Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add link to manage Assets from Runbook context

Assets can only be managed through the "Assets" link from the Azure Automation Account context. Since Assets are an important piece of building and managing Runbooks, please add a link to Assets directly from the Runbook context in the Azure Portal.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for the suggestion. Are you looking for the ability to edit and delete assets while authoring a runbook? You can currently use the “Manage” command at the bottom of the authoring view to create assets.

2. Apply DSC sequentially in Availability Groups and Zones

Say you have a configuration that applies to two servers behind a load balancer and it includes the installation of some software.
    You now want to upgrade that software so you update the product ID and link to MSI.
    Once the servers pick up the change and attempt to apply it, they could both do it simultaneously causing a system outage.

Having DSC respect Availability Groups and Zones would prevent this happening and allow the use of DSC for automatic upgrades.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow access to Azure KeyVault

Currently, i'm using azureKeyVault for account and secret but it didn't work in DSC automation configuration so i need to push to AzureAutomationCredential to access. Is it possible to allow access keyvault from automation ?

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. startup

why not to add "startup" function instad of only "shutdown" in VM manager?

I can use automation, but almost run error. it's too hard to use. I hope new feature of "auto start up" VM for the next times.

Thank you!

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are looking at simplifying the automation scripts used for starting and shutting down VMs in your subscription so hopefully that will make it easier to use. We will update with the status here once we have a solution in place.
    Thanks for the feedback.

5. Format document in portal PowerShell editor

It would be convenient to have a Visual Studio style "Format document" button, which automatically fixes indentation and other formatting issues with a runbook in the portal editor.

See also:
    https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/19002523-add-format-document-for-powershell-code

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Graphical: Add labels to links

Please make it possible to add labels on links in graphical runbooks, otherwise I can be hard to understand logic of the runbook. (Was one of the great features of SCO Classic).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bug in associate shcedule to a runbook through cmdlet Register-AzureRmAutomationScheduledRunbook

You can define inconsistent types between runbook parameter type and the type of the parameter associated with a schedule. For example, if you have a runbook RB0, it has a parameter P0 of type Boolean.
    You can actually use Register-AzureRmAutomationScheduledRunbook cmdlet to associate a schedule with parameter P0 of a string type.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Azure portal blades are impossible to navigate. Please add sizing controls to better navigate.

The blades on the portal are very poor in performance and navigation controls. Please improve the blade navigation by adding sizing controls. The technologies and solutions are great, but the portal experience leaves the users abandoning the idea.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Separate contexts for each job

When working with ARM resources using a run-as account, all concurrently running jobs share the same context. So if one job uses Set-AzureRmContext to switch to a particular subscription, all other jobs will have their context changed to the same subscription.

This makes the scenario of executing jobs against different subscriptions in parallel impossible.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Start-AzureRmAutomationDscCompilationJob incorrect error message when configurationname is incorrect

When calling Start-AzureRmAutomationDscCompilationJob if the configurationname parameter is not a published config, the error message reports that the AutomationAccount is not found.

The correct error should state that the ConfigurationName is not found.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. HybridWorker servername in logs

Seeing that the new functionality of importing Azure Automation logs directly to OMS, it would be nice if the logs contained the name of the HybridWorker is has been running on.

Our environment consists of 4 HybridWorkers as of now - and to be able to troubleshoot, we need to know exactly what server a runbook has been executed on.

Right now, we use on-prem logging besides the OMS part - with some custom way to fetch the servername.
    If we can get servername in the OMS logs too, we can totally skip our on-prem logging.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Runbook-Editor: Add #region-#endregion

Runbook-Editor: Please add #region-#endregion support to the runbook-editor. This would improve working with large runbooks a lot.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Change the interface so it actually makes sense

I have no idea how to change the password for automation. There are ten or twenty screens which I can't seem to find any reference for. I get messages like:

"The running command stopped because the preference variable "ErrorActionPreference" or common parameter is set to Stop: [...]: Error validating credentials. [...]: Invalid username or password"

...and there's nothing about it anywhere on the web. I can't find help. I phone the support and they have no idea what they're talking about. The whole community is full of snark when I ask about such things ("it's easy", "you should know if…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Updated function params in imported module do not reflect in graphical workflows

What I did is - I created my own module with a test function requiring one parameter. I imported that module into Azure Automation, created a new graphical workflow and added that function to the canvas. So far so good, it showed one required parameter.

Then I modified the function and added a second mandatory parameter. I increased the version number, imported the module again, but the function in the graphical workflow still shows just one required parameter. Running the workflow fails, because there's no value given for the second parameter.

The only solution I found was to remove the…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Connection types are defined as a file in the module file. Is there a reason that you want to created them via cmdlets instead?

As a side note, you can do this through our API today as a workaround.

16. Support Variable strings longer than 512 characters in the UX

the UX should not limit what is possible to from Set-AutomationVariable

currently the UI limits a string variable to 512 characters but you set a longer string via the Set-AutomationVariable

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. parameterset

support parametersets in powershell scripts.
    I have several usecases, as with functions where I could benefit from parameterset support.
    Currently Parent - child scripts can be used as a workaround, but include overhead for common features\elements

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. New Service Principal Account for Existing Automation Accounts

Add a button to create Service Principal for accounts that don't have a SP or to replace/update current cert used buy SP runas Account.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this idea. The team is looking into this. I’ll update when we start working on this feature.

19. Please add SQL as Runbook type.

This would make Azure Automation a suitable replacement for SQL Agent. It would require only a few inputs: Server, Database, Credentials and obviously the SQL code to execute.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Describe properties of a connection

When adding a new Connection, it would be nice to have descriptions or more information for the various required fields - Application, Tenant, Certificate - and possibly a dropdown box for the subscription.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for posting this! We had considered something similar a while back, but it fell off our backlog. We’ll take another look.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base