Diagnostics and Monitoring

1. Add monitoring of vCPU usage against quota at subscription level

Currently there is no out-of-the-box way of monitoring vCPU usage over time and against subscription quotas.

This really comes into play when using services like Azure Databricks which create and destroy VMs in the subscription very frequently.

We semi-regularly encounter failures in scaling operations on these services as we bumpo up against subscription vCPU limits, however there's no easy way of proactively mitigating against them - the Azure Portal only shows the current usage, which may be fine, and show plenty of spare capacity depending on the time of day/current usage. However there is no real way of seeing a…

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Monintor VM Status

Add a feature to monitor the Status of a VM with some conditions.
    Ex.: I want to receive an alert when the Status of VM "X" is not "Running".

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Alert for Azure data factory pipeline duration

I am using Data factory V2. It seems there is no Alerts configuration for the pipeline duration. We had some issues where pipeline got stuck and long running for hours. We can't monitor it manually and would like to know if there is any way to trigger alert if pipeline runs for more than a threshold value.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Create Activity Log Alerts and Action Groups by PowerShell cmdlts

When we want to create Activity Log Alerts and Action Groups, we can only use Azure Portal or Resource Manager templates.
    However, it well be easier if it will be able to create these resources by PowerShell cmdlts.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/monitoring-and-diagnostics/monitoring-activity-log-alerts
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/monitoring-and-diagnostics/monitoring-action-groups

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re definitely looking to add PowerShell support for Activity Log Alerts and Action Groups. Currently, we’re hoping that this will be in the October Azure PowerShell release.

John Kemnetz
    Program Manager, Azure Monitor

5. Bring back the dashboard tiles that can show me the performance tier and number of instances my app service plan is running at.

I have a dashboard with 7 app service plans on it. For each plan, I had 1 tile that showed me the current tier: S1, S2, S3, etc. and 1 tile that show me the instance count; 1 or 5 or 10, etc.

A week or 2 ago, these tiles stopped working and I got a notise that those tiles have been "Retired".

Now it seems that there is no replacement tile to provide the same information.

How can that be. I hope I am wrong.

Please advise.

See this for more info: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9c1c0633-ceff-493f-be9b-f62f8cb279e2/how-can-i-monitore-the-instance-count-of-an-app-service-plan-on-a-dashboard?forum=windowsazurewebsitespreview

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Additional Azure Monitor metric - RAM/Memory resource

Considering there are various CPU, Network and Disk metrics available, could we also have "RAM/Memory % utilization" please?

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add the ability to monitor total RAM usage on a VM

We have a graph that monitors CPU usage, Network traffic, and disk read/write, but it would be very nice to have a graph to show RAM usage on a VM over a period of time (much like the CPU). Especially when deciding to switch between say an A2 and an A5.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Better Management of WAD Diagnostic Tables

Today it is really easy to configure the collection of Perf Counters for your PAAS apps. AND nearly impossible to manage the data that produces.

1. I'd like Management Portal to let me set a "Truncate after N Days" setting on all the WAD tables. especially WADPerformanceCountersTable

2. I'd like a Report or Display to help me manage my Azure Tables. Show me "Table Name" "Storage used (MB)" "Num Rows / Num BLOBs" it doesn't have to be exact, a close approximate will do. This would help to understand billing. As it is easy to have 100's GB's in Storage tables that…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Application Insights Snapshot Debugger for AKS, Kubernetes, and Linux

Please add support for the Application Insights Snapshot Debugger to AKS, Kubernetes (on-prem clusters), and Linux.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Download performance metrics from portal

It would be really great to be able to download the performance metrics from a chart as a csv or excel file.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Provide a mechanism to surface CPU Steal time

Please provide a mechanism to surface CPU steal time - that is time spent by the VM for Host CPU resources to become available. Shared Resource tools like VMs are sensitive to host-based performance issues, but there appears to be no easy way to see that from the VM level.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Azure IaaS SQL VM Monitoring

Azure Monitor provides in depth monitoring of Azure SQL PaaS. But there is currently no IaaS SQL based monitoring for Azure Monitor. This is a very, very large gap for IaaS and on-prem based VMs.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add support for enabling diagnostics 1.3 via TFS build

Prior to SDK 2.5, the diagnostics config was part of the Azure Service Configuration, and was enabled automatically when we built and published using TFS / Visual Studio Online.

We use the Staging > Production VIP swap approach to deployments, so we are always deploying to an empty staging slot.

Now that diagnostics is an extension, we need to manually enable the diagnostics using Powershell every time we deploy to Staging.

Furthermore, because we need to wait for the slot to exist before we can enable diagnostics, we have no way of retrieving any diagnostics during role startup.

For now…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Is LogRhythm supported?

On the page, it says;
    Only IBM QRadar, Splunk and SumoLogic are supported for routing the logs to these vendors.

Are you also supporting LogRhythm?

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add a button for copying an existing Alert Rule

I am currently creating duplicates for every Alert Rule so that I can have two versions of each one. I want one copy of each Alert Rule to have a lower threshold which will go out to the engineers. I want another Alert Rule with a much higher threshold which will go out to DevOps.

Would save me a lot of time if there was a copy button.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Enhance Audit Logs on new portal with Timestamp and Started status

Old management portal shows Audit Log in pretty good way: Each record has detailed timestamps with seconds. It's absolutely clear when operation is Started and when it is finished (Succeeded/Failed).

Please consider enhancing Audit Logs on new portal with this information. It is very useful during troubleshooting.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is available in the Azure Portal. To configure which columns are shown for the Activity Log, simply use the “columns” button at the top of the Activity Log blade.

Thanks,

John Kemnetz
    Program Manager, Azure Monitor

17. Change timezone of Azure Diagnostics log file in blob store

When I browse to the log file created by Azure Diagnostics in blob storage, the folder structure is like year/month/day/hour where hour is in UTC format. This causes confusion in my organisation. I'd like to either have the opportunity to set my own timezone for this or the timezone of the app service should be taken.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When there is a scaling alert it should tell me which one of my rules cause the scaling up or down.

When I get an email scale up or down alert for my site. I have no idea which one of my rules has caused the action. It could have been CPU, Memory, or any one of my scale up metrics I am monitoring. It would be really nice to know which one it is.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Application Insights Service Profiler for AKS and Kubernetes

Please add support for AKS and Kubernetes (on-prem clusters) to Application Insights Service Profiler.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Audit and IT fundamental services

Provide unalterable audit logs for services like ACS.

Provide management stats and backup/recovery mechanisms and services for all provided services.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll look into this. Each service has their own auditing capabilities, but we can consider standardization, if that would be helpful for you. Let us know if you have any specifics you’re looking for or ways this could help you.

• Don't see your idea?

Diagnostics and Monitoring

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base