How can the Azure portal be improved?

Reduce the browser memory footprint, and elimnate the memory leaks.

There seem to be some rather significant memory leaks in the Portal Dashboard. I've made the mistake of leaving it running overnight a few times, and the browser process working memory use, with the portal being the only browser tab open is often in excess of 1.5 GB. This is with no tiles open. In a few cases, I could not unlock the computer and had to reach across the network to kill the iexplore.exe process before I could gain local access.

58 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using Azure's Portal on daily basis, keeping the dashboard on one of my monitors constantly.
    After 5 days it takes 3.5GB RAM (Firefox 63.0.3) and working with it is unbearable,very slow.

• Al Baymar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur with previous comments. Chrome 70 goes up to over a gig and keeps spinning a CPU core at 100% after a few minutes of using Azure portal.

Very frustrating, especially when compared to the much more smooth experience with AWS Management Console.

• Joaquin Avellan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is happening to me on Chrome 66, a couple minutes after not touching the windows is starts to use 100% of my CPU.

• Jeroen Ritmeijer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this in Edge as well. It generally runs OK and then after a few minutes of not touching the window at all, it goes to 100% CPU.

I used the Edge developer tools to trace performance and when it goes crazy like this, it spends all its time on 'styling'. Constantly, without any breaks.

Reloading the entire page solves it for a few minutes.

Very annoying as I need to have the dashboard open all the time for monitoring purposes. The CPU FAN on my laptop is always on as a result.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over two years later and I am experiencing exactly the same issue as the original poster. Portal using 1.6gb+ of memory and completely unresponsive this morning. I have to restart it every hour during work time.

• Rich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here, the problem is in Chrome also, kills the PC.

• Kim Pedersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

10-20% CPU usage in Chrome, sometimes peaking at 25% for a second or two on i7-4800MQ, running at it's max turbo speed of about 3.6-3.7 Ghz. About the same in IE, but with even higher peaks.

• Trevor Paesl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really love for this to be fixed ASAP! I keep the portal open at all times to monitor and manage my ever evolving beast of an application (which is deployed in 3 regions). The problem is the Azure portal keeps crashing my browser after a couple of hours. I found that removing more "pins" on the dashboard helped... the fewer the pins, the less often the crash. I've had to remove the nice-to-have pins and kept only the need-to-have pints, which is a bummer because the other pins were quite helpful.

• Richard Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here. Appears especially bad when uploading a new cspkg to a cloud service (classic). When left overnight my machine was bleating about being low on memory - I have 16GB of ram and the portal ate pretty much all of it!

• André Melancia [MCT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the "new" portal, on a "default" dashboard, my browser rose to 1GB (Edge) and in the same day IE to over 500MB.
    Also, it's impossibly slow. It's not just a memory leak, it's really bad programming as well.

• Sychev Igor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The same problem right after I will open blade with Redis. I'ts not depend from how long page was opened.

This problem is not only with IE, also with Chrome, Edge... It's definitely bug.

In my case:
    Edge consumed 1332.9 MB
    Chrome 777.1MB
    IE 733.7 MB

• Mick Huxley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not just IE that causes this problem. I get it Chrome 43, Project Spartan (build 10130) and IE... and have had this issue for months on any number of Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 preview builds.

• Scott Arbeit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm seeing this too, with almost any blade open. If I switch to another tab in IE, the CPU usage of the Azure Portal tab drops. So... yay for figuring out when the portal is the selected tab; and boo for running so much JavaScript that it sucks up double-digit CPU.

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using the new preview Portal IE11 running on Windows 8.1 Shows quite high cpu usage after some time. Up to 30% on an Intel i5-2410M. This should be fixed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base