Azure portal

The Azure Portal a central place where you can provision, manage and monitor your Azure resources. From the Azure Portal you can create any of the thousands of items within the Azure Marketplace, you can quickly navigate to resources and accomplish your administrative needs, and you can build custom shareable dashboards to provide live insights into your deployed resources.

To gain early access to our latest features please make sure to visit the preview portal.
Preview.portal.azure.com is our early release soon to be in production.

Have any ideas or feature requests? We would love to hear your feedback! Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter to stay up to date on our latest updates @AzurePortal

How can the Azure portal be improved?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to move resources from one resource group to another

In regard to Resource Groups, there is a particular feature I feel is missing: the ability of moving one resource from a resource group to another. Basically, the situation is like this: upon the lauch of the new portal, each of my Azure storage accounts and websites I've been using was added into a single Resource Group. Therefore, website A which was consuming data from a storage account with a similar name (A) ended up into two different Resource Groups: Default-Storage-NorthEurope and Default-Web-NorthEurope. Right now, whenever I navigate to the Resource Groups blade I get lots of generic named resource…

1,070 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

73 comments  ·  Resource management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Folks,

We have made some great progress on this idea and most of our services today do support move resources across groups.

We are still working towards 100% support and while we do that it would be great if you can help us prioritize the missing services.

Please file individual asks on each service category present in uservoice and vote for it.

Thanks,
      Azure Portal Team

• move services between subscriptions

I've noticed that many people want this, an easy way to move not only Virtual Machine but also websites, cloud services, SQL Databases between datacenters / subscriptions. I'm looking forward to this feature.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/PennyPinchingVideoMovingAnAzureWebsiteBetweenDataCenters.aspx

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10986539/in-azure-is-it-possible-to-move-an-existing-set-of-hosted-sites-to-another-subs

and others

975 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Resource management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Folks,

We have made some great progress on this idea and most of our services today do support move resources across groups.

We are still working towards 100% support and while we do that it would be great if you can help us prioritize the missing services.

Please file individual asks on each service category present in uservoice and vote for it.

Thanks,
        Azure Portal Team

• Do more in place and use the full screen - avoid horizontal scrolling

Simplify the portal by doing more in place. The horizontal scrolling seems to cause too many, unnecessary clicks, which makes the UI to jump around a lot and quickly becomes overwhelming with so much on the screen at once. It's hard to focus on what's most important and, when there's only one blade, half the screen is empty with critical messages all the way on the other side. Make better use of screen real estate and stop moving things around so much. It's distracting. I love the portal, but all the movement gets in the way. Let us focus on…

690 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

114 comments  ·  Search + navigation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’re working on this. We started with the top bar, then added favorites, and continued by shrinking the list of resources after opening the resource blade. Much more is in the works — all based on your feedback. Keep it coming and, in the meantime, we’ll keep working on this to streamline the experience for you.

• Choose default directory

If you have several azture accounts with admin rights assigned to you, it would be great if you could set a Default account and subscription that is set when logging in.

534 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

113 comments  ·  Search + navigation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add Generate Powershell Script options wherever possible in the Azure Management portal

Like in SQL server Management Studio - you can set up what you want to do and then click a Save as Script or Generate Script button to get the SQL that will do the same thing.

In the Azure Portal, it would be awesome at the end of the "New" wizards to have an option to generate the Powershell commands to do the same thing.

144 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Resource management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Improve Portal Performance

The Azure Portal performance is horribly slow! The blades take too much time to load and keep moving back and forward while loading. Switching from one "Blade Flow" to another take about half a minute of loading time.

I know there is already an issue similar to this in this User Voice, however someone from Microsoft marked the task as Completed. Clearly this is not completed or fixed. Our whole company is adopting Microsoft Azure and this is the number one complaint that I have. I can also help replicate it if need be, but I am sure it is…

129 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey,

This is something we’re still actively working on. It has a been a big area of investment and it still is moving forward. We keep investing in performance, both from a client and server side perspective.

We have a few things coming in the near future which should help address some of the initial UI performance issues. We’re also heavily engaged with all of our partners driving a broad effort to improve performance across the portal for all experiences.

If you have any specific areas which are causing pain please feel free to reach out to me or comment and state if we can contact you, it would be great to understand the common pain points.

Cheers,
                Sean.

• Document URLs necessary to configure corporate firewalls

Some companies block access to websites using their firewall and need to white-list specific URLs in order for the portal to work. Common errors that indicate firewall configuration issues include:

"Some subscriptions couldn't be retrieved"

42 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Resource management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The portal uses cross-origin resource sharing (CORS) to communicate to back-end services directly from the browser. We are working with our partner teams to get a full list of URLs required to manage your resources in the portal. Here are a few known URLs:

*.azure.com
                  *.azure.net
                  *.windows.net
                  *.azurecomcdn.net
                  *.azureedge.net
                  *.msecnd.net
                  login.microsoftonline.com
                  login.live.com

Third-party services:

*.sendgrid.com
                  *.newrelic.com

Please let us know if we missed any.

• Manage which subscriptions/directories to show in the Directory list

I have way too many subscriptions/directories, including old ones that are no longer active (they have been deleted) and others I don't have access to anything. For the life of me I have tried everything to get the out of the list that comes up when I click on my user on the top right.

Please automatically filter those subscriptions/directories by enabled (bonus points for filtering when I have no access to anything) or allow me to filter them myself

15 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Use a standard menu for all resource features and config

Make sure all features and configuration options for a resource are available via a single, standardized menu. Use the blade for monitoring and the menu for everything else. Everything should be easy to find and navigate to from that menu and it should be rendered as a complete list at once -- do not update the menu after it's been rendered (that causes accidental mis-clicks because the menu jumps around).

(This was created based on common feedback we've heard in this area. Please feel free to add comments to help us plan and implement this in the best way possible…

6 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Resource management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • The selected directory is lost all the time.

The selected directory is lost all the time.

In half a dozen scenarios, the selected directory is lost, causing all sorts of trouble throughout the portal.
                      1. When you timeout and click "reload".
                      2. When the portal opens a new tab to get you into the SCM portal. This occurs from multiple places when configuring an Azure WebSite.
                      3. When you ctrl-click a link to open something in a new tab to have two copies of the portal open.
                      4. When you open a second copy of the portal by copy/pasting the URL.
                      5. A few more scenarios I've found…

6 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Search + navigation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Search should suggest related areas if no direct match

Firstly, IT Pro's don't think of "Recovery Services" they think of backup. So firstly, I think you should use industry terminology rather than "Microsoft speak".
                        Secondly, if I type in "backup", can search suggest related areas like "Did you mean Recovery Services?" or "Best Match: Recovery Services"

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search + navigation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Rbac: hide resources that users don't have read permissionsome for

Example: Today if you create a custom permissions role and don't assign a user read to Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines a user is still able to complete the wizard to create a new vm, once the deployment is submitted the deployment returns that the user doesnt have the correct permissions.

It would be preferred that the user can not access the blade to deploy a new vm.

2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Resource management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Fix the new portal to be more accessible with Windows screen readers, and/or give us an option to revert to the old one for a time.

Using the new portal with screen reading software is an incredibly frustrating experience. Some things are unlabelled or don't show up in certain instances, other things are somehow labelled so that their name is repeated eight times. It definitely needs proper accessibility testing. The problems are worst when using Firefox, but no matter the browser, accomplishing normal tasks is sometimes difficult if not impossible. Several links at the top of the main page are simply labelled "portal". These include notifications, support, and something else I'm not remembering. While I realize that accessibility probably takes a back seat, there needs to…

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Resource Group Summary Ellipsis

May I suggest replacing the ellipsis (...) in the Resource Group Summary section of the Resource Group Blade with "load more" or "click to see all". I have gotten complaints from users when I create a resource in a group for them and they are expecting to see it listed in the RG summary.

2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Resource management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Do we support WindowsAzure-China's accounts in Preview portal currently?

For accounts registered through https://account.windowsazure.cn/organization?offer=MS-MC-AZR-0044P, which means the accounts for Azure-China, is it supported to use the preview portal if we registered with a microsoft-email?

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Blob storage encryption at rest should be enabled by default (portal)

Given that Blob encryption at rest is completely transparent to applications, and that most business applications will require encryption at rest, I don't understand why it's not enabled by default. It would save a bunch of clicks for those using the Portal.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  0 comments  ·  Create + deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Cloud service role scale settings not displayed properly when multiple queue based scaling rules are defined

When multiple storage queue based scaling rules with the same settings, but for different queues from the same storage account, are defined for scaling up a cloud service role, the portal will not be able to display both rules (see explanation below and screenshot).

No matter which of the 2 rules stating "ApproximateMessageCount >= 5000 (increase count by 1)" are clicked, the scale rule panel on the right will always be opened for the same rule, so there is no way to edit or view the other one.

Please fix, if you need more information contact me by email.

Regards, …

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Tooltip for item type in all resources section of dashboard

Tooltip for item type in all resources section of dashboard

Please emit a tooltip for the type of item (virtual machine, resource group, etc.) when I hover my mouse over an item in the All Resources section of the dashboard.

Ironically, you already do this in the Feedback section of that same dashboard where it could be argued that the heart symbol and the word Feedback already signal what the one and only item in that section does.

So, basically, I’m asking you to use that same technique over in the All Resources section where I feel it is needed…

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Hide 3rd party resources from Browse menu

If a resource has not been deployed for a 3rd party application (TrendMicro, SendGrid, MyCloudIT, etc.) can these items be hid from the Browse list so we know which ones are absolutely 1st party and which are 3rd?

Thank you!

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search + navigation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Improve your dashboard online to make it more friendly to visually impaired.

I am a visually impaired person. It sucks, whaaaa... ok Past that and on to your site. Using page zoom within Internet Explorer prevented me access to the multiple broken frame like lost interface I received. I was able to repeat it for my wife.

Slightly stunned that such an organization or cobbler cant keep his shoe heals.

With respects.
                                          W.C. Sleeper

PS. If I am logged in to the network don't you already have my email instead of bugging me to enter it again..... Next field on this screen.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base