How can we improve SQL Data Sync?

Provide a roadmap for SQL Data Sync

Provide information on what Microsoft has in store for the future of Data Sync. There has been hardly any work or updates to it in years, it has been in preview for that whole time.
I really want to use this service as there is no equivalent on the market, but am hesitant to as it could be discontinued at any time.

Is this product dead?

72 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alan Parr shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We are actively working on the roadmap, and will share publically when we have a concrete plan. Meanwhile, it would be great if you could share with us what scenario are you looking to use sync for. If you would like to be contacted offline, do leave a message and I’ll get back to you. — Linda Wang

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rory,Gilleran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still in preview! Not available in new Azure Portal, and when accessing SQL DB through old portal we get the message "
        SQL Databases will soon be available only in the new portal. Try SQL Databases in the new portal now?"
        I was looking at using this to solve a major issue for our Operation Group. Please can we have an update on where Microsoft is going with this product.
        In this scenario Silence in NOT Golden.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is getting silly now Microsoft. This product has been in preview for years. Is there any plan to make this product GA? It's nearly two years since this particular post was added complaining about how long it's been!

• Damien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's now pushing towards the end of 2016. We are validating this in our dev environment, with very good result so far (syncing cloud to on premise sql server). Surely there must be some idea of what is happening with the GA release?

• Mallik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there are no alerts as of now if something goes wrong and for the support teams to host application this is something we rely on. we are sync'ing DBs from OnPrem to Cloud.

• Pushpa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Linda
        Could you please suggest the General Availability of Azure SQL Data Sync, we also need to base our development plan accordingly either to use preview or go for other options. Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry if this sounds harsh - but this is getting ridiculous. Azure has no viable, cost effective, platform level mechanism to sync PaaS databases. Sync agent on paper is a beautiful thing, but it is terribly unstable. Due to being forever in PREVIEW, Azure support will not help. This is looking really bad Microsoft...

• Jun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah.. it has taken too much time to be a preview.. We developers need to be shure when this will be available as standard option so can advance with our customers too..

• Linda Wang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Alan, I could get your mail address from the system. Will drop you mail later! Thanks, Linda.

• Alan Parr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Linda, are you able to access my email address from my account or do you need me to tell you my address here?

Feedback and Knowledge Base