Diagnostics and Monitoring

1. A record of the activation push to this category of Activity log, if Metric Alert is activated.(Microsoft.Insights/MetricAlerts)

I understand that each time a supported Azure alert type 'activates', or the conditions are met to generate a notification, a record of the activation is also pushed to this category of the Activity Log.

However,New Metric Alert activation does not recorded to this category of Activity log. (Also Log Analytics Alert is same as New Metric Alert.)

I would like to know when the all kind of alert was activated from Activity log.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve reliability of Usage data

Frequently while I am trying to monitor CPU usage of a VM it will not update the data for a given minute and this leaves wholes in the data

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. alert for all health status changes across multiple subscriptions, resource groups and regions

All maintenance and all services should be alerted on, I want to know when ever Azure are making changes that might affect services I have running regardless of subscription, resource group or region as a single place to receive changes or outages on service that is in use.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Multiple resources in a metric alert scope doesn't work as expected

We've created new Metric Alerts via an ARM template (as documented here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/monitoring-and-diagnostics/monitoring-create-metric-alerts-with-templates and https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/monitor/metricalerts/createorupdate)

If we pass multiple resources in the scopes array, we see three unexpected behaviours:
    1) The alert only fires for the first resource in the array
    2) The Monitor ui on the portal shows no alert definitions, unless you enable the new portal experience.
    3) The new portal experience only shows a single resource being monitored

Retrieving the alert definitions from the REST API shows that the multiple resources in the scope have indeed been successfully stored.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. sms in sweden

Enable the SMS notification to be used globally. My customer in Sweden cannot use this function today since country code isn't available.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. WAD/LAD config policy apply to resource group

Configuring the Windows/Linux diagnostic extensions is quite complicated. It would be great if we had the ability to write a diagnostic policy and be able to apply it to all resources within a Resource Group instead of configuring each individual resource.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Monitor performance of resources (types) grouped by tags and alert

It seems defining metric alerts on resources that are grouped by "tag" is not possible. Please let me know otherwise.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Additional Azure Monitor metric - RAM/Memory resource

Considering there are various CPU, Network and Disk metrics available, could we also have "RAM/Memory % utilization" please?

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Is LogRhythm supported?

On the page, it says;
    Only IBM QRadar, Splunk and SumoLogic are supported for routing the logs to these vendors.

Are you also supporting LogRhythm?

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. E-mail notifications for "Impossible travel to atypical locations" reporting

E-mail notifications for "Impossible travel to atypical locations" reporting. Presently admins need to watch this portal screen all day/night to see if there are new entries. It would be much better to see an e-mail notification about it.

157 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. When enabling guest diagnostics at the virtual machine level via the portal

When enabling guest diagnostics at the virtual machine level via the portal all you can do is click the "big blue" enable button. The portal then generates a random storage account based on the resource group name. This is well and good except we try to keep all our logs/files/blobs for a work group(via keeping all that groups resources in the same resource group) in a single storage account.

I have been enabling then going to the agent tab and changing the storage account from the randomly generated account to the existing account then when said and done going back…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Azure Policy to enforce enabling sending logs to Log Analytics

Give us the ability to automatically send logs for a given resource type to an OMS workspace. I understand there are ways to configure existing resources to send logs to OMS and we can configure this as part of ARM templates. However, many people would prefer if this could be applied as policy, much like tagging. The other ways rely on the users to configure things themselves when they deploy resources or rely on predefined ARM templates which is too constricting.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Bring back the dashboard tiles that can show me the performance tier and number of instances my app service plan is running at.

I have a dashboard with 7 app service plans on it. For each plan, I had 1 tile that showed me the current tier: S1, S2, S3, etc. and 1 tile that show me the instance count; 1 or 5 or 10, etc.

A week or 2 ago, these tiles stopped working and I got a notise that those tiles have been "Retired".

Now it seems that there is no replacement tile to provide the same information.

How can that be. I hope I am wrong.

Please advise.

See this for more info: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9c1c0633-ceff-493f-be9b-f62f8cb279e2/how-can-i-monitore-the-instance-count-of-an-app-service-plan-on-a-dashboard?forum=windowsazurewebsitespreview

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Custom time range for alerts

Allow query in alerts to be evaluated based on custom time range or at-least provide option for last 7 days.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Application Gateway Backend Pool Status not available in logs

Using the Application Gateway we setup logging as discussed in: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/application-gateway-diagnostics/ and that is most useful, however, there is no way to see WHICH backend pools are unhealthy. It only says 2 of 6 or (x of y) not which ones. It would be MOST useful to include that data in the Diagnostic Logs in some fashion. Thanks!

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Diagnostics settings as a separated service

On portal in path: Home > Diagnostics settings there is no option to manage diagnostics settings for related resources, each time after configuring resource and closing blade portal redirects me to dashboard. Same thing in Monitor service. As a user I would like to configure few services by adding these settings, back to the list, configure another one. For now it is impossible.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Create Activity Log Alerts and Action Groups by PowerShell cmdlts

When we want to create Activity Log Alerts and Action Groups, we can only use Azure Portal or Resource Manager templates.
    However, it well be easier if it will be able to create these resources by PowerShell cmdlts.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/monitoring-and-diagnostics/monitoring-activity-log-alerts
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/monitoring-and-diagnostics/monitoring-action-groups

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re definitely looking to add PowerShell support for Activity Log Alerts and Action Groups. Currently, we’re hoping that this will be in the October Azure PowerShell release.

John Kemnetz
    Program Manager, Azure Monitor

18. Stop breaking API's :)

It seems that Azure Monitor REST API for SQL Databases and Storage changed functionality and broke my code 2 days ago. (west europe)

I had a simple REST call that would fetch all 1 minut metrics for a single resource in a single call. New preview api doesn't allow specifying more than a single metric per call which means that my code is now needing to make a call for each metric on each resource. It's probably 10x more REST calls than before.

This worked great with the old API, but 2 days ago it started to return BadOperation.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Change timezone of Azure Diagnostics log file in blob store

When I browse to the log file created by Azure Diagnostics in blob storage, the folder structure is like year/month/day/hour where hour is in UTC format. This causes confusion in my organisation. I'd like to either have the opportunity to set my own timezone for this or the timezone of the app service should be taken.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Copy Alert Rules from one Azure resource to another

It would be really great if there was a way to copy a set of Alert Rules from one Azure resource to another.

Use Case: I made 15 Alert Rules on our Staging db. I want those on the Prod db now. Same thing with our WebApp, CloudService, SQL Server, etc. It takes a really long time to add these manually and you might forget one or type an email in wrong, and then you miss out on important alerts.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Diagnostics and Monitoring

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base