Scheduler

Azure Scheduler allows you to invoke actions that call HTTP/S endpoints or post messages to a storage queue on any schedule. In Scheduler, you can create jobs that reliably call services either inside or outside of Windows Azure and run those jobs right away, on a regular or irregular schedule, or set them to run at a future date.

If you have any feedback on Azure Scheduler, we’d love to hear it.

1. Customizable timeout to a scheduled job through Azure Portal

Add the ability to customize the timeout interval through the Azure portal.
    This feature is right now only available through API.

121 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    7 comments  ·  Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Kevin Lam responded

Mr. Andersson,
    To be clear, do you mean the retry policy for an HTTP request (which includes the timespan between retries and the number of retry attempts to make)?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Email alert if HTTP/S response status is 4xx or 5xx

Maybe this feature exists already, but I can't see it...

It would be great to be alerted via email if any of my HTTP/S jobs fail.

This could be DNS resolution failure, or a response with a code of 4xx or 5xx.

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Mr. Boot,
    Thank you for your feedback. In the meantime you can create an error action on the job that is configured to send an email via a service like SendGrid or a text message via a service like Twilio.

-Kevin Lam

3. Azure Scheduler support for variables

Having the possibility to use date variables in azure scheduler POST requests would allow us for example to make a REST call to azure table storage like 'delete all records before {DateTime.UtcNow.AddMonths(-1)}'.

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  API & SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It would be helpful to hear which variables would be most useful to everyone by adding them to the comments of this suggestion.

Thanks,
    Kevin

4. Disable wrapping message with StorageQueueMessage XML

We would like an option to prevent the scheduler from wrapping the message with StorageQueueMessage XML. There is no indication in the portal that Azure will alter our message text.

We insert into our queues from the scheduler and our own code. Our messages are JSON strings. It's very inconvenient and inefficient to have to serialize and deserialize multiple times to get/put our message.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  API & SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Information about scheduler task and way to terminate it

For example when you have created your scheduler job and you click run once. You have no idea after that what's going on with the job and if for example you have made a error in your code and it's just looping endlessly you can't terminate and you are required to wait until the timeout.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow call internal endpoint or virtual network address

I think that it could be useful to make http call to internal endpoind of "private" cloud services or vm inside a private azure vnet (not externally visible)

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for making the suggestion.
    This can be done by either opening a port on your VNET, using a Service Bus Relay endpoint, or installing Hybrid Connector.

-Kevin

7. Allow me to create a schedule by specifying a schedule in a crontab format

Crontab is a widely used anc concise scheduling format. There are numerous open source libraries for a variety of languages available for parsing the format already written.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API & SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add option to auto-delete completed one-time jobs

This is more relevant for jobs that post messages to a queue.
    If you think about this scenario, this job is not the "real" job. It only sends a signal to the queue which then has to be processed somewhere else.

In this case, I don't want this single one-time completed job to stay in the collection and account towards my quota. I would like it to be automatically deleted if everything was ok.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Mr. Frostlander,
    Thank you for your feedback, We can look at possibly adding a flag to a job that will automatically delete a successfully completed job.

Regards,
    Kevin

9. Access Job Status Information

Scheduled jobs should expose an object that allows you to query the last run, next run, and schedule for the currently running job. There should also be some indication of whether the job succeeded for failed to allow for error handling logic to be incorporated into the job.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add more configurations for Storage Queue Action Type

We use the scheduler service to start a long running job once a day. We want to set the expiration time to one day so that the service is not running in parallel or twice.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m not exactly clear what you are looking for. Do you mean that you would like the message in the queue to expire (be deleted) if it has not been processed (read) by a certain time?

Thanks for your suggestion,
    Kevin

11. Scheduler Jobs Storage Queue works with Resource Manager

It appears that the "storage queue" action only works with "classic" storage accounts, and not the new "Resource Manager" Storage Accounts. It would be nice if the Scheduler worked with the new Storage Account type.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Scheduler does work with resource manager storage accounts today but the portal currently only lists the classic storage accounts. Until we enable the ability to pick a resource manager storage account in the portal you can do it through the REST API today.

12. Append to job history

If my backend work takes longer than the http request time (asynchronous) or for queue based requests, I would like to have an API to append status to the history of the job to indicate that the actual backend work is completed.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Collection of generic task to be scheduled

There are a lot of generic tasks that we may have to schedule. For instance shutting down/ up some VMs or other resources...

Why not having the choice of selecting in a built-in collection of tasks as an alternative to select an url?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a great idea. Please include a list of the top most generic tasks you would like to see.

14. Improve "programmatic" scheduling scenario

I'll combine multiple ideas for a single scenario.

Currently scheduler is designed towards manual scheduling scenarios. For example, if you are administering certain service and need to schedule something from time to time, it's easy to use it this way.

However, for scenarios where jobs are created as a result of user actions (not admin's actions), current scheduler falls short.

For example, consider a more or less modern website. When a user is registering at the website you need to send a welcome email - that's ok, for this case you don't actually need a scheduler as this is an…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Mr. Frostlander,
    Thank you for sharing your feedback.
    In regards to programmatic ISV scenarios we had designed the job collections with intention of mapping either an ISV user or application representation to a job collection so that the ISV entity can have multiple jobs and they can be managed together. In your scenario you have not created that mapping. If we were to increase the job collection limit for a particular plan what would a reasonable limit be?
    In regards to authentication the Scheduler service has a new REST interface behind the Azure Resource Manager (ARM) which allows you to use OAuth tokens. Would that work for you?

Regards,
    Kevin Lam

15. Version control in Scheduling Services

Currently Version control is not enabled in Scheduler.
    Code checkin and check out and team coding will help

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Today you can save the Scheduler definition as JSON via PowerShell and the API and check that into source control. If there is something that you are looking for in particular in regards to source control would you mind elaborating?

Thanks,
    Kevin

16. Run error config now

Along with "Run now", it would be good to place "Run error config now" for test purpose.

Currently, I make an error (server down) and click "Run now", then wait for several retry counts in order to confirm my error config settings correctly.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow dynamic parameters

The idea is to send with my Http Get request some dynamic parameters like the last time this particular job ran, so I could add to my Uri something like "http://myapi.domain/CallFromScheduler?lasttime=@JobLastRun@".

Others parameters could be added like:
    1) @JobLastRun@: UTC Datetime of last run
    2) @JobStatusLastRun@: Status of last run
    3) @JobNextRun@: UTC Datetime of next run
    4) @JobLastBody@: Body of response of previous run

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Increase max Message Body Size

I would like to be able to send a greater message body for my Jobs.

I think at least 64Kb message body size should be supported so it can be used with the maximum payload size of a storage queue message.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The challenge with upping the limit of the max message size (which is 8K today) is that it increases storage on our backend as we would have to keep those large messages around to be able to send it on each occurrence a job. Referencing a blob is a nice idea for being able to mitigate that. I will add that to our backlog.
    Thanks for your feedback.

-Kevin

19. Add the ability to re-run schedules

Allow scheduler to run something from N-days ago, passing in the N-1 date as appropriate

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Dan,
    I’m not quite sure I fully understand your scenario. Are you asking for us to allow you to take a completed job and change the schedule so that it will start running again on the new schedule? Or are you asking for a job to be run immediately (run now)?

Thanks,
    Kevin

20. Scheduler Error Policy following Recurrence policy logic

On this page (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/scheduler-concepts-terms/) under retryPolicy it says that the default retry policy is 5 times with an interval of 1 minute. This isn't the case; it is 4 times with an interval of 30 seconds. Secondly, when I change it to a custom retry policy with retries every minute, it tells me that this is more often than the 1 hour retry policy allowed by this collection plan (because i'm on the free scheduler)

Every other piece of documentation says that that 1 hour is how often the scheduler can fire a job, and says nothing about…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for calling this out. I have put in a request to update the documentation to correctly indicate the default values.
    The FREE plan uses the min recurrence configuration setting (1 hour) as its lower bound for configuring the retry policy. The documentation will be updated to make this clearer as well.

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Scheduler

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base