Diagnostics and Monitoring

1. Alerts Email Links to Metric, Resource, Alert and Portal

We've set up a few alerts and they are working fine. It was useful in the VSO AI that the emailed alert contained some contextual links. Those links made it quick to get to the metric that triggered the alert for troubleshooting.

Useful links were: Resource (application in old AI parlance), metric history, alert details and portal.

How about giving us more links in emails?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. alert for all health status changes across multiple subscriptions, resource groups and regions

All maintenance and all services should be alerted on, I want to know when ever Azure are making changes that might affect services I have running regardless of subscription, resource group or region as a single place to receive changes or outages on service that is in use.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. feature to operate on the console access screen in boot diagnostic for VM

We would like to request a new feature in the Boot diagnostics option, not just screenshot, would like to have console screen that can do operation directly on the console screen. easy to do online troubleshooting

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Azure Diagnostics ETW default table name should default to WADETWEventTable instead of WADDefaultTable.

Azure Diagnostics agent is currently creating a table named WADDefaultTable for ETW events by default. This would be more aptly named WADETWEventTable to comply with other default table names for other log resources (such as the event log).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Consistent Resource Group casing across all Azure services

There appears to be different casing applied to Resource Group names depending on whether they are viewed in the Resource Group blade or the Monitor Blade when a selecting target for alerting.

When selecting targets to view in the Monitor blade > Create Rule, Resource Groups are duplicated with different casing e.g.

RESOURCE-GROUP-NAME-RG

appvm01-OSDisk

appvm01/MicrosoftMonitoringAgent

Resource-Group-Name-RG

appvm01

appvm01/CustomScriptExtension

There does not seem to be any consistency as to which resources inherit which casing but it means multiple alert rules have to be configured for each VM as a single Resource Group is unable to be targetted to capture VM, disk,…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Scaling of Worker Roles according to Service Bus Message Queues -> Regard Message Status (NOT scale up for scheduled messages)

Since i would like to auto scale worker roles according to service bus message bus queue lengths it does not make any sense IMHO to scale up regardless of the status the messages actually have. If there are messages scheduled and not likely to become active for a long time it is not possible at the moment to scale according to queue length that actually matters -> Active Messages.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a good idea. Thanks for raising it. We will take a look at this autoscale support.

Any additional votes?

7. Azure CLI: azure group log show

I hope to improve the function of Azure Command-Line Interface (CLI).
    When we get audit logs by Azure CLI, We cannot set conditions on Start-Time or End-Time.
    It's very inconvenience. However, we can do it by Azure PowerShell cmdlet or REST-API.

Azure CLI

C:>azure group log show -h
    help: Retrieves and shows logs for resource group operations
    help:
    help: Usage: group log show [options] [name]
    help:
    help: Options:
    help: -h, --help output usage information
    help: -v, --verbose use verbose output
    help: -vv more verbose with debug output
    help: --json use json output
    help: -n --name <name> the resource group name …

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Diagnostic Logs for ADF configured but logs are not always written

I have configured activity, Pipeline and Trigger logs to push to my storage through diagnostic settings on the ADF instance but when a pipeline executes (success or failure) within ADF, sometimes a log is sent to storage and sometimes it is not>!?!?!?!?

I can see the "error" text box within the console (monitor within ADF) but nothing in the PT1H.json file NOR a PT1H.json file even created...

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Monitor performance of resources (types) grouped by tags and alert

It seems defining metric alerts on resources that are grouped by "tag" is not possible. Please let me know otherwise.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. SNAT Metrics for Monitoring and Alerting

Our applications (APIM, App Services, VMs) experience 500 errors at various times after migrations or code updates. Additionally, volume increases on the platform may cause 500 errors.

Many times, these 500 errors are caused by SNAT port exhaustion. However, there is no ability to proactively monitor and alert on SNAT metics similar to other items (i.e. CPU, memory, connections, etc).

Exposing these metrics would allow organizations to more proactively address SNAT issues prior to customer impact. This would be materially helpful to our organization (and others, I am sure).

Thank you.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow Alert Rules to be copied from one component to another (e.g. Prod Web App to Staging Web App)

I just spent a half hour making alert rules on the Prod Web App. Now I would like the same set of Alert Rules on the Staging Web App. I have to manually create all of them but it would be very convenient if there was a way to pull them in from another Web App.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Improve reliability of Usage data

Frequently while I am trying to monitor CPU usage of a VM it will not update the data for a given minute and this leaves wholes in the data

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Logging - Abstract the hell out of it and add seamless support for using Enterprise Blocks.

Logging is so important and every application needs it. Most of the microsoft applications written today use Enterprise application blocks. There should be way for us to be NOT worry about logging when we migrate our on-premisis applications to run on Azure.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an interesting suggestion. Do you still consider Enterprise Blocks to be an important way to instrument your applications, given the other options now available?

14. Support charts with data for many resources in the application

We have different metrics for cloud services. CPU/Memory etc.
    But they display only per cloud server.

I have an application that consist from many clod services: frontend, backend, cache, translation, gis etc.

I want to see some merged charts. For example, I want to see all services CPU consumption telemetry on one chart to see if all my services are handle the load. I don't want to go to each service panel to see theirs CPU load

Thank you.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Create new azure powershell commands for retrieving virtual machines cpu % , network in , network out

Open portal --> click "Virtual machines" --> select the VM you want to monitor --> click "MONITOR" button on the top panel. Then you can view all performance data like cpu , network in , network out etc in the chart and table. To achieve the same thing I found there are no powershell commands. Please Create powershell commands for the same in the future release.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Alert Rules Vanish when moving components to a new Resource Group

The Alert Rules shouldn't vanish after things are moved to a new Resource Group. This caused us to not get an early warning when some serious issues were first occurring.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Reduce the autoscaling and metric collection window (linux and windows)

Currently, the metrics are collected every 15 minutes when scaling based on CPU. We can reduce the scaling frequency down to 15 minutes causing scaling operations to occur up to 30 minutes after the threshold is met. I'd like to see this time decreased significantly on Linux and windows VM's. In live hosting environments, we should be able to scale in minutes if not seconds based on cpu threshold.

Thanks!
    -Elliot

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Differentiate Azure Functions Apps and Azure App Service via Azure Monitor REST API

I am trying to monitor both App Service and Azure Functions via the Azure Monitor REST API. Both use the same resource type "Microsoft.Web/sites".
    Different sets of metrics are returned depending on whether a resource is a Function App or a App Service. Is there a way to determine which metrics are being emitted by each service?
    Is there any plan to give Function Apps a unique resource type identifier?
    Or perhaps add a dimension to these metrics to differentiate which service they are being emitted from?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Stop breaking API's :)

It seems that Azure Monitor REST API for SQL Databases and Storage changed functionality and broke my code 2 days ago. (west europe)

I had a simple REST call that would fetch all 1 minut metrics for a single resource in a single call. New preview api doesn't allow specifying more than a single metric per call which means that my code is now needing to make a call for each metric on each resource. It's probably 10x more REST calls than before.

This worked great with the old API, but 2 days ago it started to return BadOperation.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Azure Diagnostics using Powershell

The extension Id issue between production and staging.

Steps to replicate:
    1. Deploy your sample application with worker role to Staging
    2. Attach diagnostics to Staging
    3. Promote/Swap application to Production
    You will see that the extension also gets swapped to production (you can use Get-AzureServiceDiagnosticsExtension with ServiceName and Slot option to check that) .
    4. Now if we do another deployment to Staging and try to add the diagnostics to Staging it gives an error saying Diagnostics for the extension id already exists. This is because when we swapped staging and production in step 3 the extension also got…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Diagnostics and Monitoring

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base