Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Schedule for Day of the week

Customer wants to configure schedule about Day of the week.
    For example, customer wants to set execution at Second Tuesday.

Cx will apply Windows Update at Second Wednesday, so before update, they want to execute Runbook.
    Is there a plan for this configuration?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

2. Schedule update deployement Recurring

Schedule update deployment schedule setting should have option to stop/suspend for recurring deployments. This is required for scenarios like suspending the deployment for specific month and continue it for other months.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Yearly schedule interval in Azure Automation

I would like to see a yearly option when going to schedule run books in an Azure automation account.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. link schedule to runbook via ARM templates

how i can link a schedule to runbook via ARM templates?
    Please assist.

Thanks
    ak

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Fix the Runbook Schedule Unlink User Experience

Linking a runbook schedule is a relatively poor experience. Trying to UNLINK a schedule requires a support ticket to learn how to do it. You MIGHT think that using the "Schedule" menu at the top of a runbook would allow you to link and unlink schedules to the runbook. No.. you can only link. To UNLINK, you have to use the "Schedules" menu at the left and then (get this for obscurity) click the existing schedule, then click "...more" and then the "Unlink" option appears.

Why on earth can't I manage the linking AND unlinking from the same place? Please…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow Dashes in Resource groups or vm names in Graphical Run Books

Why is this not consistent? Don't allowed when creating RGs or VMs. Now graphical run books useless to me.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Azure Multi-Step Web Test

I have recorded the a Application URL transaction in Visual Studio from logging into a website to logging out of it and after recording, when i click on View Code, i am able to see the Username and Password which i used to login in the recording which i feel is not secure, is there any way to encrypt the username and password which when it is added in Azure under Availability to monitor no one should be able to see these details if at all the ".webtest" extension is downloaded and loaded in Visual Studio.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Disable schedule on individual runbooks without unlinking

It would be helpful if we could disable a schedule on a particular runbook without having to completely unlink the schedule or affect the schedule to all linked runbooks.

Having to unlink the schedule loses the ability to know when it was scheduled without noting it somewhere else if/when it needs enabled again.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Possibility to use the same schedule multiple times with the same runbook with different parameters

And it should be possible to tweak the name of the individual scheduled instances to reflect the parameters used.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Possibility to name scheduled instances of a Runbook

It should be possible to name the scheduled instance of a runbook to, for example, reflect the parameters used for that particular schedule

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. IN VM shedule add both start and shutdown with a recurring week shedule (avoiding more complex runbook use)

The shutdown shedule is easy. Adding startup needs use of runbooks. Why not adding startup and shutdown with a recurring weekly shedule to allow easy cost saving by aligning the server use with the opening hours.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Decouple the Date and Time for automation schedules

When creating an Automation schedule with the ARM template, startTime take a full date and time as a value. But in time, this value varies. For a runbook that run once each days, only the hour is constant. To keep my template up to date, I need to pass parameter for today and merge whith the hour of execution.

A better approach is like the Scheduler Jobs with his Recurrence parameter. It cover most needs and are more easy to use.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/templates/microsoft.scheduler/jobcollections/jobs#JobRecurrence

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. startup

why not to add "startup" function instad of only "shutdown" in VM manager?

I can use automation, but almost run error. it's too hard to use. I hope new feature of "auto start up" VM for the next times.

Thank you!

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are looking at simplifying the automation scripts used for starting and shutting down VMs in your subscription so hopefully that will make it easier to use. We will update with the status here once we have a solution in place.
    Thanks for the feedback.

14. Schedule exclusions

It would be nice to be able to exclude specific dates from schedules. For instance one might want to schedule a runbook every Friday of the month except on Friday 13th or if the Monday of the month is the 1st of that month. (like we could do in Orchestrator)

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow monitoring runbooks like orchestrator

Allow for "monitoring" runbooks like orchestrator does, without minutes charge or provide this only for hybrid workers. It makes no sense in running runbooks 24 hours waiting for a condition before the actual magic starts and being charged for the entire day.
    Having this option free of charge on hybrid workers would be a great improvement, since we pay for the computer onprem this makes sense.

Without this option it is a half solution where we need to run scripts or on prem solution to monitor for a condition and after this send out the webhook call which than again…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Visualise schedules in a calendar view

Display historic runbook executions like a calendar appointment to visualise runbook executions that might occur at the same time. Future executions could be displayed using historic average runtime or default values to illustrate possible future scheduling conflicts.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Option to remove onetime schedule when completed

I have a runbook that schedules itself to run again one hour after it completes. It does this by creating a onetime schedule. The reason for doing this rather than using a regular (i.e. not a onetime) schedule is to prevent the runbook from starting while the previous job is still running (I discussed this approach with Joe Levy here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/06f1b011-1fe2-4a3a-a0a3-88256f83a3ea/can-i-prevent-multiple-instances-of-the-same-runbook-from-running-concurrently?forum=azureautomation)

Unfortunately this means that my Assets screen becomes littered with expired onetime schedules (22 or 23 every day) and there's no simple way to go and clean them all up.

Hence this request is for an option on…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

That’s an interesting idea – thanks for the feedback. We can look into it.

In the meantime, you could probably work around this. I’m not exactly sure what your runbook looks like, but it might make sense to create the schedule with the same name each time, then when the runbook starts again to delete that schedule, then to create it again at the end.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base