How can the Azure portal be improved?

Document URLs necessary to configure corporate firewalls

Some companies block access to websites using their firewall and need to white-list specific URLs in order for the portal to work. Common errors that indicate firewall configuration issues include:

"Some subscriptions couldn't be retrieved"

26 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminAzure portal team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminAzure portal team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

The portal uses cross-origin resource sharing (CORS) to communicate to back-end services directly from the browser. We are working with our partner teams to get a full list of URLs required to manage your resources in the portal. Here are a few known URLs:

*.azure.com
    *.azure.net
    *.windows.net
    *.azurecomcdn.net
    *.azureedge.net
    *.msecnd.net
    login.microsoftonline.com
    login.live.com

Third-party services:

*.sendgrid.com
    *.newrelic.com

Please let us know if we missed any.

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Linda Chapman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would go even further, that I have 3 customers that their required firewalls do not allow *.anything, they can only enter full URLs or IPs. Not all products support wildcards.

• HUMBERTO DEL CASTILLO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a firewall issue, I used fiddler to find out which one of the calls was failing and I found that the following call was being blocked at our firewall:

https://management.azure.com/api/invoke

They made the change in the firewall and it works now.

I think if microsoft is using cross-site scripting at the azure portal they should publish the list of domains that have to be opened at the firewall in order to make it work.

• HUMBERTO DEL CASTILLO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It happens to me and I don't think it is the firewall, it is intermittent.
        I opened support ticket (#115111113363550) and they mentioned some outages could be the cause, but this is very annoying and a show stopper, specially for features like the resource groups that are only available at the new portal and not at the old one.

• Rune Petersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When signing on to portal.azure.com from our corporate network/PC's we keep getting a notification that : "Some subscriptions couldn't be retrieved. Try again later..". This is followed by a notification that our session has expired. (Attached screenshots).

We have no problem logging on to the old portal.

Can this be a network/firewall issue?

• Eric Swanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sign-in: I constantly get the "to protect your privacy please sign-in again" message. Maybe because of firewall?

• Matt Allison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The prior Azure portal had relatively few URLs (I think all manage.windowsazure.com actually) for the underlying .js and other components of the site.

The new portal pulls content from seemingly everywhere - each blade/component using different URLs including content from CDNs.

This broad array of sources does not work in our environment (proxy/firewall/policy issues) and the result is that the portal is completely unstable and can't be relied on for anything.

The request is to ensure that all components used by the new portal are under a consistent URL scheme and IP address range.

Feedback and Knowledge Base