Diagnostics and Monitoring

How can we improve Azure Diagnostics and Monitoring?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. last month

Add "Last month" to date picker.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. User action logging

There isn’t an option to track which user has deployed or deleted what services. This option is currently not available but may be implemented in future.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow scale settings for morning, afternoon, and night

Increase granularity of scale instances from just Day/Night to Morning/Afternoon/Night to enable different scale settings during the day when usage may be higher in the Afternoon vs Morning or vice versa.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Enable a "before or after" event to be defined in auto-scaling of Cloud Services

We domain-join the Virtual Machines associated with our Cloud Service roles. Of course, the process of joining the domain forces a reboot. And, when scaling up, this is fine. However, when scaling-down we want to automatically remove the machines AD Account from the domain. I don't see a way to execute a "before or after" event in Azure auto-scaling. The current prescription is to override the roles OnStop event. However, there is no way to tell if it is a simple reboot or an actual de-allocation.

We should be able to explicitly define & execute a separate set of code…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Is this code that you’d want to define inside your role, or, code that you’d want to define in the autoscale setting?

5. Allow application diagnostics to be enabled for table and blog storage

In the old portal you could enable application diagnostics to be output to file system, table and blob. In the new portal I can only enable file system. The table and blob options are missing?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Monitoring would not work for me in a Single Node

I posted in the MSDN forum and finally solved it. Please read the forum notes for full details and fixes too. Let me highlight the bug. When you click on Diagnostics and then Overview you get a screen for configuring the counters. There it gives option None-Basic-Custom. So it turns out what ever you see set there is actually not set that display is wrong. So when you start the monitor it will say not data found because not counter has been set. So you have to actually edit and add it.
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/2bf448f5-372c-478d-a55d-8c5bab6af99f/diagnostic-monitoring-does-not-work-on-azure-stack-single-node-deployment?forum=AzureStack

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Application Flow Map

AppDynamics has a Application Flow Map,
    That shows you a good overview of each node and what each node is calling and the time duration of a call. based on that flow you can examine what processes are called over and over and make code changes to cache the call

E.G https://www.appdynamics.com/product/application-performance-management/

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Alert: SQL Azure: Scale: Monitoring the Scale of SQL Azure Scale for a particular time interval.

Alert: SQL Azure: Scale: Monitoring the Scale of SQL Azure Scale for a particular time interval.
    We scale up our non-production SQL azure from standard to premium for performance testing of application and other job runs.
    Team is forgetting to downscale the database which is resulting in high invoice. Can we have an option of Scale in the alert (Eg: triggering an email if a particular DB is on P6 for 24 hours)?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Send notification mails for failed operations

For operations that fail (db did not back up, webjob did not run or finish... etc.), there needs to be an email notification. Otherwise, one has to check all services manually every day, just to make sure everything is running...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Better notifications of services that fail to start at deployement

Azure gives notifications in the portal is a Cloud Service cannot be reached by the Host or if the deployment fails. It would be nice to have notification if a service fails to start. Note there maybe failed services starts even if the webrole or worker roll starts. For example, the Windows Time service maybe set to auto start, but it failed to start.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Database resource utilization graph to show label/description of the resource in question when pinned to startboard

Database resource utilization graph pin to startboard does not show database and or server name. Add a label similar to web app graphs to identify the resource associated with it. This will help to identify the resource quickly when you have multiple database graphs pinned to the startboard.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Active Directory to dynamically detect Groups with Linux Computer members

Requesting a new feature to allow Active Directory to dynamically detect Groups with Linux Computer domain joined members, to support Azure Monitor \ Update Management & Azure Monitor \ Automation. This will meet Enterprise Readiness for Update Management and Automation

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Improve ambiguous message

Went to storage and it says 'Diagnostics may not be enabled'. Does this mean:
    1. I am not permitted to enable diagnostics?
    2. It is possible that right now diagnostics are not turned on

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Matt, we currently show a message ‘Monitoring may not be enabled. Click here to turn on Diagnostics.’ Clicking on it takes you directly to the diagnostics blade where you can turn diagnostics ON for it. If you are having a different experience, can you please share the repro steps and perhaps a screenshot so that we can look into it?
    – Ashwin Kamath, PM, Azure Insights

15. alerts - add desciption make them usable so the people who pay the bills can understand them

Fix the alerts. You send out GUIDS with no identification as to what the subscription is for or what is running out of credits. You might as well not even bother. GUIDS are an engineering tools. You need to make the Alerts readable an understandable by the people who pay the bills.

You need to internalize who the alert is targeted. Showing the alert that ***-***-***-***-***-1234- has a problem is like saying that somewhere in New York city there is a murder taking place. Please send help.

Suggestions
    1. Add a description field (that the user who is setting up…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add shading for Alerts

It would be nice to visually show when an alert will be fired while creating a new alert for any resource. Currently it shows a dark blue bar at the limit, but sometimes it will fire an alert if it is below the limit, and other cases, above the limit.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Suppress alerts with more granularity

Hi there,

It would be interesting to have more granularity on the Action Rules functionality on the alert suppression blade.

I mean, currently is possible to suppress alerts daily, weekly or monthly. What if I want to suppress the alerts fired within a subscription from 7:00 PM to 9:00 AM during the weekdays and during the weekend?

Said in another way, my goal is to receive the alerts generated on my DEV/QA/UAT/etc... subscription ONLY during office hours from monday to friday. I.e: I do not want to be alerted by a QA server/service on sunday, while this should not be…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add machine learning to recognize patterns in I/o behavior. Also could consider ability to add contract verification.

Add ability to monitor changes in I/o behavior (for example through machine learning). You could also consider adding contract verification services. One short coming is that we know that contracts are important for services, and that breaking a contract can cause big issues. We have however few (if any) tools to express contracts or verify that the contracts are met. Checking contracts in real time can cause significant overhead, but it could be more feasible in an 'eventual verification' approach.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Metrics blades should reference what server they are displaying metrics for

On the startboard, you can't label a chart. Clicking the chart opens a metrics blade, but there is no context or way of figuring out WHAT system those metrics are reporting from. Metrics blades should display the server/service they are reporting on since they are not ALWAYS displayed in the context of that server.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Create Alerts based on AI Analytics queries

If I could create alerts based on the results of analytics queries I wouldn't need to have both AI and OMS in 90% of my deployments.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Diagnostics and Monitoring

Feedback and Knowledge Base