How can the Azure portal be improved?

Where is contextual help?

Where is contextual help? In current version of Azure portal there is a very rich contextual help. Please do not remove it.

77 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Raj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All of azure learning portals need constant update, many of the important features are not working and I am stuck.

• Jussi Palo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get lost frequently in Azure Portal and it would be great if there would be someone familiar I could ask for help!

• Chris Pietschmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A personal assistance would be great within the Azure Portal. Perhaps, clippy should be brought back and added to the Azure Portal to help us manage our cloud resources even easier. Maybe you could also rename Cortana to Clippy and give it a happier more helpful voice and personality as well.

• Niels Cup commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agree: just trying to upgrade my mobile services to app services, what a complete nightmare.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

add AI bot in azure works similar cortana and gives daily report of data usage and money burning. user can as how to reduce costs and ai bot will suggest frameworks and many more suggestions based on satistics.

I have the same problem. Chrome says that it can not retrieve subscriptions, IE or Opera don't say that, and instead just work. I cannot create resource groups when on the portal, and I have a role of "Owner" assigned to me.

Constant click loops. I have to go to google to get around within Azure. Non-descriptive error messages. I am surprised people still buy Microsoft stock. Abandon ship now for anyone who works there. If this is the caliber of work that is the future, the company will fail within the decade

Easy navigable Documentation for Azure components. For example -> I select Browse->Virtual Machine.
        There is no documentation available for me to understand what this does. This help should be context sensitive and provide guidance on the topic

• Marijn Stevens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The overview of resources; and the purpose of them in your organization could be improved. Often its not clear what depend on what, and so an application running on an App Service plan are quite disconnected; instead of tree like nature, the webapp is a child of the app service.

Also the ability to give a general description to services; of what the purpose of them are in the organization, when clicking on a services, would be great so they become a little more self-describing instead of having that somewhere else.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just followed a link from an Azure update email and added a new service to my subscription which I'm excited to start using but I know nothing about it. It would be helpful to have links to introductory and reference docs to help get started right away. yes I can do my own search, but why not point newbies directly to the information you know they will need rather than make them hunt and peck?

Like make it easier to know what to do and how to do it. So people with slower mind capabilities can enjoy the program as much as others do

• JK303 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Create "?" link icon for each section that will show relative help information/settings for current viewing page. Example - If I want to learn about VNET and all of its options - have "?" icon in VNET page that if clicked on - it will open new tab in browser with MS VNET help page.

Think you accomplish faster learning, less confusion with 'old' and 'multiple' related content.

BUT must keep this up-to-date with updates.

• Olie Denyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using the preview portal I find the lack of contextual help or links a little frustrating. Most notably it would be nice if when selecting a service from the list the page provided a summary of what the service does with links to relevant documentation on Technet or video links. I find it a little frustrating to keep searching google (sorry, i meant Bing) when I should be provided with the required links from within the preview portal.

• msheets commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently when you come to the Portal as a new user with no resources, browsing resources is next to useless--you are just met with a wall of empty lists with no information on what any of them do. On each resource management page, contain an 'info' link or a 'description v' button that enables you to--without having to jump somewhere else--quickly expand an information area and see what exactly that resource is for, including a link then with more information. Right now, you're left to just look around and figure it out on your own. No good.

• Piotr Wirski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add links to some documentation pages from all blade level features. For instance: when I go to "Deployment Slots" blade from my Web App, it would be nice to add links to some documentation resources, like 'old' management portal have.

• AdminNick Drouin (Admin, Microsoft Azure) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jonathan,
        For the most part, the azure portal is an HTML5 website on top of the Azure platform. It exposes some, but not all, of the functionality of the underlying sub-systems. Some of those subsystems are considered building blocks: like storage, compute, networking; while others are higher-level Platform-as-a-Service offerings, such as Mobile and Media.
        To explore what each of the features offers, they usually have a start page in their respective sections. These will point you to additional resources for learning and development.
        Also, you can start at:
        http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/
        Then drill down into a particular Feature, Media Services, for example:
        http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/solutions/media/

Regards,
        Nick Drouin
        Sr. Program Manager
        Azure Media Services

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base