Diagnostics and Monitoring

How can we improve Azure Diagnostics and Monitoring?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Metric values is not self-explanatory

Metric values is not self-explanatory

Being new to the Azure metric , it is quite difficult to understand what does the success means ( or any other metrics displayed in the dropdown) and it is not even self-explanatory. (pic 1)

There should have been some more information such as “success - The number of successful requests made to a storage service or the specified API operation”.

There are lot of public documentation on monitoring and alerts. It is always suggested to start with these documents. Probably, it is quite difficult to include enough information into the portal to make everything…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Unable to classify the Activity log alerts "level" parameter

As per the current setup one of the parameter "level" in the Activity log alerts are working only by "ALL" option . Since Microsoft have some predefined alert classification, Even though there is a drop down option available (with the following values "Critical,Warning,Information ,,etc").
    So please consider to enable a customized privilege to azure users for enabling the "level" parameter value.
    This would help the users to differentiate the severity of alerts and can be configure a mail box for the same.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Pause the Streaming Log

When you scroll up in the streaming log it shouldn't continue pushing you to the bottom. And when you scroll back to the bottom, it should continue to stream in the UI.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow alerting on searched traces

The alerting feature only allows alerting on predefined metrics. I want to be able to create an alert on any search I make in the data. For instance, I might log an error and need an alert whenever that happens.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When uninstall Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics.IaaSDiagnostics delete WAD0107\Tables directory

we were dealing with missing metrics in extended diagnostics. Based recommendation of page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/monitoring-and-diagnostics/azure-diagnostics-troubleshooting we reinstalled the agent, but it didn't lead to the correction. The Metric was created in Azure portal, but the Storage account table persists empty.

The correction of the issue was:

1) Uninstall the monitoring agent

2) delete the directory

C:\\WindowsAzure\\Logs\\Plugins\\Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics.IaaSDiagnostics\\1.12.0.0\\WAD0107\\Tables
    and redeploy the Diagnostics agent. (1.12.0.0 version may differ, The latest one). If this didn't help, than delete all directory C:\\WindowsAzure\\Logs\\Plugins\\Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics.IaaSDiagnostics.

3) Install again the monitoring agent.

I would recommend to include the deletion of the directory into the uninstall procedure.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Increase Dashboard Timeframe Precision

I would really like to be able to zoom into my dashboard charts further than 1 hour. So much can happen in application, as an example, that gets smoothed over with a graph of 1 hour causing it to completely disappear.

I was having a major problem in my application which caused CPU to spike to 100% within 1 to 2 minute from start, which would then cause a crash and application restart. This start, spiral out of control, and crash occurred every couple of minutes for months on dozens of instances before I ever even noticed it. I had…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Monitoring CPU percentage?

Where does the CPU percentage come from or how is it calculated? I setup an alert, to alert me if CPU usage goes over 50%. If I go to my VM machine, task manager shows CPU use at 100% but in Azure monitoring it shows 66%.

So again, how is the CPU usage computed?

Thanks
    Robert Orsino

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add support for storing diagnostics connection string in KeyVault

For a cloud service, there is currently no way to have the Azure diagnostics connection string stored in Azure KeyVault. I have successfully modified my service to use KeyVault for all my other connection strings, but I have no alternative for diagnostics. Please add this feature.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. PowerShell cmdlets to create Azure alerts

Add cmdlets to create and manage Azure alerts. Currently the only ways to manage these are via the REST API and the .Net SDK (according to the link below). While these can be accessed and manipulated via PowerShell, a series of cmdlets would make for easier management of these alerts.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/insights-receive-alert-notifications/

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Provide a mechanism to surface CPU Steal time

Please provide a mechanism to surface CPU steal time - that is time spent by the VM for Host CPU resources to become available. Shared Resource tools like VMs are sensitive to host-based performance issues, but there appears to be no easy way to see that from the VM level.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Exchange Pack

Would like to monitor exchange server memory/storage and performance and any errors.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Ability to define any performance counter on a monitoring chart

As a user tasked with monitoring and maintaining production systems I would like to be able to define any performance counter available on the VM in Azure to be captured in the storage account and then made accessible in the portal for plotting on monitoring graphs and in the creation of alerts. This is so that we can be alerted to such things as logical disk space and SQL database counter metrics. At the moment we have no centralised way of doing this automatically.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Show deployment markers on all trend charts in portal and App Insights

To make it easier to spot trends and causes, I love to see all charts in the Azure Portal also feature deployments as vertical lines so I can see when any statistic changed due to a deployment.

Etsy does this for their internal builds and I thought it was an excellent idea and was surprised Azure didn't do this since it could easily do so. See attached for a slide from one of their presentations. The vertical lines represent deployments.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Azure opeartion logs : Hosted service deletion log should have deployment details

Azure operation logs under Management Services in management portal should have additional information for Hosted service deletion log. It should have the details of deployments deleted along with the hosted service deletion.

The scenario goes like this : I got a notification as given below from Azure team. Notification mentions some of my deployment Ids which need attention. However, one of the deployment ids in the notification was not present in any of the subscriptions I had. I checked the operation logs and could find hosted service deletion. The log had details of Hosted service and subscription but not the…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Metrics Monitor missing (for Websites etc.)

It was very easy to see the outgoing traffic (and other metrics) in the old portal (e.g. go to a Website and then go to Monitor).
    In the new portal is seems that only http requests are shown - is this a limitation from the preview? Would like to see other metrics as well.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Provide the basic stats dashboard widget

We need to know the resource health status and its performance over time. But we are unable to find any such option in the panel.

Please provide the dashboard widget that indicates the resource health in terms of load, cpu and memory consumption. It will help us to know when an upgrade/degrade is required.

We have received all such stats on AWS and find this important information is missing and there is no way on the portal to grab this information.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Built-in logging for low-level issues

Multiple times I ran into issues where roles would not properly start or where log transfer to Blob storage does not work. This is an absolute time killer because the remedy is trial-and-error, waiting for a forum answer or contacting WAZ support.
    I would expect that Windows Azure provides low-level "bootstrap" log information for troubleshooting right out of the box. Non-inclusive list of things I would want to see is (all based on personal experience):
    -Assembly binding issues, missing assemblies, assembly version mismatches.
    -Misconfigured diagnostic log connection strings
    -Which overridden role methods were called plus any exceptions that might have…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for the feedback, I agree that understanding the issues that are preventing your role from starting would be very useful — I myself have had roles that have failed to start and wanted to know why that was.

18. notification email not have the usefull message in activity log

We create an role assignments alert. We find that the notification email is not showing the target object which is being added or removed from Azure Role. But this information is available in Activity log.

Please also add the message in Activity log into notification email.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Alert on Auto Scaling

Hi,

I've just enabled the Auto-Scaling feature for one of our Websites.
    However I miss the option to be alerted when the number of assigned instances changes.

Can you please add an alert feature?

thanks!

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Nir Mashkowski responded

We currently put an entry in the Operation Log whenever there is a Success or Failure in autoscaling. We also send an email on the Failure, but not success of autoscale. The reason for this is it would be extremely noisy – we do many thousands of scale actions in a day.

We may potentially add this as an opt-in only feature in the future, but it’s not on the immediate roadmap.

20. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Diagnostics and Monitoring

Feedback and Knowledge Base