How can the Azure portal be improved?

Do more in place and use the full screen - avoid horizontal scrolling

Simplify the portal by doing more in place. The horizontal scrolling seems to cause too many, unnecessary clicks, which makes the UI to jump around a lot and quickly becomes overwhelming with so much on the screen at once. It's hard to focus on what's most important and, when there's only one blade, half the screen is empty with critical messages all the way on the other side. Make better use of screen real estate and stop moving things around so much. It's distracting. I love the portal, but all the movement gets in the way. Let us focus on one task at a time and let that use the full screen.

701 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

115 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jim Mazzeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find the blade system cumbersome and not user-friendly to navigate. Just my thought, but the legacy portal was much simpler look and feel wise. Continuously scrolling east and west on a non-tablet device just is not natural. Thank you.

• Mike Gilkey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure team. Please look at VMware's user interface in vSphere 6. This should help you understand the issue better. Once you use VMware, you will understand how much you need the UI improved.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When attempting to scroll vertically in various screens on a touchpad, the portal's simultaneous horizontal scrolling is annoying. Please find some way to reduce this issue.

To me it is as if the portal wasn't designed in a way to make the user's life any easier than the old one.

In a cool new world, I'd like to be able to snap together visual components: a load balancer here, snap 4 workers beneath it, an option to spawn new ones up to qty 50... see where I'm going? Later on, snap a geographical distribution component above this all so my European clients get serviced by the european datacenter... Make visual sense out of this mess: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=windows+azure+diagram&go=Submit&qs=n&form=QBLH&scope=images&pq=windows+azure+diagram

I'd also like to be able to record a representation of data flowing in my infrastrastructure diagram when servicing a request. Let me visualize the inter-component interactions as a request from a particular IP is made to my WCF service. Not working? Firewall component turns red. Tooltip says port 808 not open, would you like to open it, confirm/cancel/etc. Resubmit request. On the diagram, I see things happening down to a SQL Server instance that turns red. Zoom in... SQL Server instance component turns green, but I now see database components within the instance, one of which is red. At this point I already know the login is OK since I'm at the database level. As expected, the database component's tooltip says something about a missing privilege for the user... etc.

Hi Microsoft,

I started using Azure. Please don't change the interface at admin portal so that developers can get familiar with the functionality. I experienced in Office 365 that you silently change the interface which causes a very frustrating and troublesome navigation problem; and this leads to the reduction in user adoption.

Just my personal feedback.

Thanks.

• Zainab Kinkhabwala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In blades, instead of having to scroll indefinitely, the paged way helps better, with each page having a limited count of items.

That way one knows the count of items as well.
    In the new portal, one just has to keep scrolling till the end, not knowing how many more items exist currently.

The old portal on the other hand has 25 items per page and it's convenient to sort the columns and then quickly go to one of the pages based on sorted field when looking for a particular item.

• Harish Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is very much scrolling. If I am not on big screen, I need to scroll a lot.
    Yes home page is much better but Textual representation is more understandable then unwanted image squares.

My idea is making it hybrid then Exactly New.

• wizlb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be completely honest with you - I'm not an Azure user yet and I didn't plan to spend 20 minutes writing this feedback for you. I was just I exploring Azure as an alternative to AWS and so, I was playing around with a website project and learning about Azure when I clicked on the action to add a Redis cache so that I could read about it.

That's when I was taken to the new portal where the usability was just so bad that I had to write this feedback. It's really that bad. Please go back now and figure out something that is more streamlined like the old portal (because I like the idea of Azure and I like Microsoft's tools, but if everything's going Metro you're honestly just going to drive me right off of the whole platform.)

Now I've spent 40 minutes trying to save one of my favorite tech companies of all time that I could have spent learning about how to actually use the product and I have no more time this week. Good night and I hope your listening to the overwhelming feedback in this general area.

• wizlb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current/old portal is simple, consistent and utilitarian which makes it predictable and easy to use. For example, when I click a website the resulting view immediately shows headers for my chief concerns (Deployments, Monitor, WebJobs, Configure, etc..) at the top of the page. A likely place, because it's the same place that all of the other headers are placed for anything else that I click on in the old portal.

This new portal is way too busy and the navigation is just terrible. I don't need to look at 10 different things at once. I don't need or want a window manager inside of a browser window, I just need a simple fast system to drill down into things without having to think about it.

So here are my specific ideas with regards to navigation:

- The lack of uniformity of the metro tiles makes it difficult to comprehend what is being presented. Just get rid of them, they are useless.
    - Having a window manager inside of a browser window makes everything too busy. If you're monitoring usage I guarantee that you'll find that nobody is going to use it's features because people don't need to look at 10 things at once unless they're monitoring performance which is like 1 activity out of hundreds.
    - Instead of hiding things and making me scroll around or click around to find where they're hidden - put them in predictable places. Like the headers in the current, simple to use and reason about portal.

Basically, please give us something more like the old portal and less like the new portal.

Currently it's not possible to scale the UI. In my opinion this would be great, as i'm often interested in all information that is present. That information is currently just hidden. Especially to distinguish between things e.g disks. It's possible this way too, but still would be something i would appreciate.

There's currently the copy command, which can be a help but i'm really surprised that the 1160px max-width was choosen.

But it's a good product, don't get me wrong!

• Michiel Staessen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really, really DISlike the new UI as well. The horizontal, endlessly looping browsing makes it really hard to manage your services. This interface makes the structure of components/services very unclear.

• UserKG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) Resize of columns in grid on Events blade is also useless because of these limitations.
    2) Additionally, the grid resize should move the other columns to the right instead of eating into the existing columns. Just figured out that you can double-click to make the blade full screen, but this is hard to discover.
    3) There should be a way to attach pictures here in the comments section.
    Please file all three issues.

• UserKG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed this is really frustrating. Not all text has hover, so many things get cut off. And many thing differ only in the part that is cut off, so management of resources becomes dangerous!

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have similar problems with horizontal scrolling. I am using Windows 7 and the newest IE on my laptop with a touchpad. When I click anywhere, it seems to assume I am dragging. It's difficult to do anything because the horizontal scrolling kicks in and gets very confused.

I am not using a tablet or a touchscreen. Why does Microsoft assume everyone is using tablet and touchscreens? The UI for Azure is terrible! My screen is constantly moving horizontally and the mouse seems to think its my finger swiping across the screen.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On my Mac I find it impossible to scroll vertically in a pane without also scrolling horizontally. This makes the design extremely hard to use.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the other comments. The horizontal scrolling experience is terrible and not intuitive. I don't see what advantages journeys & blades bring to the table. It fills up my screen with information that I'm not interested in and is distracting. Is the only benefit to prevent your from need to click back? A dashboard with pinnable shortcuts does seem useful though.

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also hate the new portal. Horizontal scrolling is awful. Too much information everywhere and too many clicks. Microsoft should discontinue the new portal and continue provide the old one.

• Walter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The old portal uses well known designs. It is essentially a tree view with tabbed windows, plus wizards to create new items. We already know how to use those, so the old portal is intuitive. The new portal is something completely new. It doesn't correspond to anything we have used in the past. It looks cool, but takes a lot of time to navigate and requires a lot more clicking. For example, I can create a new IaaS VM from the image library in about two minutes on the old portal. On the new portal it takes more than five minutes and leaves me questioning the options I chose. Another example: on the old portal I can see everything within one or two clicks. On the new portal it takes several, and I'm never sure if I'm seeing everything that exists. Please remember that a cool UI is not necessarily a usable UI. Developers (and I'm one of them) love to innovate cool new things, but sometimes that's bad for users. I think this is one of those cases. Blades don't correspond to anything we already know how to use, and they don't offer an improvement over what we already have.

Feedback and Knowledge Base