How can the Azure portal be improved?

Improve Portal Performance

The Azure Portal performance is horribly slow! The blades take too much time to load and keep moving back and forward while loading. Switching from one "Blade Flow" to another take about half a minute of loading time.

I know there is already an issue similar to this in this User Voice, however someone from Microsoft marked the task as Completed. Clearly this is not completed or fixed. Our whole company is adopting Microsoft Azure and this is the number one complaint that I have. I can also help replicate it if need be, but I am sure it is very easily replicable. You can even see Russinovich webcast and feel how laggy the portal is: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/azure-stack/webcast/

147 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Christopher Demicoli shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey,

This is something we’re still actively working on. It has a been a big area of investment and it still is moving forward. We keep investing in performance, both from a client and server side perspective.

We have a few things coming in the near future which should help address some of the initial UI performance issues. We’re also heavily engaged with all of our partners driving a broad effort to improve performance across the portal for all experiences.

If you have any specific areas which are causing pain please feel free to reach out to me or comment and state if we can contact you, it would be great to understand the common pain points.

Cheers,
Sean.

35 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kåre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All to often I experience serious performance issues when managing Azure resources. The performance issues are not only related to the portal. Even Azure CLI operations are a lot slower that what should be expected. I experience the same performance issues on multiple tenants in different locations. I don't know if it is related to an undersized core infrastructure or if it is simply related to innefficient code and architecture. In any case it should be a top priority to improve on the performance!

• Matthew Blessing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new VM size selection blade has been extremely slow since it was changed to the list view. You cannot filter until it loads fully, which is very frustrating when you know you need 4 cores or a specific series of VMs. This is in Edge browser Microsoft Edge 41.16299.248.0 on Windows 10.0.16299

• Sebastiaan Meijerink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really bad perfomance;

I get errors like these in the console;

ekwsk7u9zHr-.js:5 [fx] 4:44:15 PM MsPortalFx.Base.Diagnostics.ErrorReporter 1 MsPortalFx.Base.Diagnostics.ErrorReporter: code: ETIMEDOUT
    message: requestAnimationFrameQ timout after 5 seconds: callback:function(n){var t;return r.pageNavigator?t=r._updatePageViewport(n):r.demandLoadNavigator&&(t=r._updateDemandLoadViewport(n)),t&&(t=t.catchError(d,(function(){}))),t}
    stack: Error: requestAnimationFrameQ timout after 5 seconds: callback:function(n){var t;return r.pageNavigator?t=r._updatePageViewport(n):r.demandLoadNavigator&&(t=r._updateDemandLoadViewport(n)),t&&(t=t.catchError(d,(function(){}))),t}
    at https://portal.azure.com/Content/Dynamic/AqrjeMdkBoDV.js:27:12919

• Juan C. Andreu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Portal is really slow. WIthout cache it takes 1 minute to load all my dashboard and with cache about 25 secs.

Need to improve on this. I checked network and it´s doing lots of requests. hundreds.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Last time this issue was raised, you have made amends. Good.... But Have you checked where the bottleneck is? It is still slow... :-(

• Meister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have close to the portal, as I see, but it is very-very slow,

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert portal.azure.com

Tracing route to onecloudshell-prod-am-02.cloudapp.net [168.63.16.185]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.236.1
    2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.100.224.30
    3 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 195.56.119.17
    4 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 195.56.20.206
    5 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 193.85.195.170
    6 38 ms 38 ms 49 ms ams-ix-1.microsoft.com [80.249.209.20]
    7 40 ms 39 ms 39 ms be-72-0.ibr02.ams.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.9.146]
    8 38 ms 38 ms 38 ms ae73-0.am3-96c-1b.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.5.3]
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.

It takes almost 10 seconds to swithc from one AppInsight Error to another. But same slow the all portal.
    I am from Hungary. We have dedicated 10Gbps internet connection.

• Ian Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The poor performance of the portal is not a good advertisement for Azure's ability to scale. Loading a dashboard with 10 tiles takes a full 30 seconds. Today, the Team Services blade is not loading at all.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had to use azure portal for an old application.... After migrating to aws a few years ago, I am reminded again why I migrated. The portal is not any faster.. Did they not spend any money on hardware upgrade in the past few years?

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make the portal functional. Making the portal faster is not an enhancement, it is not a bug, it is an incomplete project.

I have been attempting to create a new database for over 6 hours. I am not able to provision one due to the pricing tier refusing to load. I have tried multiple times. I have let the screen attempt to load for hours. It does not work.

What makes this issue even worse are the nonchalant responses: "We continue to invest in performance as a priority for the portal."

What is that? That is not a response.

Microsoft clearly does not invest in performance since this has been an on-going issue for years. What is Microsoft doing to improve performance? Why has it not been fixed? Why does Microsoft only seem to invest in shinny flashy useless UI features that make getting work done harder? Microsoft has claimed to have fixed it multiple times and closed down these complaints as "Complete". It is not complete.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Portal is unusable. Nothing will load for me. How am I to manage my projects if I cannot even load preference screens. This is likely a deal breaker. A dull looking functional version is much preferred.

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The portal is unusable most of the time. It's gotten worse over the past three weeks. I'm an Azure developer and the poor performance is affecting our development cycles. To make matters worse, I cannot rely on the portal to get through a simple customer demo!

This is an egregious problem, Azure team. PLEASE response to tell us you understand the severity of the issue. A perfunctory reply of, "we continue to work on performance" sounds like a brush off and you don't really believe us!

• Christos Karras commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue must be reopened:
    https://feedback.azure.com/forums/223579-azure-portal/suggestions/8399133-the-portal-is-really-slow-make-it-faster#{toggle_previous_statuses}

The portal is still too slow, I can't get any work done in a reasonable time. Browsing resources takes forever (MINUTES between clicks)

I tested with different browsers, computers and locations (different ISPs)

Seriously why is the portal so slow? It takes ages to load and then keeps crashing forcing me to do full page refreshes in order to get it working again. I really want to use Azure but you cant even make your own portal fast? doesn't look good for our apps. I am seriously considering swapping to Amazon because of this is anything being done?

Thanks,
    Austin

Why has it not been fixed? When you have LOTS of customers complaining about a slow portal, then it probably should be fixed SOON.

There are commends from 2015 and prior complaining about how slow it is, and now it is 2016, and still nothing... Seems like typical Microsoft.

Not only is it slow, there are some major memory leak issues.

Within minutes of opening the portal, it climbs to 12 GB. That's in Gigabytes of memory!!!!

Really?

• Vadim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Automation account blade keeps spinning. I've been waiting about 10 min and yet to see any jobs/schedules.

• Simon Eastwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make the portal faster and more responsive
    it takes on average 195 Seconds from logging on to refresh the status of 175 Azure VM's in the portal
    I can refresh the same number of VM's in my on premise estate in only 20 seconds why is there such a difference

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base