Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Test Pane should pre-populate previous Start Values (like the ISE Add-On)

This feels like a bug in the Portal UI, if for no other reason than the API must support it, and the Azure Automation Add-On for PowerShell ISE supports it as well.

If I create a new runbook in the Portal, add a parameter, then start it with the Test Pane.. if I then switch over the Add-On, and for that same new runbook click the 'Test Draft In Azure' then 'Start New Job' button, the parameter values I entered in the UI are pulled into the text entry.

I created this as a new request because the existing request…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Adding a "Create New" button in Graphical Runbook configuration when adding input parameters

when configuring input parameters for a cmdlet in the graphical runbook canvas, if there are no inputs configured, you'll get an "No item to display" message and you have to go back and add input parameters. However, you will lose unsaved changes if you go back. To make it more user friendly, would it be better if there's a "Create New" button next to the "No item to display" message so users can create input parameters without having to go back and lose unsaved changes.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Graphical authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for voting for this suggestion. We will look into adding functionality that makes adding input parameters from cmdlet configuration easier.

3. multiple connection types per module

There is currently no way to include multiple connection types in a single module. Combined with the inability to include multiple modules in a single .zip, this is starting to create duplication/bloat in our solution.

I can separate the connection types from the modules altogether and manage any updates (delete + add) independently, but that's even more bifurcation.

Before going down that path, I'm curious if better management for connection types is planned to better suit these use cases?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this suggestion.

In terms of recent improvements in connection type management, we now have a way to remove a connection type using remove-azurermautomationconnectiontype cmdlet, and an API for removal: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/mt163852.aspx.

It sounds like you want to create multiple connection types which you can do using our API only right now: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/mt163818.aspx.

Can you explain a bit more about why creating and importing modules separately causes code bloat? I’m trying to understand what your module content looks like and how you manage this content to better understand why multiple modules and connections in 1 zip file are needed.

4. Show duration in job summary

In the portal runbook job summary it is difficult to tell how long a runbook needed to finish. Please provide a minutes:seconds duration for a quick glance understanding of execution performance.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this suggestion. Right now, you can see the start and end times but need to compute the duration yourself.

5. Support export of a draft version of a runbook

It would be nice to be able to not only export published version of a runbook, but to also export draft version right from the authoring workspace.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Provide runbooks in gallery for common lab setups, e.g. Exchange Server

It's common to use Azure to fire up some VMs to create a dev/test lab. Gallery samples could be provided for common setups, e.g. I want an Exchange Server created & configured so I can test software that connects to Exchange with windows authentication. Presumably there's a few common scenarios that people create in Azure and it'd be great to have a starting point in the Gallery showing how to do this with Automation.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this! We are investigating providing additional Automation samples. It really helps us to understand what some of the most common scenarios are when we build out samples.

Is creating and configuring an Exchange server for a dev/test environment the most important? Please post additional suggestions or add onto this if you feel there are any other samples that we should prioritize.

7. Ability to manually enter the webhook expiry date

Currently we can only specify the expiry date by picking a date from the calendar. It would be nice if we could manually enter the year/month/day of the expiry date without using the calendar.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Webhooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this suggestion. Is there a reason that you don’t like the date picker?

8. 0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Start/Stop Cloud Services Web/Worker Role using Azure Automation and RunBook

We have many Cloud Service Worker roles running on Dev environment. Dev team does not need them at night and on weekends. It will be awesome to have a RunBook which i could schedule to run at day end to to Stop these Worker Roles. can have another RunBook scheduled early morning to spin them back up.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Right now, you can stop an entire service using Stop-AzureService and start it using Start-AzureService. If you are looking for a more granular solution, you can delete a role instance (see msdn.microsoft.com/library/azure/dn469418.a..) and wrap this call in PS.

Can you let me know if you are looking for one of these solutions? If you are looking for a specific cmdlet that does not exist either as an Azure cmdlet or in the REST API, then I’ll move this request over to cloud services since they own adding this functionality.

10. Why doesn't runbook editor tell me why I can't save

I am having issues with saving a runbook but the editor is giving me no indication why? Please fix this

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Have you tried refreshing the browser or starting a new session? This could be because the browser got in a bad state or if could be an issue with how you have written your runbook.

Regardless, our team will investigate because this is not the correct behavior even if there is an error with the syntax in your runbook.

11. Support modules and other assets at the subscription level

Allow user to import / create an asset and have it usable in all automation accounts, instead of having to create the same asset in multiple automation accounts.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Sort and search assets

Provide the ability to search and sort for all of the different asset types

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We just added search for runbooks, and assets are in our backlog, but not planned yet. This vote helps us prioritize so thank you for posting!

13. Get-AzureAutomationJob output has JobParameters as empty. Output doesnt contain the JobContextID , and the HybridWorker property is empty.

Get-AzureAutomationJob output has JobParameters as empty. Output doesnt contain the JobContextID , and the HybridWorker property is empty.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting this! Our team will investigate adding a fix for these issues.

14. RSA two factor authentication causes a login error in the ISE-AddOn

When using the ISE Add-In and logging in with two factor RSA authentication the login page errors out.

Line: 280, Char: 1, Error: Unable to set property 'onkeypress' to undefined null reference. Code: 0

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow "secret" params to be hidden from logs

Parameters passed to a runbook when starting a job might be sensitive (such as passwords etc). It would be great to be able to mark a parameter as secret to avoid having the value show up in logs.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Runbook Libraries / Repositories

It would be nice to bundle up runbooks related to a certain integration into a library of child repository in Azure. Let me do some explaining on this. Currently I have 235 runbooks for automation which makes managing my environment a little difficult over time. It would be nice to bundle up runbooks related to a solution such as F5 integration. A library could contain the PowerShell module that we created for F5 integration, but the real power would be adding in runbooks that use that module. So I could have a collection of runbooks like Create-VIP, Update-VIP, Delete-VIP, Remove-From-Pool,…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this suggestion!

Do you want the collection of runbooks and modules visually grouped in a folder-like structure, or are you looking for the ability to export (either to source control or locally) as a solution and to share the collection in your team? Or are you looking for both?

Thanks,
    Beth

17. previously working SSH scripts now says "cmdlet not found"

This may be temporary since I've noticed some changes in the preview portal, but my previously (about 12 hours ago) working SSH scripts are now not recognizing Invoke-AutomationSshCommand:

Failed
    The term 'Invoke-AutomationSshCommand' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Linus,

I think this was answered on a few other channels, but wanted to post an update here just in case. We have removed this default module from the service, and do not have a planned ETA on when we will add this back.

I’ll treat this as a vote to add a Microsoft Linux supported module, to help us prioritize when we can get the module back into the service.

Thanks,
    Beth

18. Edge

When using MS Edge with AA and the preview portalm the browser reloads the entire portal when you try to start a runbook with parameters.
    Repro:
    - selected a runbook
    - click on start
    - when the parameters balde opens try to modify a parameter

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Are you still having this issue? I am unable to reproduce this issue in the edge browser now and can successfully start both test and published runbooks.

If you are still experiencing the same problem, can you please provide more detail.

19. Import certificates created by publish settings

When downloading the publish settings file certificates are created in all of my subscriptions. I can import and use them in the shell, but why cannot I use them as automation assets?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updating this to be reviewed.

To be transparent, since we are moving to Azure Resource Manager which doesn’t support publish settings files, we will be unlikely to take this request. If this is a real blocker for you, please respond with a bit more detail so we can take a closer look.

20. Connection fields for modules are not updated

I have a module that has a connection. That connection has 3 fields in it. Import the module in SMA. I can see the connection imported by that module and I can create connections. I update my module and in the definition for the connection I add 2 more fields. I logon to the Azure Portal. Remove my old module and import the new one with the updated connection that has 5 fields in total. When I try to create a new connection of the type in my module I can see only the 3 fields that were in my…

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion. Yes, as you mentioned & Joe explained this is a known issue in SMA and Azure Automation, but there are workarounds now.
    We can use this request to track making connection types mutable.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base