Diagnostics and Monitoring

1. Implement syslog events out of azure

create the capability to syslog out events of all activities within a given subscription in the Azure infrastructure (create/change/delete VM, network security group, endpoints, users, etc.)

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. A record of the activation push to this category of Activity log, if Metric Alert is activated.(Microsoft.Insights/MetricAlerts)

I understand that each time a supported Azure alert type 'activates', or the conditions are met to generate a notification, a record of the activation is also pushed to this category of the Activity Log.

However,New Metric Alert activation does not recorded to this category of Activity log. (Also Log Analytics Alert is same as New Metric Alert.)

I would like to know when the all kind of alert was activated from Activity log.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Export chart data

The ability to export the data from a chart would really help when trying to analyse usage data.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Fix the HTTP Queue Length Metric on App Service Plans

PSS told me today that the HTTP Queue Length metric on the App Service Plan level actually maps to total current active requests, not an HTTP queue. Apparently this issue also existed at the app service level but was previously resolved. (The App Service Plan is in an ASE if that matters.)

Also, if this were a queue, it's aggregating using a sum at lower time grains where an average would be appropriate.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Raise the Alert Monitor Limit per Azure Subscription

Currently, there is a ten alert limit for cloud services per subscription in Azure. This is functionally useless. We do four deployments per app for geo-redundancy, and if we want to monitor three different things on all our boxes, we're already over the limit. And we have dozens of apps.

Also, if you do increase the alert count, considering enabling an option to change monitoring level to verbose using the API, so we can automate the creation of monitors for memory usage.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Application Gateway Backend Pool Status not available in logs

Using the Application Gateway we setup logging as discussed in: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/application-gateway-diagnostics/ and that is most useful, however, there is no way to see WHICH backend pools are unhealthy. It only says 2 of 6 or (x of y) not which ones. It would be MOST useful to include that data in the Diagnostic Logs in some fashion. Thanks!

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. AZURE Admin Login Notifications by email or SMS.

I have been plagued by unbelievable security issues with my ISP MediaTemple for more than 2yrs now. After contacting more than 10 ISP's over a 1yr period it seems that there is no functionality in the marketplace to allow the primary ADMIN of a ISP cloud/webhosting account, in this case the admin user of a Azure, to be notified by SMS or email when someone logs into the admin account to view/modify settings.

An example. Someone sniffed my packets and passwords. Logged into my admin account. Changed DNS and Zone file records and put a MX redirect so that all…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Change Instance Size dynamically on Auto scaling.

Can we also increase decrease Instance size while auto scaling . For example lets say I have some instances and I want whenever CPU load is less I want small size instances to be running if CPU load increases then instance size should increase to large size VM(instance).

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. WAD/LAD config policy apply to resource group

Configuring the Windows/Linux diagnostic extensions is quite complicated. It would be great if we had the ability to write a diagnostic policy and be able to apply it to all resources within a Resource Group instead of configuring each individual resource.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Boot diagnostics screen autorefresh

It would be very useful, Boot diagnostics screen made auto refresh every 5 or 10 sec.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Document your metrics

It's extremely frustrating that there is no documentation that explains what your metrics actually are.

e.g.
    For VM disk read operations: is it the sum across all volumes, the average, or the max, etc?

For Azure App Plans with multiple instances: if I have 10 machines, you report one single metric for CPU usage, and the others. Do you average? Sum? Max?

All of this should be clearly documented.

The following page simply gives the description for the metric as "Disk Read IOPS" - what disk? Just one disk? All disks? The sum of all disks? The average?
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/monitoring-and-diagnostics/monitoring-supported-metrics

In…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please allow the 'Summary' and 'Details' Markdown Tags

Please allow the 'Summary' and 'Details' Markdown Tags in Azure Monitor workbooks so that one can insert expanders to make long documents more precise. It is a bug that these tags work in one Microsoft tool eg. Visual Studio Code and not in another ie. Azure workbooks.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Provide event streaming API on the Diagnostics Monitor

I need more real-time monitoring than currently is possible. The DiagnosticsMonitor should stream the events it captures to an attached listner.
    We can then create a custom listner which registers with the diagnotics monitor for all or some specific events we are interested in.
    we are then, code wise, free to transport that info to the storage container of our choosing.
    It also opens up the possibilities of online service monitoring sites to provide a custom listner which you as a customer can deploy with your app.
    This also has the benefit that you don't have to provide keys to…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  Stephen Siciliano responded

Earlier this year we released the ability to stream logs from Windows Azure Websites. However this capability does not yet exist for other services (such as Cloud Services).

14. Allow accents (and other special caracters), at least on descriptions

For example when creating an alert rule on a web hosting plan, it hurts when we must write in french "Memoire depasse 90 pourcent" instead of "Mémoire dépasse 90 %" (see accents and % caracter).

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Alert for Azure data factory pipeline duration

I am using Data factory V2. It seems there is no Alerts configuration for the pipeline duration. We had some issues where pipeline got stuck and long running for hours. We can't monitor it manually and would like to know if there is any way to trigger alert if pipeline runs for more than a threshold value.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Metrics from VM Guest OS in Azure Monitor

Guest OS Metrics on a VM is exposed in Classic with diagnostics enabled but they are not exposed in the new Azure Monitor solution. Please expose Guest OS Metrics in Azure Monitor as well, we monitor onprem using SCOM and newer versions of Azure Management Pack does not support classic anymore.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. set-AzureRmVMDiagnosticsExtension changes the StorageAccount to storageAccount

set-AzureRmVMDiagnosticsExtension changes the StorageAccount to storageAccount.

bug testing scenario:
    1) create VM
    2) enable extended diagnostics from azure portal
    3) check StorageAccount by get-AzureRmVMDiagnosticsExtension command
    4) store the JSON file of PublicSetting to a.json, don't modify (there is record StorageAccount), implement it on VM by set-AzureRmVMDiagnosticsExtension
    5) Get the value by get-AzureRmVMDiagnosticsExtension. You will observe that value is changed to storageAccount
    6) change metrics in portal
    7) get value by get-AzureRmVMDiagnosticsExtension, you will observe that 2 values are present: storageAccount and StorageAccount

IMPACT:
    A) this cause issue when changing diagnostics extension by commad set-AzureRmVMDiagnosticsExtension

B) Unable to create (initate) diagnostics…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Show custom counters in the Monitoring graph and allow alerts based of custom counters

I've created a custom counter that I can see using the "Azure Management Studio" tool, but it doesn't show up in the Monitoring graph.
    I would love to be able to set an alert that says when a custom counter is below a certain level send out an alert, but it doesn't show my custom counters in the alert configuration wizard

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Threshold Unit for Capacity metric

Threshold Unit for Capacity metric

Scenario: For the “Capacity” Metric ,the unit is being displayed as “Bytes”, it is quite painful to calculate, if we have GB/TB of data, even if we miss single digit, it will cost us huge.
    Why can’t we have units in term of “GB” or “TB” along with the bytes.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Metric Monitoring for Upcoming Metric Pricing Changes

In June of 2018, the pricing model for the Metrics API will change from completely free, to charging after the first million queries. (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/monitor/) After consulting with support, there appears to be no way to get the current API "usage", so thus no way to truly know how much you will be charged. Running a distributed development shop, it is difficult for us to gauge how often our developers, support, and sales engineering are actually hitting the Metrics API used within our products. Can a metric to actually gauge how often the Metric API is queried be added?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Diagnostics and Monitoring

Feedback and Knowledge Base