Diagnostics and Monitoring

1. Metrics Monitor missing (for Websites etc.)

It was very easy to see the outgoing traffic (and other metrics) in the old portal (e.g. go to a Website and then go to Monitor).
    In the new portal is seems that only http requests are shown - is this a limitation from the preview? Would like to see other metrics as well.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow accents (and other special caracters), at least on descriptions

For example when creating an alert rule on a web hosting plan, it hurts when we must write in french "Memoire depasse 90 pourcent" instead of "Mémoire dépasse 90 %" (see accents and % caracter).

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. do not loose the usage overview

The existing usage overview (6 horizontal bars, with reset timing) is easy to understand and absorb at a quick glance.
    (a) there is nothing like this in the new version.
    (b) if the 'third' panel (website detail) is off screen when the user selects a different website, there is no indication that the new data is available.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Scaling of Worker Roles according to Service Bus Message Queues -> Regard Message Status (NOT scale up for scheduled messages)

Since i would like to auto scale worker roles according to service bus message bus queue lengths it does not make any sense IMHO to scale up regardless of the status the messages actually have. If there are messages scheduled and not likely to become active for a long time it is not possible at the moment to scale according to queue length that actually matters -> Active Messages.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a good idea. Thanks for raising it. We will take a look at this autoscale support.

Any additional votes?

5. Add a Counter for the Autoscale Instances to the Monitor

Pmease add a Metric for the Autoscale to the Monitor-Tab of the Portal

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make alerts more actionable (e.g. "Open a support ticket")

This was feedback given in the mvp summit session on the current (Old-New) portal.

When I have an alert or something is 'limited' that shows me the red exclamation point I expect to be able to "do something" or "go somewhere for help".

I would love to get "this problem is causing your service to be down - go here to open up a support ticket for that".

I also expect any 'limited' message to be archived so that I can go back to them. Many times I've had 'limited' show up and I send a message to someone about…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Request and errors lense: need ability to navigate to errror description itself

I see the number of HTTP errors, but anywhere I click (including clickable number of errors) I get to the list of requests. There I can see the error request time, but it does not navigate to the error description.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Alert on Auto Scaling

Hi,

I've just enabled the Auto-Scaling feature for one of our Websites.
    However I miss the option to be alerted when the number of assigned instances changes.

Can you please add an alert feature?

thanks!

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Nir Mashkowski responded

We currently put an entry in the Operation Log whenever there is a Success or Failure in autoscaling. We also send an email on the Failure, but not success of autoscale. The reason for this is it would be extremely noisy – we do many thousands of scale actions in a day.

We may potentially add this as an opt-in only feature in the future, but it’s not on the immediate roadmap.

9. Create new azure powershell commands for retrieving virtual machines cpu % , network in , network out

Open portal --> click "Virtual machines" --> select the VM you want to monitor --> click "MONITOR" button on the top panel. Then you can view all performance data like cpu , network in , network out etc in the chart and table. To achieve the same thing I found there are no powershell commands. Please Create powershell commands for the same in the future release.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Custom Diagnostics Appender

Azure should allow diagnostics data to be stored to a location other than Azure Table Storage (which is a **** of a pain to consume it from any useful logging solutions, e.g. splunk, nagios, etc), since there's no easy way to perform tail (or scalable query) on Table Storage.
    Even sqlserver or servicebus topic would be far more useful. But ideally let the developer to write their own diagnostics appender.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  Stephen Siciliano responded

We are working on a way to save diagnostics to blob storage in addition to Table storage. Blobs should be easier for 3rd party tools like splunk to work with.

11. Provide event streaming API on the Diagnostics Monitor

I need more real-time monitoring than currently is possible. The DiagnosticsMonitor should stream the events it captures to an attached listner.
    We can then create a custom listner which registers with the diagnotics monitor for all or some specific events we are interested in.
    we are then, code wise, free to transport that info to the storage container of our choosing.
    It also opens up the possibilities of online service monitoring sites to provide a custom listner which you as a customer can deploy with your app.
    This also has the benefit that you don't have to provide keys to…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  Stephen Siciliano responded

Earlier this year we released the ability to stream logs from Windows Azure Websites. However this capability does not yet exist for other services (such as Cloud Services).

12. Built-in logging for low-level issues

Multiple times I ran into issues where roles would not properly start or where log transfer to Blob storage does not work. This is an absolute time killer because the remedy is trial-and-error, waiting for a forum answer or contacting WAZ support.
    I would expect that Windows Azure provides low-level "bootstrap" log information for troubleshooting right out of the box. Non-inclusive list of things I would want to see is (all based on personal experience):
    -Assembly binding issues, missing assemblies, assembly version mismatches.
    -Misconfigured diagnostic log connection strings
    -Which overridden role methods were called plus any exceptions that might have…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for the feedback, I agree that understanding the issues that are preventing your role from starting would be very useful — I myself have had roles that have failed to start and wanted to know why that was.

13. Better notifications of services that fail to start at deployement

Azure gives notifications in the portal is a Cloud Service cannot be reached by the Host or if the deployment fails. It would be nice to have notification if a service fails to start. Note there maybe failed services starts even if the webrole or worker roll starts. For example, the Windows Time service maybe set to auto start, but it failed to start.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Windows azure diagnostics

Windows Azure should provide an API to directly read WAD log files generated on Local Storage without having to transfer them on Azure storage

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Being able to read the logs locally without waiting for them to be pushed to storage makes sense — it would potentially reduce lag in getting information. I will pass this feedback to the WAD team.

15. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Logging - Abstract the hell out of it and add seamless support for using Enterprise Blocks.

Logging is so important and every application needs it. Most of the microsoft applications written today use Enterprise application blocks. There should be way for us to be NOT worry about logging when we migrate our on-premisis applications to run on Azure.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an interesting suggestion. Do you still consider Enterprise Blocks to be an important way to instrument your applications, given the other options now available?

17. alert run command result

Allow monitoring/alerting based on the results of running a command or script. For example to test if the bind server was setup properly by running a command to test if resources can be resolved by DNS. Or to check if the Trend Micro relay server, which doesn't have an event log entry or a unique service, is working properly by running a command.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. cli

I hope to improve the function of Azure Command-Line Interface (CLI).
    When we get audit logs by Azure CLI, We cannot set conditions on Start-Time or End-Time.
    It's very inconvenience. However, we can do it by Azure PowerShell cmdlet or REST-API.

Azure CLI

C:>azure group log show -h
    help: Retrieves and shows logs for resource group operations
    help:
    help: Usage: group log show [options] [name]
    help:
    help: Options:
    help: -h, --help output usage information
    help: -v, --verbose use verbose output
    help: -vv more verbose with debug output
    help: --json use json output
    help: -n --name <name> the resource group name …

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 6 7 8 10 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Diagnostics and Monitoring

Categories