How can we improve SQL Data Sync?

Support files and Windows Azure Blobs

Add synchronization capabilities for the Windows Azure Blob Service. Allow data to be synchronized between storage accounts and allow on-premises file data to be synchronized with the Blob Service.

103 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Mark Scurrell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  Shirley Wang responded  · 

This is a very interesting idea! We would like to know what specific usage you have in mind – for example, are you continuously generating operational logs on-prem and would like an utility to easily upload these files into blob storage for further analysis, maybe using HDInsight? Please post your comments!

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David Lean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Shirley,
    This could be handy to include on-prem SQL FileStream data into Azure Blob or File store objects.

Use Case:
    In bound. Web users upload media (pictures, video, audio) which eventually makes it into the more secure on-Prem ODS. (I'm thinking of a medical system here, where patients & regional medics could "cache" this stuff via the cloud.

Out Bound: Typical publishing scenario. On-Prem app that uses file streaming could have the media loaded up to a Blob store which is mapped to a CDN.

• Nirav Shah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Consider our enterprise that have data center in various locations , some on premise , on data center and few moving to Azure. A nice way to have central dashboard for metadata with Blobs and log files is a very nice addition.

• Chris Spain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to be able to use this feature to help sync blobs dedicated to my dev, qa, and production environments.

• Chris Kirby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I personally would use this feature for transferring sql azure backups and table data from azure to my on prem systems...for local usage, disaster recovery, and analysis. I also have usecases where i need to automate the transfer on on prem data to azure blob storage as well.

• Giorgos Maravelias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please focus the following cases that i will be describe , maybe help you to understand our needs .
    CASE A
    1)I have create an eshop that uses Azure Virtual Machine.
    2)The eshop reads and writes on SQL AZURE database (read product lists , writes online orders).
    3)The SQL Azure Database SYNCS every 5 minutes with on premise infrastructure. (So far So good).
    4)The eshop have more than 5.000 products , each product have max 5 photos , and each photo have 3 minimum versions based on the image size and all of them served via AZURE CDN network.
    5) The team that manages product and photos create all necessary photos that store all of them in a specific folder on on premises infrastructure.
    6)We have to create an application that runs frequently to keep both folders with photos synchronized (Between Blob Storage that is used in AZURE CDN and local folder on on premises infrastructure). (i have done all ready and it works but is tailor made for my customer)

If you had give the tool that can manage this process it will be more easy for us ( developers ).

CASE B

The table storage is very friendly for nonstructural data and ofcourse is more CHEAP and FASTER that SQL on Azure on some coditions. So if we had the ability to synchronization data from an Azure Table to on premises SQL Database table (or something like this) it will be amazing feature.
    The reason to need this is to keep an "offline" version of this data that the application that needs them does not have dependency on online networking .

This is my view of this idea!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base