How can we improve Azure Diagnostics and Monitoring?

Allow Alert Rules to be renamed

As it is now, you have to delete the alert rule and recreate it if you want to change the name.

185 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you pleas fix this to save us wasting our time performing what should be a very simple task.

• Graham Bunce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

presumably the same Microsoft idiots who thought it would be a good idea to use the "string" name for a project in TFS as the unique ID, so we couldn't rename projects for years, designed this so that the name of the alert is actually part of the unique key in their database..... otherwise what's the problem in getting this done?

• Chris Stowell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a complete waste to have to delete alert rules in order to "rename" them. This means whenever naming conventions are updated within your customer's business, then in order to adapt.. they either ignore and hope it doesn't cause problems, or they have to add so much extra work to go through each and every one and delete and recreate which in itself creates a higher risk of error when recreating.

This is something should be done on priority so that we can edit the alert title when we change threshold.

Otherwise Alert title and threshold does not match and confuse people.

• Sandeep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a poor user experience, especially when bulk changing Alert names...

Voila, found other fellow techies with this frustrating issue. I thought by now Microsoft would have gotten their act together to fix something as simple as "renaming a rule". I'm embarrassed for the dev group that was behind this one. Guess I need to delete and re-create in order to rename. Pitiful!!

• Robert Bridenbecker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ugg .... my alert is named "<machine> CPU greater than 50%", surprised I can't change the name as easily as I can change the threshold.

• Jay Dobson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. This is a poor user experience, especially when bulk changing Alert names...

• Dee Bee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rename by deleting is so lame... Shows the product development cares not to improve end user efficiency.

• Jerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I dont know if this will ever get implemented since it's been 2 years now.. it's more of an annoyance than anything.. but should be so easy to implement as well on Microsoft's part... I'm sure this is near the bottom of the feature queue.

Feedback and Knowledge Base