Diagnostics and Monitoring

How can we improve Azure Diagnostics and Monitoring?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Please allow the 'Summary' and 'Details' Markdown Tags

Please allow the 'Summary' and 'Details' Markdown Tags in Azure Monitor workbooks so that one can insert expanders to make long documents more precise. It is a bug that these tags work in one Microsoft tool eg. Visual Studio Code and not in another ie. Azure workbooks.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Increase the number of files that can be monitored under FIM

File Integrity Monitoring in Azure is currently limited to a maximum of 500 files. We have an application that has over 20,000. So I'd like to see the limit raised well above this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Active Directory to dynamically detect Groups with Linux Computer members

Requesting a new feature to allow Active Directory to dynamically detect Groups with Linux Computer domain joined members, to support Azure Monitor \ Update Management & Azure Monitor \ Automation. This will meet Enterprise Readiness for Update Management and Automation

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Diagnostic Logs for ADF configured but logs are not always written

I have configured activity, Pipeline and Trigger logs to push to my storage through diagnostic settings on the ADF instance but when a pipeline executes (success or failure) within ADF, sometimes a log is sent to storage and sometimes it is not>!?!?!?!?

I can see the "error" text box within the console (monitor within ADF) but nothing in the PT1H.json file NOR a PT1H.json file even created...

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Suppress alerts with more granularity

Hi there,

It would be interesting to have more granularity on the Action Rules functionality on the alert suppression blade.

I mean, currently is possible to suppress alerts daily, weekly or monthly. What if I want to suppress the alerts fired within a subscription from 7:00 PM to 9:00 AM during the weekdays and during the weekend?

Said in another way, my goal is to receive the alerts generated on my DEV/QA/UAT/etc... subscription ONLY during office hours from monday to friday. I.e: I do not want to be alerted by a QA server/service on sunday, while this should not be…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add way to clean old logs

Diagnostic data can currently be logged to a storage account. Data is for example logged to multiple WADMetrics tables.

After a while, these can grow quiet big. So it would be great to be able to specify a maximum log size (x GB) or a maximum log age (x days). If the log size or maximum is exceeded, the oldest entries would automatically be deleted.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Alert when a Rule Alert was deleted

Create a rule that has a condition of:
    Alert when a Rule Alert was deleted

Kindly give me an Idea.
    Thank you!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. multiple email address per one action

The customer wants to register multiple e-mail addresses in the action group.
    Now it is one email address per action.
    Can this be multiple email addresses per action?
    Are there plans to be changed in the future.

Customers are concerned about erasing the action by mistake.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add monitoring of vCPU usage against quota at subscription level

Currently there is no out-of-the-box way of monitoring vCPU usage over time and against subscription quotas.

This really comes into play when using services like Azure Databricks which create and destroy VMs in the subscription very frequently.

We semi-regularly encounter failures in scaling operations on these services as we bumpo up against subscription vCPU limits, however there's no easy way of proactively mitigating against them - the Azure Portal only shows the current usage, which may be fine, and show plenty of spare capacity depending on the time of day/current usage. However there is no real way of seeing a…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. NSG Flow Log Export to Event Hub for SIEM Ingestion

NSG Flow Logs can be viewed in Network Watcher or Exported to Storage, but the option to export to Event Hub is missing. Since Event Hubs have become the standard interface for SIEM solutions to access Azure logs, it would be great to be able to handle NSG Flow Logs the same way.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Monitoring roles to be added in resource level, not subscription/resource group level

I have users that I'd like to grant the ability to create, modify and delete Alerts and Availability Monitors at Resouce level.

Currently, azure does not allow to create monitoring role at Resources level. Only able to create Monitoring roles at Subscription level which we would like to avoid as this user is not supposed to view other resources monitoring information.

We have 1 single Subscription that has multiple Resource group under it. This user only has access(owner role) to this particular Resources under this Resouce Group.

We only want to grant this user monitoring roles for this single Resouces…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Improve reliability of Usage data

Frequently while I am trying to monitor CPU usage of a VM it will not update the data for a given minute and this leaves wholes in the data

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. alert for all health status changes across multiple subscriptions, resource groups and regions

All maintenance and all services should be alerted on, I want to know when ever Azure are making changes that might affect services I have running regardless of subscription, resource group or region as a single place to receive changes or outages on service that is in use.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. APIM Load Balancer Metrics to View SNAT Metrics Status so I Proactive Know When To Scale

My enterprise was on the phone for the last week with Microsoft support staff trying to troubleshoot a 500 "Unable to connect to remote server" issue.

The result was the SNAT was maxed out on our APIM instance. Having metrics would allow us to proactively scale it.

118 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. sms in sweden

Enable the SMS notification to be used globally. My customer in Sweden cannot use this function today since country code isn't available.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Monitor performance of resources (types) grouped by tags and alert

It seems defining metric alerts on resources that are grouped by "tag" is not possible. Please let me know otherwise.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Alert Rules Dimensions

When one Alert is triggers using Dimensions in the Email Information it does not specify the Dimension (object) that generated the issue.
    This appears only when the alert is set to resolved.

Is this normal procedure or is this a bug?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. set-AzureRmVMDiagnosticsExtension changes the StorageAccount to storageAccount

set-AzureRmVMDiagnosticsExtension changes the StorageAccount to storageAccount.

bug testing scenario:
    1) create VM
    2) enable extended diagnostics from azure portal
    3) check StorageAccount by get-AzureRmVMDiagnosticsExtension command
    4) store the JSON file of PublicSetting to a.json, don't modify (there is record StorageAccount), implement it on VM by set-AzureRmVMDiagnosticsExtension
    5) Get the value by get-AzureRmVMDiagnosticsExtension. You will observe that value is changed to storageAccount
    6) change metrics in portal
    7) get value by get-AzureRmVMDiagnosticsExtension, you will observe that 2 values are present: storageAccount and StorageAccount

IMPACT:
    A) this cause issue when changing diagnostics extension by commad set-AzureRmVMDiagnosticsExtension

B) Unable to create (initate) diagnostics…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. When uninstall Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics.IaaSDiagnostics delete WAD0107\Tables directory

we were dealing with missing metrics in extended diagnostics. Based recommendation of page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/monitoring-and-diagnostics/azure-diagnostics-troubleshooting we reinstalled the agent, but it didn't lead to the correction. The Metric was created in Azure portal, but the Storage account table persists empty.

The correction of the issue was:

1) Uninstall the monitoring agent

2) delete the directory

C:\\WindowsAzure\\Logs\\Plugins\\Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics.IaaSDiagnostics\\1.12.0.0\\WAD0107\\Tables
    and redeploy the Diagnostics agent. (1.12.0.0 version may differ, The latest one). If this didn't help, than delete all directory C:\\WindowsAzure\\Logs\\Plugins\\Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics.IaaSDiagnostics.

3) Install again the monitoring agent.

I would recommend to include the deletion of the directory into the uninstall procedure.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Diagnostics and Monitoring

Feedback and Knowledge Base