How can the Azure portal be improved?

Allow for comments or notes on resources

A text description on resources/things would be great for keeping track of what each resource/thing is.

399 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rob Chartier shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Peyton McManus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently using 'tags' and they are way too limited. I find the housekeeping aspects of Azure (for instance: what is old, what is critical, what is prod, what is just test, etc..) to be really difficult. There must be a good solution that we are missing - since we have resource groups, resources, and lots of items that are incurring costs and almost no way to track a history of those items, comments on those items, or a change log.

• Alex Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great Idea. Can't belive this wish has been around since 2015 and has not been implemented. Looks like someone needs to start a petition!

• Steve Cole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This simple feature would be a massive help in keeping track of resources and managing them. Very much needed.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a fantastic idea. Please implement. Especially useful for service testing instances.

• Eugen Daroczy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The purpose of this Description field will be for the creator to share some thoughts on what is the purpose, who is the owner and the intended life span of the Service Instance that is being created.

That information would help tremendously when the time comes to remove old & unused service resources, as usually there is way too little information in the Service Instance's name to figure out if it is safe to remove or not.

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has this been added yet? If so, I'm not seeing it. Seems like something so simple to add a free form description field to the vm's.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this! Also really useful for tracking ownership in a test/dev subscription with a lot of resources that need to be cleaned up by the owners (but never do).

• Mirko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking forward for this feature. Until that > Tags >Name=description:Value=value;value;value...

• Michael McCoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this Microsoft ? This is essential as the number of resources and resource groups grows it becomes very difficult to track. My organization has guidelines for naming resources to give them meaning but this together with the microsoft constraints on resource naming mean that it becomes difficult to differentiate between similarly named resoruces.

The ability to add notes or comments to the overview of a resource would allow recording of basic information that would save on emails, skyping and searching to see what a resource's purpose was and if it was still relevant.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely we need small free text box on VM dashboard for example, where we can put some VM description or note. However, when sometimes new members browsing through systems, it becomes hard to identify which VM is for which. It would be great for Azure portal to allow such functionality to add descriptions to VMs within the same subscription. For further more details click here http://mindmajix.com/microsoft-azure-training

• John Lelempsis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In hindsight, it's probably effective enough restoring a VM from a selected recovery point and capturing an image of the resulting VM...

• John Lelempsis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if a custom name or description/notes (perhaps as an additional field/column) can be added to the restore list. This will help identify details of past restore points. See example image attached.

I use these restore points to create new VMs (at specific points in time). Perhaps I'm approaching this in the wrong way. My only hesitation of capturing an image (in the classic portal - which I've never done) is the fact the originating VM gets deleted. Deleting the original VM is something I'd like to avoid as it create disruption.

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure REALLY needs this. Managing resources in the new portal is a nightmare, at least being able to attach a comment per resource would help. Tags are NOT equivalent!

• Shaun Wilde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A note so you can describe the set up of the resource group is more useful than tags - people may not always get it but those that do it would be a winner.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base