How can the Azure portal be improved?

Ability to move resources from one resource group to another

In regard to Resource Groups, there is a particular feature I feel is missing: the ability of moving one resource from a resource group to another. Basically, the situation is like this: upon the lauch of the new portal, each of my Azure storage accounts and websites I've been using was added into a single Resource Group. Therefore, website A which was consuming data from a storage account with a similar name (A) ended up into two different Resource Groups: Default-Storage-NorthEurope and Default-Web-NorthEurope. Right now, whenever I navigate to the Resource Groups blade I get lots of generic named resource groups which are impossible to manage. What I'd love is to be able to move resources from one Resource Group to another and delete the first resource group completely afterwards.

1,096 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alex Mang shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Folks,

We have made some great progress on this idea and most of our services today do support move resources across groups.

We are still working towards 100% support and while we do that it would be great if you can help us prioritize the missing services.

Please file individual asks on each service category present in uservoice and vote for it.

Thanks,
Azure Portal Team

74 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an excellent idea. Our team is also stuck at poorly managed resource groups. We will vote more specificly on each service category.

• John Wildes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add Recovery Service Vaults to the list of items that can move between resource groups.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"We have made some great progress on this idea and most of our services today do support move resources across groups."

Yes you have and thank you for that!

• thvuong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially the ability to move from Classic to the new Resource group without losing any configuration already in place. For instance, if I wanted to move my "Classic" Virtual Network and "Classic" Virtual machines and storage that depends on the VIrtual Network to move them all as one to the new REsource group model

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add support for managed disk and application gateway, to be moved between resource groups

• Emanuele Rossi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you have any update about Douglas James Boyd' question?
    I tried today the same action (with a simple Windows Server 2012 R2 VM) and the system return the same error message, I'm not able to migrate a Resource Group containing a single VM from a subscription to another.

• h commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

did not work when moving across subscriptions with classic vm, cloud services, classic storage. Had to work with support to make this happen.

• Douglas James Boyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you attempt to move VMs created from a marketplace image (EG SQL Cluster) it fails with this error message: "Resource move is not supported for resources that have plan"

Is this going to be addressed?

• Khaled Hikmat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using PS I can move resources to new resource group....but I cannot change the hosting plan to a plan that exists in the new group. Effectively, my web app is in one resource group while the hosting plan is an another!!

It is enabled on some services but web apps isn't enabled. Where it is implemented sometimes there is a move function and sometimes an edit resource group icon in the Essentials area of the service blade.

I have moved quite a few things today and they all worked (although storage areas take a long time). I really need to move web apps to segregate and restrict access between ops and dev.

I see something has already been put in place under properties of a VM yet the feature did fail on me when I tried it.

• Simon Eastwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still Getting errors and nothing working yet what is the story when will this be fixed

DESCRIPTION
    There was an error moving resources. Code:
    ResourceMoveFailed, Message:
    Resources'/subscriptions/(ID_Removed)/resourceGroups/(VM_NAME)/providers/Microsoft.ClassicCompute/virtualMachines/Cloud service (classic) '
    could not be moved. The tracking Id is 'c51ed486-8d19-4a12-9611-6b28be81d80f'
    STATUS Error
    TIME Wednesday, January 6, 2016, 1:28:18 PM
    CORRELATION IDS clientNotification-c61079eceab94a839158e477c5a24e6b0-XX

• louis.m commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Vote this too

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/8912350-bring-windows-10-universal-apps-to-android-and-ios

Bring Windows 10 Universal Apps to Android and iOS

Create something like what Xamarin is doing in order to help developers to code once and run EVERYWHERE (Wndows 10, windows 10 mobile, android and ios).

If Microsoft could not buy Xamarin, at least do what they are doing by your own. Make something that enable us to archive real NATIVE cross platform development. It could dramatically increase the numbers of developers using .net to create mobile applications as well as increasing the number of apps created to wp too, since app could be compiled to ios, android AND WINDOWS PHONE. Hibrid apps like apache Cordova has a lot of potential but right now it is limited to offer a bad user experience when compared to the native apps you could build native with native objective-c on iOS, java on Android or C# (on Xamarin.Forms o WP and Windows 8). Porting .net to others platforms is good, but go further MS, create something that help us to "code once and run everywhere. And by EVERYWHERE I mean, not just windows, I mean: Native apps on Android, iOS, Windows PC, Windows Mobile, Xbox, HoloLens and to on. Bring us a tool that enable us to make Visual Studio Universal Apps REALLY UNIVERSAL (running as well on android and iOS).

We want a Framework that enable us to build NATIVE.
    By the way Xamarin Starter edition has a very limited package size so is almost impossible to create even small apps with an organised architecture (multi layers) and its licences fees is very expensive too.
    Hey M$ look to the opportunity a tool like Xamarin could bring to the windows ecosystem. It could help you to resolve the app gap Windows Phone suffers so far. With a tool that can help developers to build native applications to windows as well as to android and iOS could bring the apple and android developers interest to use it and since it will be able to compile to windows phone then they will not have why to do not do so. It will also bring mobile developers form other platforms (android and iOS) to Visual Studio and .NET.

• Erik Weiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I attempted to move a Virtual Machine between resource groups and got:

"There was an error moving resources. Code: ResourceMoveNotSupported, Message: Resource move is not supported for resource types 'Microsoft.ClassicNetwork/virtualNetworks'."

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base