Azure portal

The Azure Portal a central place where you can provision, manage and monitor your Azure resources. From the Azure Portal you can create any of the thousands of items within the Azure Marketplace, you can quickly navigate to resources and accomplish your administrative needs, and you can build custom shareable dashboards to provide live insights into your deployed resources.

To gain early access to our latest features please make sure to visit the preview portal.
Preview.portal.azure.com is our early release soon to be in production.

Have any ideas or feature requests? We would love to hear your feedback! Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter to stay up to date on our latest updates @AzurePortal

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please please get rid of the leftmost menu and replace it with the menu that appears after clicking Browse

I hate clicking Browse to see the full list of services. It's an extra click for me. Put the full list on the leftmost panel and keep the filter textbox. Or merge the two menus together keeping the current leftmost panel at the top and full list at the bottom so users can still see most commonly used services. This is driving me nuts.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Search + navigation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When hovering over the tile 'all resources' a pop-up with brief description would be handy

The tiles already tell me whether it is a virtual machine of virtual network however especially in the beginning, when I'm new to Azure. The tiles aren't always clear to me. So a brief pop-up with the description would be handy. Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Dashboards + tiles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Offer shortcuts (Ctrl + S to save)

I use a lot the keyboard with tabs and shortcuts and it will be productive to have a Save shortcut instead of going to the save button

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Create deep links at subscription level, enabling users with multiple subscriptions to bookmark specific subscriptions

Create deep links at subscription level, enabling users with multiple subscriptions to bookmark specific subscriptions.

Nowadays, even using multiple Chrome profiles, it's hard to manage multiple subscriptions under the same MSA or AAD account. Service providers, consultants and support engineers could benefit from deep links on the interface, enabling them to bookmark specific subscriptions.

Filtering helps, but doesn't solve usability problems. It's hard to work with more than 5 subscriptions in the new portal.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Manage two azure resources at once

Currently if I want to manage two of my azure resources I have to open each one sequentially or open two browser windows. Ideally I'd like to be able to open the blade for both resources side by side, and dismiss all the blades that I used to navigate to the resource. I can then do side by side comparisons of settings etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Ability to add generic links / url's to resources

The ability to add generic URLs with a label to any resource from the portal or Powershell. This is useful for linking to configuration documents, debugging procedures, external inventory systems, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Resource management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Retry Database Creation Failure

If a database creation fails for some reason, provide the ability to edit and resubmit a request instead of starting from scratch each item.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. How about something more informative than "something went wrong"?

The portal shows that "Something went wrong," but really, that's not helpful. I think it's trying to show a virtual machine that no longer exists, but how is anyone supposed to figure that out if the message is as vague as "something."

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to browse for existing resources when entering parameters in Resource Group Template

It would be nice to allow browsing for an existing network/subnet (in different resource groups) or storage account.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Create + deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Improve how Azure reports that operations ended

During my work, I have noticed that many operations like updating, stopping or removing VMs are reported as completed before the requested changes have finished being applied. For example, if you remove a VM, the operation is reported as completed although disks need some extra time to be completely detached (and, thus, removed or reused).

That was one example but there are others. All these kinds of I-have-not-actually-finished-doing-the-work situations often break scripts. Manually implementing sleep-and-check code blocks is not a clean and safe option at all, because this is something that the API shoud offer.

Because all of this, we…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  1 comment  ·  Resource management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Either add an 8x4 or a 3x4

With the widgets on the screen I want to be able to have a large graph and then smaller graphs underneath it. With a 6x4 on top, I can't put (2) graphs beneath it and have it line up. Either make it so the large graph can be 8x4, or the smaller graphs 3x2. Personally I'd go with the 8x2

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Dashboards + tiles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Browse should only show everything I HAVE

"Browse Everything" should only show everything I HAVE. there is no way to easily see everything I have deployed like I can in the current portal.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  1 comment  ·  Search + navigation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 3 min video explaining new features

I was quite familiar with the management portal. But in the new portal, there are terms like "Resource Groups" and "App Service Plan" that I don't understand. I'd rather see one of those snazzy 3 min. videos to explain it than click through bubbles. I'm a Dev, Not a Sys Admin.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow adding properties to the main blade of each resource

In the current portal there is a lot of really useful information on the "Dashboard" view on the right hand side. These are now buried under Properties in the Settings blade. Please provide a way for me to embed these values into the main blade of a resource.

Preferably I'd be able to define what a website blade looks like for me once and then all websites would use that template. So I could add the properties one time and all would show it. I use websites as an example, but would love to have it for all resources.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. endless loop journeys

Azure Portal continues on and on when you clicking on resources (endless loop journeys). Surely it should know that the blade to the left is the one it’s trying to open and just go there?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Search + navigation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow dragging and dropping files into a website

It would be nice if there were a part that I could drag and drop files from my desktop directly into an Ibiza website.

Currently the only way I've found to quickly add files is to add them to my local repo and push, or to use the command line tool with curl or pipes to write files.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Associate an image to a resource group

I work for a consulting firm and we use resource groups to group items together for a particular project. It would be helpful to be able to associate an image or a graphic to a resource group to quickly distinguish them from each other.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. able to pin any item or vm to the dashboard

able to pin any item or vm to the dashboard and also live tiles e.g to be able to see the vm on the tile running for example you could see it installing an program

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Shift+Left Click to select range of items in grids/lists

I should be able to select a range of items within a grid/list by pressing shift+mouse left click

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Highlight status texts

"Running" "Stopped". those words are not easily acknowledged.
    Please give color to "stopped" to red or something different from Running status.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base