How can the Azure portal be improved?

Allow pinned tile configuration to include label customization

Customization options for pinned tiles are limited to size. In order to help create a more task-drive friendly environment, allowing renaming of tiles would be very helpful. For instance rather that have 4 tiles say "Site Settings" for my sites, allow me to label them so I can distinguish them.

93 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Graham Bunce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WTF? Less of the "this would be awesome" by the admins, and more "yes, we think that's a good idea, it's scheduled for release in XX months"

• Zacahry Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a QA resource, I use the run history to track processing through the logic apps. A simple label or something added to the tile showing the logic app being run would be very helpful. Thanks

• James Olsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very frustrating that everything I pin to my dashboard has the exact same icon and title with no way to determine the pin is for without clicking on it and seeing where it takes you. I have to try to remember what each of my pins are for based solely on its location on my dashboard.

I hope now that 2+ years since it has been "under review" that it imminently will move quickly from "working on it" to "completed."

Please?

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It doesn't look like this has been done yet. Is there any reason why Microsoft doesn't implement this? Certainly 4 years since the OP mentioned it is enough time. I'd be happy to write the code for you.

• Sebastian Kämpfer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's the reason that prevents me from really using the portal dashboards to its full extent. Currently the resources have rather long and technical names, thanks to their unique name constraint as well as custom business requirements. Displaying only a cut off portion of this name on a resource tile makes them practically useless for working with them. The ability to specify a custom name on a per-tile basis would be a huge improvement.

• Frederick Level commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when displaying VMs or storages o a dashboard the names are truncated if too long or name may not be meaningfull
    It would help a great deal if I could apply a custom name to the tiles

• Keith Rimington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our admins don't like the dashboard I built them, because so many actions have the same icon and title. If I'm to get user adoption, label customization is a must.

• Ian Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Either this or make the default titles more meaningful. Dashboards only make sense to those who put them together and only then if you remember.

Surprised this has not gotten more votes but maybe its just a case of people not taking the portal seriously and relying on other monitoring tools.

• Laurent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A must have NOW. Same comment we have multiple app services across regions and it is difficult to understand what CPU Percentage past hour means. Need to be able to re-label it to custom value like "AppX CPU last hour North Europe"

• mscommunities commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this so badly. We have 5 app service plans and our portal customizations have a cpu/memory graph and an http queue length graph for each of these on the home page. 10 graphs and they all blur together because the titles are like 'CPU Percentage for the past hour'. I would love to be able to edit these to say 'AppServicePlan1 - CPU past hour' or something.

• Trevor Paesl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I WANT THIS NOW! Would be so helpful. It would also be nice to be able to add labels independent of the pinned tiles too (use to add more context to what is being added to the layout).

• Chris K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Provide context on pinned items, for example my request tile, I don't know what site this is part of from my startboard.

Feedback and Knowledge Base