How can the Azure portal be improved?

Add Generate Powershell Script options wherever possible in the Azure Management portal

Like in SQL server Management Studio - you can set up what you want to do and then click a Save as Script or Generate Script button to get the SQL that will do the same thing.

In the Azure Portal, it would be awesome at the end of the "New" wizards to have an option to generate the Powershell commands to do the same thing.

152 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Neil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Russ Freeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think generating the script for something complicated like setting up app gateway / WAF would be very useful. But I would think that once you have the basic code gen fundamentals in place, you could generate the code for any resource.

• Mark Kurley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to script a complete azure resource by select the resource. Some that would be helpfuly
    - Application Gateway - scripts all the resources under the AG.
    - Service Bus - creates all the queues, etc.. under it
    - Scheduler - scripts all the resource under the scheduler

• Michael O'Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like the abilityh to script any thing that makes a change - Save, Delete, Create, etc, have the ability to gernerate the code in POSH, CLI and Rest. If it's only possible in REST, then wrap the REST call in POSH.

I'd also LOVE to see the addition of a "Schedule" button for any type of change as well. Almost like a portal scheduler for one time operations where other scheduling methods are just too much. But that's another thing entirely....

• Matthew Rowan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to setup my resource group with all the required pieces in the UI and then script the lot out so I can easily deploy the whole environment on dev's development azure instances and deployment to other regions.

• Teo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would go a long way towards teaching DevOps. The Exchange team has also implemented this in their product to help teach Exchange admins PS / Automation and it was very successful.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an idea I would love to see become a reality. I would also like to see the option to show individual Powershell commands per task you are doing. For example I wouldn't want to create a whole new VM and hit generate script just to confirm one command. I would just like to add Storage account and click show me the Powershell command to do this.

• Maxwell Bloch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quite a few ideas under review have to do with automation and repeatability. I'd love to see script generation, cloning, and templating!

• shane liu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After doing some complex tasks in the portal, I want to get what I did recorded by script and then get these tasks automated. This would be a favorite feature by many administrators.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In order to automate everything. A utility that extracts a command or PowerShell REST calls from the UI of the Azure portal.
    Ex: create a collection of job scheduling and then extract the REST calls to re-create them in the event of disaster recovery

Feedback and Knowledge Base