How can the Azure portal be improved?

Do more in place and use the full screen - avoid horizontal scrolling

Simplify the portal by doing more in place. The horizontal scrolling seems to cause too many, unnecessary clicks, which makes the UI to jump around a lot and quickly becomes overwhelming with so much on the screen at once. It's hard to focus on what's most important and, when there's only one blade, half the screen is empty with critical messages all the way on the other side. Make better use of screen real estate and stop moving things around so much. It's distracting. I love the portal, but all the movement gets in the way. Let us focus on one task at a time and let that use the full screen.

701 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

115 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BTW: If this goes live, it could be a reason to stop using azure for me.

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Working with the new Portal for some hours now. Result: I hate it, Feel like i wish to burn something.

Usability: Poor. Who ever invented this creapy horizontal whatever Scrolling should be fired.

Overview: Even more poor. I dont find anything where i expect it to be.

Function: Every third button i click dows results in an error or does nothing

So please: CTRL+A+DEL in your AzurePortal.sln

• Tim Lovell-Smith MSFT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting... If I want focus like this, I know I can almost get it by pinning the part to the startboard, and restarting my journey from the pinned part. However a) it's an awkward set of actions, plus it pins something I don't really want pinned b) there's no readily available concept of 'back' and I think that is something I would really like out of this experience c) the portal desktop is still there on the left, and scrollbars are still there on the bottom, providing distraction d) The blade won't necessarily do a good job of going fullscreen.

• MakerOfThings77 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scrolling horizontally is not intuitive or natural for me. Azure is the only system I manage that requires this. It's the only one I've heard of that does.

I use a trackpad on a Mac Retina to manage azure. Scrolling horizontally requires me to move my hand physically off the keyboard, and find the things I'm looking for.

Vertical scrolling requires me to hit the spacebar, and I generally have a finger near it so it's minimal effort.

Designers *should not* require the mouse scroll wheel. Heck, Mac users don;t even have a right click let alone a scroll.

• C.G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as I can remember, that has always been a painful problem with Microsoft products..
    Blades, modal dialog boxes and so on are always dramaticaly small sized.
    Wake up guys, it is painful for all of us...
    It's completely incompréhensible for a 2014 html 5 website.

Please, make it auto-sizeable au manualy resizeable.

Regards,
    C.G.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let's put it this way, existing interface...Intuitive. This one, hardly. You get lost and continually creating new panes/screens to the right of the one you are working with creates a football field size screen layout. Then to get back to where you started, you easily get lost. As an example, tried to utilize a new preview feature called Azure Files, took us DAYS to figure out via the new UI how to do that and we got numerous different answers from different Microsoft people on blog forums where to find it. Shouldn't take days to add a preview addition to our subscription and forcing us to use the new portal to do so wasn't helpful. Does that help?

• Andy Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm afraid I think you really do need to do something about the horizontal scrolling in the portal; this alone puts me off using it, and makes it less usable than the old one. Not addressing this is a mistake.

I'm using a 1280px wide screen (which isn't exactly small), yet I'm always presented with both horizontal and vertical scroll bar, for different sections of the screen. It makes the function of the scroll button on my mouse complete ambiguous. Will I go sideways, or up and down?

I understand that this issue has been declined, but merely saying that "It's fundamental to the design" is a cop-out; your customers are telling you that they don't like this, and therefore it is a design error.

I shall avoid the new portal for now.

• Karsten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some points that underline the disadvantages of horizontal scrolling:

1. Less intuitive: Horizontal attention leans left. The new portal places newly appearing sections mostly to the right.

2. Less predictable: The mousewheel is expected to scroll a page vertically or (with Control key) zoom in and out. The new portal adds horizontal scrolling making it sometimes impossible for the user to predict the scrolling direction. Which way will it scroll when mouse pointer is over a section header and both (h/v) scrollbars are visible? Is that really predictable?

3. Less consistent: Page Up and Page Down keys affect only the active section. They scroll only vertically. Whereas mousewheel is scrolling whatever is under the mouse pointer. This is contrary to the expected behavior where both are affecting the same section in the same direction.

4. Not mobile-friendly: Not even the start page can be viewed on a 640px wide screen without horizontal scrolling. Responsive design eliminates horizontal scrolling completely so that users always see the full width content. That is now considered standard by many.

• Matt Allison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can understand that a change would be significant at this point. I have managed to have some success using the mouse scroll wheel with the horizontal scrolling but it's annoying (move mouse pointer to the proper part of the screen, scroll, then do it again if I need to scroll vertically).

However, the horizontal scrolling combined with a lack of "open in new tab|window" functionality is difficult to use.

• Eugene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be extremely helpful with “wizard” experience where I found myself lost at some point. I wasn’t even sure if I was still creating a test or I was already looking at what I had created. But even with regular browsing, for instance, when I click on my website tile in the dashboard open it in a full screen. When I click on Properties or Pricing after that also open them in the full screen instead of tiny blade on the right. That will allow me to focus on the task I need to complete. It should also enable Back button so I can go back to the previous state instead of searching around the portal trying to find a state I was in before.

• Matt Allison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to repeat a comment somebody made in a previous suggestion: try and work with the portal on a non touch-screen laptop with a 720p display using only a keyboard and touchpad.

• Eugene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me choose between endless scrolling to the right and drill-down. Sometimes I need context but sometimes I value focus more. Having portal always “drilling to the right” provides me a lot of context but sacrifices on focus. I found myself at times being overwhelmed with a lot of information on the screen. If would be great to have an option where I can change portal behavior so blade replaces current view instead of being added it to the right. That way I can work in more traditional matter if I choose to do so.

• Dave Ahlers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Horizontal and vertical scrolling is always a bad idea in UX design. Eliminate one or the other, preferably the horizontal scrolling. As it stands now, I'm constantly guessing whether I should bother to scroll right to see that last column of icons. Almost all new websites are implemented using responsive design, which sizes the width of the content to fit the device viewport, and rearranges the panels as a viewport is reduced in width.

• ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make the site more responsive to different resolutions / window changes ... currently it looks great on large touch based monitors but doesn't work on low(er) resolutions found on enterprise laptops

I'm using 1366 X 768 and find my scrolling around, a lot.

1 2 3 4 6 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base