Azure portal

The Azure Portal a central place where you can provision, manage and monitor your Azure resources. From the Azure Portal you can create any of the thousands of items within the Azure Marketplace, you can quickly navigate to resources and accomplish your administrative needs, and you can build custom shareable dashboards to provide live insights into your deployed resources.

To gain early access to our latest features please make sure to visit the preview portal.
Preview.portal.azure.com is our early release soon to be in production.

Have any ideas or feature requests? We would love to hear your feedback! Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter to stay up to date on our latest updates @AzurePortal

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create an NSG Tags for Azure IP Addresses on Internet, that will help a great deal.

While creating NSG's Azure Datacenter IP ranges would be nice to be present as NSG Tags, just like 'Internet', 'VirtualNetwork' or 'AzureLoadBalancer' Tags.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Resource management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show VM state in Resource Group listing page

Would be nice to be able to view the resource state right from the resource group listing page so we would not need to enter Vm per Vm to see the state.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Combine RBAC with Azure Resource Policies

Azure Resource Policies are great for limiting resource types and locations etc while RBAC is great at limiting what a user can do however at the moment there is a gap where it isn't possible to only allow specific people to create specific resources such as the published SQL templates at the subscription level. An example of this would be where a multinational company has a US and UK team sharing the same subscription but wish to limit it so that the UK team can only create resources in the UK region. Resource Group control can't be used as the…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Rbac: hide resources that users don't have read permissionsome for

Example: Today if you create a custom permissions role and don't assign a user read to Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines a user is still able to complete the wizard to create a new vm, once the deployment is submitted the deployment returns that the user doesnt have the correct permissions.

It would be preferred that the user can not access the blade to deploy a new vm.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Resource management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve how Azure reports that operations ended

During my work, I have noticed that many operations like updating, stopping or removing VMs are reported as completed before the requested changes have finished being applied. For example, if you remove a VM, the operation is reported as completed although disks need some extra time to be completely detached (and, thus, removed or reused).

That was one example but there are others. All these kinds of I-have-not-actually-finished-doing-the-work situations often break scripts. Manually implementing sleep-and-check code blocks is not a clean and safe option at all, because this is something that the API shoud offer.

Because all of this, we…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  1 comment  ·  Resource management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Have a disable option on a Resource Group Lock

Have the ability to disable the lock, delete and recreate the VNET on the resource group and re-enable the lock without deleting it first.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make Asset Container Blob search case-insensitive

For example, when using GUIDs as the identifiers for blobs, you can't filter/search using an upper-case string i.e. 51D198C1-A412-441D-9A89-F39292699508 cannot find blob 51d198c1-a412-441d-9a89-f39292699508

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Create a "Domain Auditor" role

With the new demands for more and more detailed auditing and compliance verifications, I would like a "Global Auditor" role to be created which would be similar in access to Enterprise or Domain Admins, but Read Only.

As a busy admin, I don't have time to go get screenshots of group after group and chase down nested rabbit holes. I want the auditors to go look for themselves. Go take whatever screenshots you want anywhere you want in the domain. Don't ask me who has little time and frankly, the most incentive to cover something up if something should not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow VM capture to cool storage

The VM capture in the portal should offer (as default) the option to store the captured data in the cheapest storage available (cool / archive)
    Since the backup is typically accessed on disasters (hopefully never) it makes no sense to pay the frequent access tier price for this data.
    I know that actually there is a blob format issue for vhds that use page blobs vs cool storage that use block blob , but I leave this conversion problems to your engineers, as a user what I want is an easy, frictionless service right in the portal, that backups my…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. provide readme.md to each resource overview page

We could forget what the resource is and why it is created.

GitHub provides good detail that it creates default ReadMe.md file to every repository and shows up as a basic description.

It would be good to provide similar functionality into the Overview page.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. What if we can have resource as drag and drop on to a whiteborad and mention the properties and relation with other resources

What if we can have resource dragged and dropped on to a whiteborad and mention the properties and relation with other resources, where by effectively creating a pipeline pictorially. Connections with direction depicting dependencies. Or we could upload our ARM template and have it visualized and when deployed we can see progress of resource getting created by having highlight around resource. Wouldn't that be something :)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Specify active hour for VMs, so they can auto hibernate

I have a few virtual machines in my account that are sparingly used and I know for sure that I only need it during the week days between 9-5. It would be nice if they was a way to configure an active or working hours for these Virtual machine (resource), That way I can manage my resource efficiently.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Standardise the naming standard

When you are trying to have a decent naming standard it would be helpful if we could name WebApps and Storage accounts similarly such as dev-name-type rather than devnametype. I belive this would make the different azure services easier to manage.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. There should be a bulk delete option

We should be able to bulk delete resources even at the resource group level

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Nickname Tiles for Dashboard

It'd be nice to nickname the tiles on the dashboard so I can quickly identify difference between similarly named services. For example: don't always want to look at them by their azure subdomain.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Find resources that are not in use and/or find relationships between resources.

We have a lot of resources in our Azure portal as a result of testing & trials. Now that we are going into production, it is difficult to discern which resources are not being used any more because their virtual machines have been deleted, etc. Would also be nice to be able to select a resource and see "associated resources" from there.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ability to give friendly names to any type of resource

At the moment managing resources is quite messy, because you cannot rename a resource. A good step would be to be able to apply friendly names to resources.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Password Protection to verify container delete

Include an option to "Password Protect" storage containers so that a user must enter the account password to verify the deletion of a container -- this will help prevent accidental deletes.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Option for deletion of related resources at time of deleting a resource

When someone deletes a resource (say a VM) he/she may want to delete all the resources that are being used by this current resource (like NICs, Public IPs, VNETs for the VM). If there is an option like a checklist, listing all the related resources and the user can select which resources to delete along with, it can be a real hassle-free experience for the user.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base