How can the Azure portal be improved?

When selecting a location, how to save as DEFAULT.

When creating a new VM, I have to choose my location each time - eg. I choose 'South-East Australia' everytime.

It would be good to have this as a "Portal Setting"

62 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris O'Connor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dennis Jakobsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just tried to move my resource group to EU from the poor default Central US .. i was so happy .. then i realized none of the resources follow .. hilariously pathetic, useless and pointless feature.

• Raju Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For example, I create a new App Function and select an existing Resource Group. The region should default to the region associated with the resource group to avoid confusion.

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe this would make more sense on a subscription level. The portal can handle multiple subscriptions and maybe they differ in location...

• ElementalC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be awesome if we can adjust our default region for resources allocation regardless our linked account region settings or where our subscription is issued.

• Wiltshire Kate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And not just for VMs - I'd like to be able to set the default location for all resources created within our tenant to one region, to prevent anything being created in our tenant outside that specified region (especially as you can't easily change regions once a resource has been created)

• Aidan Finn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - I'm tired of stuff being deployed to Brazil - no offence but it's on the far corner of the Atlantic from North Europe :)

• Ankur Gargi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to be able to work in the Portal against a specific region. It would be good if there is flexibility in terms of filtering based on subscription, region and resource groups. Also MS can think about providing capability to have sub-resource groups within a resource group.

• Gabo Gilabert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good to be able to setup the default region in the portal, I already lost a lot of time creating resources in Northern Europe :(

• Andre de Beer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are certain defaults in the creation journeys like time zones, domain join, create new storage account, network connection etc. It would be nice to configure a different set of defaults for a subscription or resource group

Feedback and Knowledge Base