How can the Azure portal be improved?

Create custom tiles

Now we have the option to create custom dashboards with tiles organized by related resources or team, Allowing us to create CustomTiles to customize our dashboards will improve the dashboard experience.

Our application use some administration pages to monitor application internal events like:
Customer Registration, Customers Online, Notifications, etc.

If we could provide a json file or fill a form with all configurations needed to render the tile like:
Type: Standard(icon and name), Chart(donnut, bar, etc)
Tile Title
Icon: Icon Url
DataSource: Url that return a series of data to fill a Chart or for example the number of connected users
ActionOnClick: Open a specific blade, Open Url, Trigger a Job, Execute XYZ command against a resource(Restart VM, ScaleUp)
Backgroud-color: with conditional colors based on sourcedata (Ex: LoggedUsers > 1000 ? Red : White)
Size(how many slots to fill)

This would allow us to create awesome dashboards and discard any third options needed to monitor our applications.

28 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Diego shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Graham Bunce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not at all sure what value the markdown title has. Every example I've seen is "add some upcoming events to your dashboard"... woop-de-woo... how pointless is that?

If we want to build something like Hystrix, with more appropriate advanced monitoring directly in our dashboard alongside the Azure titles, how do we do that?

Looks like we can't.

A basic title that renders HTML and that you can either force refresh (polling) or enable a webhook that needs to be called to update the tile would be an acceptable solution.

• Robert Caretta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want this as well. The markdown tile is nice, but it's too big. I would like to be able to create custom 1x1 tiles with just a short title, icon, and URL.

• Jeroen Ritmeijer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The markdown one is a good start, but it doesn't allow auto refresh to update the information in the tile. Something that would allow basic HTML and a bit of JavaScript to be added would be great. This can then query our external data source and display up to date information.

• Andy Mehalick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this is a great idea and would use it mostly to execute commands. For example to be able to one-click swap deployment slots. Would be great also if the commands could be posting to an internal or external endpoint, running PowerShell, invoking an Azure CLI command, etc. I see a lot of potential here.

Feedback and Knowledge Base