How can the Azure portal be improved?

Do more in place and use the full screen - avoid horizontal scrolling

Simplify the portal by doing more in place. The horizontal scrolling seems to cause too many, unnecessary clicks, which makes the UI to jump around a lot and quickly becomes overwhelming with so much on the screen at once. It's hard to focus on what's most important and, when there's only one blade, half the screen is empty with critical messages all the way on the other side. Make better use of screen real estate and stop moving things around so much. It's distracting. I love the portal, but all the movement gets in the way. Let us focus on one task at a time and let that use the full screen.

701 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

115 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the record, I think this issue was earlier named "Please scrap the horizontal layout" and that Microsoft edited both the title and the content of the issue.
    User voice yes, but censored if we don't like it :)

• Vijayaraghavan L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Auto Horizontal Scrolling on the New Portal must stop ASAP. It is so so so annoying to use this portal. STOP NOW!!!!!

• caleb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having a lot of difficulty finding what I have deployed already in the new UI. I can see (some) of what I have, but it it not layed out in any fashion that I am used to clicking through. It seems clunky and obfuscated. For me the groupings on the left don't match what I expect very well, and I ahve no idea how to view all my websites deployed. Also, what's with the two different VMs menus? why?

The new portal is very hard to navigate and find the services i work with.
    Moreover, the azure expected to be used by professionals not kids!! why you force the stupid metro horizontal scrolling!!! and stupid icons.

I completely lost in the new design and I need to learn again.
    I am thinking of shifting back to AWS because of this portal!!!

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely 100% agree with this comment.

I want the old portal back. NOW.

• Manjia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft we need to talk... Tell me, what in the world is making you think that the horizontal scrolling interface is a good idea???

It didn't work in windows 8

It didn't work in myspace

It doesn't even work good in Mac osx's finder!

So really don't understand.. what in the world makes you think it should work in a professional product like Azure???? (or at least in what's supposed to be a professional product)

• Lajos Marton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't have issues with tiles on the new portal, but the horizontal scrolling is a curse. On the other side the whole page is not responsive, I can't work on it with my 1366X768.

• Tim Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After closing the other 'The UI is a mess to navigate' item, this is the only one left asking for a proper tool to work with our Azure services.

Please can you not just bring back the old portal? The one that worked and people understood. Is it too much to ask that this new very experimental UI can be given up as an interesting but horribly flawed mistake?

I agree with Nathan Smith--the new design is atrocious. They should torpedo it and move back to the original portal. Leave it to MS to create 'new' software that's 10 years behind everyone else. And they wonder why nobody wants to use Azure.

• teo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

mate, the site is a mess, can't figure out what you wanted with so many screens, gave up.

• Errol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I despise the new portal, and it appears I can no longer access the old one.
    Who the **** is in charge of this project? Why f**k with things just for the sake of it? I know you need to justify your pay cheque each week but cant you do something productive with your time instead? With Microsoft it's always "One Step Forward, 27 kicks to the head and something is set on fire".

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Know when to stop throwing money after a concept and go back to the drawing board !

• David Browne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lots of things end up with names like BILLING-APP-DATABASE-PROD-VM-02 these long names get cut off in most of the grids.

So update the grid layouts based on the names, and squeeze the other columns to display long names.

• Frans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The old portal works (not great, but you can actually use it) on a mobile device. It is *impossible* to use the new portal on a phone size screen. Hard to explain, but just try it on a phone; the menu on the left "sticks" and something causes the blades to "snap left" so you can't sensibly scroll.

At the moment, when I get a 4am alert that there is a problem, I am able to log in to the old portal while still in bed to restart a server or whatever. With the new portal that is not possible - I *have* to get and get my laptop out, which directly increases the alert-to-back-to-sleep-time.

I do understand that making the complicated portal work fully and properly on small screens is very challenging. But, please, at least make it *possible*, even if it's remains awkward and difficult for the user.

• Dawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you need to make menu elements scalable to the computer screen. otherwise it is impossible to work with it on a small screen

• Christian Buntrock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New Azure Portal experience is really not as good as old classic one. Reason: Hard to get an overview. Things look "scrambled". Portal is slow. Things move to much (after each click, everything is moving to the right or to the left). Really much work needed before turning off old Portal!!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base