How can the Azure portal be improved?

Do more in place and use the full screen - avoid horizontal scrolling

Simplify the portal by doing more in place. The horizontal scrolling seems to cause too many, unnecessary clicks, which makes the UI to jump around a lot and quickly becomes overwhelming with so much on the screen at once. It's hard to focus on what's most important and, when there's only one blade, half the screen is empty with critical messages all the way on the other side. Make better use of screen real estate and stop moving things around so much. It's distracting. I love the portal, but all the movement gets in the way. Let us focus on one task at a time and let that use the full screen.

700 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

115 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chris B. Behrens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is weird. Two and a half years have ticked by with horizontal scrolling, which wouldn't pass any UX hallway test. This smells like Duke Nukem level organizational dysfunction.

• amnesia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almost 3 year have passed since the original post and very little has changed. The UI is still pure garbage. When can we expect a brand new portal that doesn't suck? Seriously guys, this is unreal.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been using Azure on premises backup for over a year. Tonight it took me over thirty minutes to figure out how to setup a new instance because of the unintelligible UI and the horrible horizontal scrolling. I too, would like to smack the person who thinks I want the left menu to close each time I select an option. I do not know who you use for UI testers, it certainly is not a new customer. They would have given up and used AWS.

• Manjia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lol is this **** still in production?
    We switched to Amazon AWS months ago, right after having enough of this ****** interface: the best choice ever made! AWS is not just superior in terms of interface usability but also their services always go smooth as silk (unlike yours), and the setup is very easy! Compared to you they live on another planet! I just came here to make some fat laugh, I knew it was the right place, you really are ridiculous! XD

• Risinglake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here - old console was eons better than the new one. Our whole team agrees - when trying to explain something to a mate, it's like "I don't know where that went, you'll have to click around to find it". Maybe we don't use it enough, maybe we should just use something else - I will tell you it does not make azure accessible or sticky. As a shareholder I am very happy about Azure but this new portal UI is ****. E.g. my current usage and billing amount used to just be at the top of the portal, now I literally cannot find it - the Billing button shows $0 and the happy panels to the right seem to have an errror.. there's a dark cloud with a rain drop - not cool. Kiss = Keep it simple stupid!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be better in term of UX to manage panels classicaly from top to bottom with classic scroll instead of scrolling from right-to-left that doesn't correspond to any normal experience & behaviour in front of an interface by any human... A simple and standard UX is really important, even for developers.

• Nicholas Eden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The horizontal scrolling is a huge usability problem. It is aggravating to have to find the narrow scroll bar at the bottom of the screen every time we would normally use the scroll wheel.

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Soo... wtf is happening here MS?
    Is it going to be like Windows8/Server2012 where you argued for years saying the UI was good before finally silently admitting it was rubbish by reverting it in Win10/Server2016? Meanwhile market share plummets...

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Thanks for the feedback. We’re working on this. We started with the top bar, then added favorites, and continued by shrinking the list of resources after opening the resource blade. Much more is in the works — all based on your feedback. Keep it coming and, in the meantime, we’ll keep working on this to streamline the experience for you."

You started with the "new look" without thinking of what is usable. The horizontal scroll bar has a negative psychological impact (humans scroll vertically when interacting with their environment). This look makes me regret using Azure every time I use it.

• Manjia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alright, after 9 month, more than 600 votes and several thousands complaints nothing have changed, I'm now giving up with the idea that this portal will get any better as well as I'm giving up with azure itself (in favour of Amazon's AWS), I've just got a last question: can you please provide the name(s) of the guy(s) responsible for the portal design? So I can find that douchebag(s) and punch him(them) in the face with all my might? thank you

• Alan K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It jumps to much, from one screen to another. Click subscription and jumps to another portal. Click there manage subscription it jumps back.
    Charges are not very clear, I been charged $97 and $39 less then for one month and I just tried Azure service. Nothing is running, no website, not mobile app and still charged.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

First of all user managment should be more intiative and available so you dont have to Google for it (it shouldnt be 5-6 clicks in obscure menus).

As a beginner with azure the UI is overwhelming, almost so you think you have it that way to sell education/courses.

Overall messty and verry unituative UI.

//
    Not so impressed azure user.

• Vamsi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

portal.azure.com which is blade based user interface, which is so difficult to identify as well as understand which option is present where , so much difficult especially for developers while working with portal azure website. As a developer I felt many times uncomfortable with portal website while working on cloud services, to find scaling option in blade sections when compare with manage azure website.
    As a azure PAAS developer I am requesting Microsoft change UI design.

• Paul Deen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think I must be alone in liking the horizontal scrolling; my screen is much wider than it is deep, so it makes sense to go across. That said, there is an annoying amount of whitespace leftover on some blades.

• Dax1891 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is amazing to see how Microsoft insists with the blades/tiles despite all the history....

• Tigran Hakobyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the new Azure portal is Completely NOT user-friendly, and not designed for desktop, give us ability to use at least previous version, the Horizontal Scroll or Horizontal Oriented dashboard for desktop PC or Notebook is the worst idea that can ever be, it is not a game or funny UI, it is a place for WORK, make it friendly with MOUSE and normal desktop PC

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base