SQL Data Sync

Azure SQL Data Sync (Preview) is a service that enables you to synchronize the data you select across multiple SQL Server and SQL Database instances. To synchronize your data you create sync groups which define the databases, tables and columns to synchronize as well as the synchronization schedule. Each sync group must have at least one SQL Database instance which serves as the sync group hub in a hub-and-spoke topology.

If you have any feedback on Azure SQL Data Sync service, we’d love to hear it.

How can we improve SQL Data Sync?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Sync data from Views to Tables

Allow the data source to be a view instead of a table. Allows me to transform the data a bit before it's put up into azure.

(Actually wonder if this it would work if I set the sync up with tables then switch them for views).

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a "Validate" or "Repair" function in the Sync Agent

Currently if the "instead of" triggers are (for whatever reason) removed from a table, changes are no longer tracked. In this scenario no logs are raised anywhere and the sync continues to show a healthy state, even though changes are no longer being sync'd from the client back to the Hub.
    When a DBA or application modifies the schema of the table it is possible that the result might be a table with similar structure but now without the triggers.
    We need a quick way to check for these kind of discrepancies and fix them when detected.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support change data capture

Instead of trigger based loads, Support Change data capture as a way to identify changes to a table.

We currently use CDC for incremental loads to our data warehouse, Adding triggers and tables to support Data Sync duplicates this information.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SQL Data Sync API to manually trigger a sync

We need a way to force a sync. With the minimum sync window of 5 mins we cannot guarantee prevention of data contention. For example, in a bookings system, the on premises database is always 5 mins out from potential web updates. Maintenance users want to add exclusions or blocks and need to know no new bookings were made in those slots. Likewise, if the on premises database makes entries, it needs to force those entries immediately to the web and not wait for the Sync. We see this as an important architectural requirement to an otherwise impressive service.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Change the subscriptions of DataSync

Presently there is option to change the subscription of azure SQL server but there is no such option to change\move the DataSync to other subscription.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow continuous synchronisation or intervals less than 5 minutes

Current smallest interval is 5 minutes, allow me to set this to between 1 and 4 minutes or a continuous synchronisation option. A wait of up to 5 minutes for sync is not always acceptable.

94 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Shorten the time for loading Log page

Currently the Azure Sync Log inside the Portal take too much time to load if my sync group was created long time ago. i.e. for those new sync group with only a few logs, it will take around 5 seconds for loading. However, I've many sync group created more than 1 year, and it will take me up to 10 minutes for viewing the first page of the logs.

It seems the Portal will download ALL the logs to my browser even I just want to view the most recent logs (maybe I just want to view the last 10…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Shirley Wang responded

You are absolutely right! The log page currently loads all log messages and there isn’t a way to filter by time range. We will add this to our backlog. Thank you for your suggestion!

8. The UI status should be more accurate of what is processing or in progress.

The message should be more accurate like "Processing - Sync Provisioning", "Processing - Sync of Group ID 'dsafksdfjds' in progress "

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great feedback! Agree that the progress message can be more accurate! Thank you for your suggestion.

9. Keep Sync

Amazingly powerful SQL Sync Tool in Azure -- easy to use and well done. I'd like to vote to move it out of Preview and into the Standard features as this is going to be a great selling point to Azure SQL. The only hesitation I have to using it more is because it has a warning to not use it in a Production environment. Thus my concern is if it would go away. We have numerous customers that can benefit from this technology but need some assurance it will be a long lasting feature. Thanks.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are working hard on a plan to move Data Sync forward. Thank you for your suggestion.

10. Export-Import Sync Groups

Have an option to script out sync groups. Or import-export sync rules, this will help save some time to set up same sync rules for multiple environments, rather than setting up sync rule for each table.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your suggestion! We will consider this request as we priority our feature backlog.

11. Prevent resetting REGION after selecting subscription when creating a new Sync Group

In Japanese language portal,
    when I try to create a new Sync Group,
    I enter NAME, select REGION 'east asia' and then select one subscription from our multiple subscriptions.

However after selecting one subscription,
    it causes the region reset to US north.

I hope the region remains my selection.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Support a scheduled synchronization

Add support for synchronizations to occur at a specific, reoccurring, time. Optional would be a timeout to stop the synchronization if it passes a certain time or a period.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Support all data types like money, bigint and varbinary.

I can't use SQL Data Sync because it doesn't support all data types yet.
    If MS Azure team starts to support other data types, I'll use the SQL Data Sync service.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback! We will consider this request as we priority our feature backlog.

14. Allow data-tier applications (dacpacs) to work with Data Sync

Data-tier applications currently don't work well with Data Sync because Data Sync modify the schema of a database which is wiped away when the dacpac is deployed again.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I believe this is indicative of a need to boostrap a speedy initial sync experience – we need to scale the initial sync to support 10’s of GB or even to 150GB.

15. Support Schema

Support tables with same table name but under different scheams in one database.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add support for circular foreign key dependencies

Curently if the database contains circular foreign key dependencies the Azure Data Sync will not deploy the sync group reporting the error:
    Cannot deploy the sync group because there is a circular foreign key dependency

313 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    25 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support compression

Most of the data being passed as datasets is highly compressible. We have created methods to compress/decompress the data when batched, but it would be nice to support this option out of the box to minimize the amount of data being sent over the wire.

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We are evaluating the priority and cost for implementing this.

18. Provide a progress bar for a given Sync Group rather than just displaying "Synchronizing..."

Some type of progress bar indicating where the synchronization stands for a given sync group would be very helpful. e.g., I have been looking at a synchronization in progress for the last hour and I have no idea if the sync is actually doing anything or if it's stalled and just displays "Synchronizing".

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Support syncing federated tables.

When voting for this feature we would appreciate it if you enter a comment with the specific support you require; e.g. sync on-premises SQL Server with a federated database; sync between federated databases; sync reference data between partitions; etc.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Given that most Windows Azure SQL Database customers are now advised to use with custom sharding pattern for scale-out, we are re-evaluating when you would want to use sync for a sharded environment – is it syncing from on-prem SQL Server to multiple shards in the cloud, synchronizing between the shards in the cloud, or syncing from multiple shards down to on-prem SQL Server? We’d appreciate your input on this.

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Data Sync

Feedback and Knowledge Base