How can the Azure portal be improved?

Refresh button in each blade

Provide a refresh button/option in each blade.
Scenario i found this need: provisioning a SharePoint farm. In the process of Azure assets creation, when i look at the resource group blade, i need to hit F5 to see the process of different VMs, cloud services etc being created.

Not high level priority but can be useful.

123 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

MG Njet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • K.Bhargav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi,
    why cant we introduce a Refresh symbol in a window like
    -minimize, []maximize, X close Buttons like at beside we put Refresh symbol called the Window Refresh i mean it can run refresh the entire tabs in a sequential order for both online and offline
    ex. we opened more tabs in a browser when the internet is slow or disconnected in that time Window Refresh can very useful , it acts as custom and sequential Refresh too

• V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide the refresh option in manage portal, for every thing need to refresh the whole page and it will take long time, At-least provide refresh button in Virtual Machine section

• Noah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I added the same suggestion under the Automation area. This is important for any scenario where changes are happening elsewhere from portal user interaction. Views get invalidated and the user is misled about whether something is working.

• Jeff Bryant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need the ability to fresh at each node level within the Resource Explorer view; as of today I have to restart Resource Explorer and click 4 times to get back to the resource group; I just want to refresh the resource group level to see changes.

• Matt Buckley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When clicking the Refresh button on the Custom Events blade, the blade closes instead of displaying updated data (as a user would expect.)

• Matt McKinstry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When viewing a list of resources in a blade. If you select an item, it opens in its own blade and you choose to delete it. The Refresh button on the parent blade (list) does not update the list of resources correctly to remove the deleted item

• Scott Brickey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I added the same feedback in the Management Portal area.

I often find myself wanting faster feedback than some background auto refresh provides... I'd rather hit F5 and reload the entire page... by refreshing the entire page, i'm wasting internet bandwidth, cpu and IO from the web servers, cpu and IO from the DB servers (identifying which services I have), cpu and IO from EACH service lookup (status/etc).

when instead, a simple "refresh" button would instead use ONLY the CPU/IO to check the single service represented in the blade.

better usability AND a reduction in resource utilization... all for the cost of developing (and testing and minimally localizing) a button that probably just calls code you've already written (someone mentioned that the other portal refreshes in the background every 30-60 seconds)

• Scott Brickey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am aware of previous similar request (http://feedback.azure.com/forums/170029-management-portal/suggestions/3809127-refresh-button-for-azure-web-console-management)

but on several occasions, I want faster feedback... in these cases, i DO refresh the ENTIRE page... a refresh button would be much more direct (since the scope of data being reloaded would be smaller, and presumably faster)

I do this on BOTH/EITHER portal (manage.windowsazure.com and portal.azure.com). Especially when some services / information can only accessed from the one portal or the other.

It's obviously your call... but without such a button, I'm forced to reload everything... more bandwidth, CPU usage, web I/O usage, DB I/O usage, etc.

• Tony Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is especially critical for the first time users. For example I'm going through the amazing tutorial you have (http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-php-how-to-use-blobs/#setup-an-azure-storage-connection) but after my first test, I wanted to see if the script actually created any containers. No way to refresh, I thought it wasn't working. I loaded the old Azure portal and they were all shown.

• Darin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a higher priority for me, so it gets 3 votes. I find myself refreshing the browser dozens of times a day, adding countless clicks to my already overused mouse button finger.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We create web sites dynamically, and it would be nice to have a button that refreshes the web site list, instead of refreshing the browser, or waiting for the list to refresh itself, both options which take time.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I open Azure Sql Databases view. I see some databases. I delete a few. I create new ones outside of the portal (using code). The database view in the portal is now stale. I have to close this page and then go to databases again to see new databases that have been added. Maybe we can cut a few steps here by adding a refresh button on the top or auto refreshing list of databases every few seconds

• idMaxCZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add refresh button for reload context data of view. For example on Virtual Machine Disk library button will refresh list of disks. Currently user must jump to another page and go back for reload data.

Feedback and Knowledge Base