How can we improve Azure Diagnostics and Monitoring?

Have the diagnostics engine push remaining data to storage on shutdown

I'd like to see the Diagnostics agent be aware of a graceful shutdown scenario (instance count being lowered for example) and if it has been working on a schedule to push data to storage attempt to push any data since the last scheduled transfer over before the system is fully shutdown.

If you have a schedule set up to move data every 5 or 10 minutes (or really any time schedule that isn't in the seconds) you could considerable amount of data if the role is shutdown between scheduled pushes. It would be nice if an attempt is actually made automatically to move anything since the last scheduled push.

You could manually accomplish this in the Role OnStop to do a manual transfer, but then you could get duplicate data, etc.

The trick would be around how long could the system really wait on the transfer before shutting down. OnStop has roughly 30 seconds...how much could the WAD engine get? Interesting issues to think about, but I think having this type of mechanism built in would be a good idea.

47 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
MikeWo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  Stephen Siciliano responded  · 

Thank you for the suggestion. This seems like a reasonable way to make sure that you collect all of the diagnostic data from your virtual machines. I have passed this idea on to the WAD team.

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base