior notification by the Azure Automation team. In certain scenarios these changes cause issues with existing code used in the account. A simple banner in the automation account indicating which modules were updated would facilitate troubleshooting efforts.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow adding a message to a change

When making an edit to a runbook, it would be useful to be able to add a message to that change, e.g. "Fixed bug on line 22"

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Increase Custom field limits for Log type AzureDiagnostics

Currently there is a 500 custom field limit to Log types. Turning on diagnostics for Data factory V2 quickly fills this limit to the maximum on AzureDiagnostics which is used by multiple services / providers.

Can we have the limit raised, or suffix the log type with the service / provider or resource name to help overcome this. If the limit is reached, critical diagnostic events can be lost.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Log Device Collection Membership in Update Management solution to Log Analytics

After integrating SCCM to Azure Automation, I can now target Device Collections for update deployments.

When looking at the data in Log Analytics - it would be great to be able to filter by Device Collection so that I can see status on a particular device collection after a deployment.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Write-Output Only Works if Last Activity in Pipeline

I noticed that a Write-Output activity only actually produces output if it is either the last activity in the entire runbook, or if it is the last activity for a pipeline. In this context, by 'pipeline' I mean a 'leaf' on the runbook 'tree'.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Setup alerts on Azure automation free minutes

I wants to have notification alerts as my automation free minutes consumed, it would help us to ensure the VMs availability those are start/stop by azure automation run-books.

Thanks

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Please add the StartedBy value to the job details page in the Azure Portal

For auditing purposes, it would be helpful to be able to view who started a job in the Azure Portal. It would be nice to show the StartedBy property in the Essentials section on the job details screen. Currently we need to use the Get-AzureRmAutomationJob PowerShell cmdlet to view the StartedBy property by providing the JobId.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Resource Group filtering

Hello,

I noticed that there is no "Runbook type" in the Resource group filtering.

Please find screenshot attached
    Cheers!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Azure portal blades are impossible to navigate. Please add sizing controls to better navigate.

The blades on the portal are very poor in performance and navigation controls. Please improve the blade navigation by adding sizing controls. The technologies and solutions are great, but the portal experience leaves the users abandoning the idea.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base