How can the Azure portal be improved?

move services between subscriptions

I've noticed that many people want this, an easy way to move not only Virtual Machine but also websites, cloud services, SQL Databases between datacenters / subscriptions. I'm looking forward to this feature.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/PennyPinchingVideoMovingAnAzureWebsiteBetweenDataCenters.aspx

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10986539/in-azure-is-it-possible-to-move-an-existing-set-of-hosted-sites-to-another-subs

and others

933 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thiago CustodioThiago Custodio shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Daniel BarronDaniel Barron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want to change the subscription for a Resource Group - that's all. Simple right? Nooooooooooooo! It's only a payment thing! It should be possible!

• ManiMani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wanted to move Machine Learning Workspace from one subscription to another one. I am admin of both subscriptions and both are paid.
        Need help.

• Rickard JonssonRickard Jonsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is possible to move a lot of resources (not all) between subscriptions even when they belong to different directories. Here is how I did it:
        1 - Create a new subscription (only used for the move) with the same AD as the source subscription
        2 - Move the resources you need to move to the new subscription using the Move command in the Portal (easiest way is to move a database server and check to move all related resources as well)
        3 - Go to the old portal manage.windowsazure.com, select the new subscription under Settings and Click on Edit Directory at the bottom
        4- In the Edit directory dialog, change to the same AD which the destination subscription uses (you need to be co-admin on this subscription)
        5 - Wait 5 minutes and log out and log in / set filter to the destination subscription and new subscription (you should see both)
        6 - Move the database and all related resources from the new subscription to the destination subscription (in the same manner as in step 2)
        7 - Go into the old manage portal again and change back the AD of the new subscription to the same AD as the source subscription. Similar to step 3
        8 - Delete the new subscription if it is not needed any longer

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having the same issue. This is so stupid this exists after 2 years of feedback...

• Daniel SmithDaniel Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whilst it's great that some resources can now be moved between subscriptions, there is still a major limitation that you can only move resources between subscriptions within a directory.

As a co-admin of multiple directories, it's very frustrating that I'm not able to transfer to a subscription in any of the other directories I have access to. Please consider lifting this restriction, as it shouldn't be this painful just to move resources about.

• jinijqjjinijqj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is taking forever to implement. Microsoft just wants to bilk as much money as possible.

• Sibeesh VenuSibeesh Venu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks much Thiago Custodio for starting the thread. I am really in a need of this. Looking forward to have this feature. Thank you.

• JavaidJavaid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to have feature to move resource from one subscription to another one. This is the case when company A gives you subscription credits, and when you move to another company B and want to move resources from Company A to B.

• Fabio FernandesFabio Fernandes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that's Azure is becoming more and more available (and known) in Brazil, many people who had "test", "trial" or "special offer" resources would like to move it to organizational accounts, as production environments, and start to pay more money for it. In other words, we want to move from test & evaluation stage to real business stage. We need tools and options to do it without starting everything from scratch...

• CraigosCraigos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. This is my Number One Request. I'm passing on a wordpress/mysql website to a charity to manage and I can't without having to start again. It's sooooo bizarre this wasn't thought of.

• Anton VishnyakovAnton Vishnyakov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would really be nice to have it implemented.

Thiago Custodio shared this idea · March 08, 2014, two years ago. Ohh...

• eusmbjyoeusmbjyo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The best way to mitigate these issues is to treat your infrastructure like cattle not pets.

I know that's not an answer, but from a philosophical pov, if you are deploying all your assets with automation then it doesn't matter if you need to 'migrate' - it's a simple configuration change to your tooling.

Spending hours ^getting there^ vs spending hours migrating to sate a billing issue is going to be more worth it.

(One could likely argue the issue is 'minor' on your end as well, since you can get billing data through the API. And in the case of having to fire someone with the keys, this is why you have data policies in place, routine audits, use AAD, and maintain the keys to the castle.)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to refactor my Subscriptions so that I can accurately report on my billing costs per subscriptions. I have now set up a Subscription per Environment but seem to have no way of moving services between subscriptions.

• Ryan HartzogRyan Hartzog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I retract my earlier complaint. In the new Azure portal I was able to move a database resource to a new subscription.

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely ludicrous that MS have effectively linked the payment method with the technical infrastructure. I have now run into this issue three times and the pathetic response from Microsoft has been that we need to migrate the servers to a new server when all we want to do is change the payment method for those same servers. We are effectively suffering downtime and burning man hours to resolve a minor payment issue.
        This is the equivalent of a mortgage company saying "Yes sir you can change your mortgage but we'd just like you to move out of your house and then back in again before we can change it for you." Come on Microsoft get your act together.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this? If I have developed something using a dev/test subscription what is the process for moving this to a paid subscription? I would have thought making this easy would be in Microsoft's interest!
        If I have to start over again maybe I'll do it on AWS instead!

• John A. GwinnerJohn A. Gwinner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is absurd that a Fortune 500 company is now totally my *******, Mwhahahahaha.

But seriously, this is ESSENTIAL. If a person leaves a company, their Azure services could be tied to the person that has departed - if the account is deleted or ignored (or corporate card disabled), suddenly the services disappear? This is silly.

Marketplace subscriptions NEED to be transferable to other owners, the same as anything else.

My old company even offered to take over my account. The problem is, that's tied to my outlook.com email, which is not acceptable. Sure, I can change email addresses (and did), but I need to be able to migrate over the marketplace purchases.

THIS IS A VITAL FEATURE.

I'm specifically concerned about the MySQL services, but really, all of these need to be moved, and ASAP, OR someone should do the move on the back end.

We opened up 2 support tickets, and got conflicting results and an admonishment or two by support. This is also unacceptable.

If I fired an employee, I would not want them to suddenly have my company by the short hairs, and that is exactly the situation you have created. This needs to be fixed.

== John ==

• Ben KirkhamBen Kirkham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I purchased the MS Action Pack and hoped that I could apply to our existing sub. Then realised this was not possible. Fair enough I though then looked how I could move the machines. We are waiting for this update.

• Daniel KennedyDaniel Kennedy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any new on this?, please... AT LEAST, in the meanwhile, DEDICATE a bunch of PowerShell programmers to do it seamlessly using an official MSFT PowerShell script!!!. It is an incredible lack of common sense to wait "until it will be available". Really disappointing that MSFT is still delaying this feature.

• Ivan IgnatievIvan Ignatiev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be amazing if I could develop a small solution on my own MSDN-subscription and then easily tranfer it to a client subscription after succesful demonstration.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base