How can the Azure portal be improved?

Make the portal(s) tabbed browsing friendly

The new portal while shiny and new, and metro, and shiny, can be a bit of a beautiful annoyance at times. My current annoyance is that navigating between two related, but not the same entities is frustrating. In a tabbed browsing approach, this is a single click on the correct tab in my browser. In the new portal, this is a bunch of clicks depending on the level of shared hierarchy. Neither right clicking / middle clicking work to allow me to open a view in a new window. Please consider the target users of this portal (they're going to be power users, not n00bs). I don't know a dev out there that doesn't always have a bunch of tabs open in their browser of choice, because that's the most efficient way to work. Journeys aren't the answer to this, as they still require a navigation action / delay between actions.

The impact of this is that the new portal's behaviour is a regression from the old portal. It's a frustratingly annoying experience, significantly slower to perform similar tasks.

The old portal has elements of this problem throughout in its attempt to be stateful and look and feel like a desktop app. I dislike those elements as well, however it at least gets the tab behaviour correct and doesn't break the web.

117 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

joshka shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have enabled “Open in new tab” and "open in new window’ in our January update (http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2015/01/29/announcing-azure-preview-portal-improvements/)

We working now to enable “update url in the
browser as you navigate” soon – this will complete this, as when you open a blade in a new tab you will also have a url that you can bookmark,

If you have any comments or feedback or want to learn more, feel free to write me directly to lwelicki@microsoft.com

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chris Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of the links in the Azure portal cannot be opened in a new tab by Ctrl+clicking or middle-clicking. This is a travesty.

This makes perfect sense for some links like ones that open additional panes. All other links, it is a UX problem.

Take for example a list page, like the one you would find when you click on Logic Apps. Each of those apps should be able to be opened in a new tab by Ctrl+click or middle-click on the name but they're not.

This example is true all over the portal.

This is a major UX design flaw that drives me nuts every single day.

• Chris Pietschmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So often you are required to open multiple browser tabs to various different services and blades within the Azure Portal at the same time. it would be nice if the Azure Portal supported tabs more natively.

Here's 2 suggestions on how tab support could work:
    - Add ability to open links within the Azure Portal in a new browser tab when desired.
    - Add mutli-tab support to the Azure Portal UI / UX itself so you can have multiple blade views open simultaniously.

The reason for this request:
    When managing production workloads it's often the case where you need to monitor multiple services, and/or make configuration changes in multiple places. It's extremely cumbersome to keep navigating around the Portal between resources, especially when you need to go back and forth between multiple resources.

There are many times when you need to keep, for instance, an App Insights Live View open, while making database queries to an Azure SQL Database, and checking the trigger status of Azure Functions when monitoring and troubleshooting.

• 大城慶明 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AWSコンパネのようにでAzureポータルで右クリックできるようにして欲しい。現状だとウィザードのようで迷子になりやすい

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why Ctrl+Click is blocked?
    Very frequently when I go to the portal it's to see multiple things... side by side.

Just saying.

• Cleve Littlefield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Often I am looking at a resource group, and I want to look at several resources at the same time. But open in new tab is blocked because you override the context menu.. Please allow a way to quickly open new tabs for azure resources!

• das commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the portal doesn't allow browser tab but that's how we work
    show some consideration and don't force feed us your broken UI paradigm

• AdminAzure portal team (Product Manager, Microsoft Azure) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have enabled opening blades in new Tabs and new Windows in our January release (http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2015/01/29/announcing-azure-preview-portal-improvements/). To open in a new tab, do CTRL + Click. New windows, Shift + Click (as with any regular link in a browser)

We are currently finalizing update browser Url as you navigate and full back button support.

Feedback and Knowledge Base